Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 12-13-2012, 07:59 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2006 X-15
x-15 ballast

Just bought a 2006 x-15. I was wanting some input and advise on adding ballast to it. It has the factory in it now. Also when adding what ballast you advise please also tell me what prop you are using. Thank you in advance.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:58 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Mainship Pilot 30
I usually use a 400 in each v drive locker, and a 750 in the front on top of full factory ballast. I have whatever prop comes on the x star. That's plenty big at 22.0 mph.
Pictures of said boat!!!
Old 12-13-2012, 11:57 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aric'sX15 View Post
I usually use a 400 in each v drive locker, and a 750 in the front on top of full factory ballast. I have whatever prop comes on the x star. That's plenty big at 22.0 mph.
Pictures of said boat!!!
So was the 750 in the walkway?

I'm thinking of adding extra ballast as well but I'd like to keep the front ballast out of sight as well. From the wakemaker site it says the the bow sac will still get you 400 to 550 if under the seats. I suspect that for an x-15 it might be closer to the 400lbs.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:29 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2011 X-25
I've got the X-2 bags plumbed into the rear storage lockers... I recall them being 450 lbs each. If I fill full factory ballast plus the two rear locker bags, the wake is a bit abrupt. When I'm motivated enough, I add some weight to the front or put a 750 in the walkway and the wake shapes up better. Full up with weight like that, the wake cleans up at 65' at maybe 21mph. There is room in the rear storage lockers to do taller custom bags, but I'm not sure longer bags (like cheaper 750s) would actually fill much more than the 450s.

I have the MCX engine and stock '08 prop - I think 14.25x14. At max weight and 3 passengers on board, it does get on plane, but it takes longer than with less weight. I've never timed it, but I'd guess it takes 5-10 seconds more time to get to wakeboarding speed than if I just have factory ballast.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:41 AM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneBoatN View Post
So was the 750 in the walkway?

I'm thinking of adding extra ballast as well but I'd like to keep the front ballast out of sight as well. From the wakemaker site it says the the bow sac will still get you 400 to 550 if under the seats. I suspect that for an x-15 it might be closer to the 400lbs.
It's the v shaped bow sac I set on top of my seat.

Also with that much weight going 21 mph is too slow. 22 is perfect.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:37 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
It's the v shaped bow sac I set on top of my seat.

Also with that much weight going 21 mph is too slow. 22 is perfect.
I think I want to put it under the seats in the bow. I want some more weight up front but I'm far from ready for a "slammed" boat. I was liking 21.5 as it was but then I started trying lower speeds. I think the lower speeds were being counter productive so I think I'm going to go back to 21.5 or 22 when I start out again next season.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:20 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
I think I want to put it under the seats in the bow. I want some more weight up front but I'm far from ready for a "slammed" boat. I was liking 21.5 as it was but then I started trying lower speeds. I think the lower speeds were being counter productive so I think I'm going to go back to 21.5 or 22 when I start out again next season.
If you put it under the seats, and fill up 400's in the locker, you'll have some perfect pass issues because when you hit wakes, the nose goes up in the air and the PP paddlewheel comes out of the water, which makes the perfect pass floor the engine. So I would for sure recommend more in the front, or less in the back to get a better 60/40 split (rear 60, front 40). It's plenty big for me! I'm just learning a few inverts, so I'd say I'm about average. I have a neighbor that will do whirly 3's and scarecrows off my wake with factory ballast, but I just like it bigger for more fun. It's just all about your preference.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:41 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
If you put it under the seats, and fill up 400's in the locker, you'll have some perfect pass issues because when you hit wakes, the nose goes up in the air and the PP paddlewheel comes out of the water, which makes the perfect pass floor the engine. So I would for sure recommend more in the front, or less in the back to get a better 60/40 split (rear 60, front 40). It's plenty big for me! I'm just learning a few inverts, so I'd say I'm about average. I have a neighbor that will do whirly 3's and scarecrows off my wake with factory ballast, but I just like it bigger for more fun. It's just all about your preference.
Yep, I have some of that problem now with just the stock ballast and if no one is sitting in the bow. I was thinking of not so much in the back. So my question, is it ok to not fill the bags 100% in the rear lockers. I'm afraid the bags would then slosh around if not 100% filled.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:50 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Yep, I have some of that problem now with just the stock ballast and if no one is sitting in the bow. I was thinking of not so much in the back. So my question, is it ok to not fill the bags 100% in the rear lockers. I'm afraid the bags would then slosh around if not 100% filled.
They don't really. The only problem I've ever had is them sliding back and putting pressure on the back piece of plastic that separates the raw fiberglass from the back compartment. But it just goes back into place. I would personally just load up the front more, because with more weight in the back, it gives you more pop.