Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 12-15-2012, 08:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 Mastercraft X-10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
The point is to make sure you don't launch a boat the doesn't start and then need to get it back on the trailer.
That was the contention of my dealer. And, he seemed to know his stuff.

However, power launching would take more time than what I'm currently doing (floating the boat off), because of the skills and comfort zones of those with me. And - - - knock on wood - - - I've not had an engine fail to start in more than a decade. I think the chance of a boat failing to start is pretty low.

I will also crank the boat in the driveway prior to leaving, just to make sure the battery is alive and well. I'm not sure if people are for or against *that*, but I'd rather know if there is juice in the system before heading to the lake.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:04 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1992 ProStar 205, 1991 Ski Pro
Quote:
I will also crank the boat in the driveway prior to leaving, just to make sure the battery is alive and well.
Not a bad idea.

A few years ago I summarized the boat in the driveway prior to going to the lake. Everything worked fine, it fired right up, as it always did.

When I arrived at the lake an hour later I confidently backed the boat in the water, knowing that I was prepared. I turned the key: nothing! The engine was still warm! Somehow, on the 20 minute drive to the lake, one of the wires on the ignition switch loosened up just enough so that it wouldn't crank. All of a sudden I was "that guy".

No one else there was interested in my explanation of what happened, I was just another guy tying up the ramp whose boat didn't start.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 Mastercraft X-10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Rita View Post
Not a bad idea.

A few years ago I summarized the boat in the driveway prior to going to the lake. Everything worked fine, it fired right up, as it always did.

When I arrived at the lake an hour later I confidently backed the boat in the water, knowing that I was prepared. I turned the key: nothing! The engine was still warm! Somehow, on the 20 minute drive to the lake, one of the wires on the ignition switch loosened up just enough so that it wouldn't crank. All of a sudden I was "that guy".

No one else there was interested in my explanation of what happened, I was just another guy tying up the ramp whose boat didn't start.
I should knock on wood, as I've not had that happen in as long as I can remember. When it did (due to a failing fuel pump on my old SeaRay), it was on a Wednesday afternoon in early June and there was very little traffic and I luckily didn't hold anyone up.

After writing my post, I read a number of messages contending that it is bad to crank your boat out of the water . . . bad for the impeller, which then can fail and overhead the engine. I guess I can understand that in theory, but I question if 1 second of cranking will damage the impeller (which I will continue to replace yearly.)
Old 12-16-2012, 10:52 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
my .02... if you plan to float off make sure you don't get too deep with trailer. most boat hull damage caused by trailers being too deep. When trailer to deep nose of trailer structure becomes a hazard because bunks will not be able to life bow above brackets etc. Sorry to bring this back up CC2MC but here's what can happen when trailer too deep.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=51531
Mike, still hurts... I am not sure that his 2004 trailer, if it is an 04 trailer, has the fwd roller. Maybe it does, but the worn out roller was my issue.