Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 08-07-2012, 02:34 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxerob View Post
Accelerator pump needed to be re-installed. It has a good shot from idle now.

Problem now is starting. When I took the carb apart, I fixed the pump but then adjusted the float. I have it set parallel to the bottom now. When I brought it back out it fired up but I forgot to put the choke wires on so it died. Reconnected that and inspected the linkage and it seemed to be fine.

From there, it was very hard to start. Turned the idle mix screws back in waited a while, pumped the gas a few times and it started but rough. Adjusted idle screws pump the gas a few times to see if the accelerator pump was adjusted properly and it ran pretty well. After about 10 min, I shut it down.

Came out this morning to fire it up and got nothing. The crank from the battery seems a bit low and I noticed there was fuel coming from the venturies (sp?), which I thought wasn't supposed to happen at idle. If the float level is set incorrectly, could that be sending fuel through the Venturi? Other than that, it's idle screws or bad battery... Can I test the battery with it connected?

Sent using Tapatalk
You are on the right track. Sounds like you need to look at the float level again. Also, with a properly working accelerator pump, you may only need to pump the throttle once. More than that may be too much. You might also use a can of carb cleaner to check the base gasket for vacuum leaks.

Tandem Axle Trailer Special
Includes: 4 T07 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda
Loadstar KR03 Radial tires, mount and balance
Free Delivery

ALUMINUM WHEEL AND TIRE PACKAGES
SINGLE AXLE 14" PACKAGE STARTING AT $369
SINGLE AXLE 15" PACKAGE STARTING AT $439
TANDEM AXLE 14" PACKAGE STARTING AT $649
LED lights, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts
GOLF CART TIRES & WHEELS

PM me or email tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 08-07-2012, 06:28 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1984 Mastercraft Powershot S&S
Ok. She fires now. I opened the pin on the float more so that it was higher than level and it seemed to make a difference. It takes a few cranks to get it to fire but after one to two pumps of the throttle she gives in.

I guess my remaining head scratcher is if the oat level is higher... Wouldn't that deliver more fuel in got the bowl?

Sent using Tapatalk
Old 08-08-2012, 07:11 PM
TT Regular

Pump is stuck again!!!! >(

I'm going to deal with it until it's really an issue and try to enjoy the rest of the trip. Fixed the fuel in the secondaries tho so it fires up right away.

Sent using Tapatalk
Old 08-13-2012, 01:47 PM
TT Regular

The Altitude ate 'ol honey ALIVE! Eventually it fouled the plugs and burned out the coil (I think from trying to start it too much). Not the best trip but a learning experience. I am going to see if I can go back in Sept. for labor day with different jets and some other things.

The numbers stamped on the side of the jet is 266... is that a 1/4" 66 jet size? The rule I read was a size down for every 2000ft of elevation. It's about 7000ft up there so I would have to jet down considerably.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:50 PM
TT Regular

Been a while since I posted on here. The wife and I were able to get old honey out one last time in Sept. I started grad school and the wife is working a few jobs. Our free time is very limited.

I did have to replace the coil from the trip up north. It burnt out and the plugs also were fouled up. Ran really well down in SoCal.

Going to try to winterize this thing soon. I found a few checklist here but they were for a 93 ProStar. Should be pretty similar, no?
Old 10-24-2012, 07:06 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 Stars and Stripes Powerslot
Should be. There are five drain plugs on a PCM 351. One for each riser, one aft on the left side of block, one forward on the right side of block, and one at the bottom of the J tube (between raw water pump and main water pump). If you're lucky (I haven't been so far) your boat will have been regularly winterized in the past, and you'll have an easy time getting your plugs out. My boat was a garaged SF bay area boat, and I'm pretty sure they never winterized it.

I've had both riser plugs disintegrate on me during removal so far Luckily they disintegrated so badly that getting the remains out, while tedious, has not been terribly hard, aside from the terrible contortions I've had to put myself in to see what I'm doing lol.
Old 12-15-2012, 02:17 PM
TT Regular

Luckily I live in SoCal where temp is not an issue in terms of winterizing. I decided to not winterize this season and simply start the boat ever month and let it get to temp. I am happy to report that the last two times have been very easy. Just fired her up a few moments ago and I'm sitting next to a purring motor as I type
Old 12-15-2012, 04:26 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxerob View Post
Luckily I live in SoCal where temp is not an issue in terms of winterizing. I decided to not winterize this season and simply start the boat ever month and let it get to temp. I am happy to report that the last two times have been very easy. Just fired her up a few moments ago and I'm sitting next to a purring motor as I type
Dang..........just heard they are going to plow our streets starting in 90 minutes.

Tandem Axle Trailer Special
Includes: 4 T07 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda
Loadstar KR03 Radial tires, mount and balance
Free Delivery

ALUMINUM WHEEL AND TIRE PACKAGES
SINGLE AXLE 14" PACKAGE STARTING AT $369
SINGLE AXLE 15" PACKAGE STARTING AT $439
TANDEM AXLE 14" PACKAGE STARTING AT $649
LED lights, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts
GOLF CART TIRES & WHEELS

PM me or email tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 12-15-2012, 07:22 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
Dang..........just heard they are going to plow our streets starting in 90 minutes.
Don't forget to take lot's of pictures of Kyle braving the cold...sorry for thread jack... now back to original thread...

No winterizing...means you can ski all year...right?
Old 12-17-2012, 01:23 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Mainship Pilot 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctjahn View Post
And my wife and I dated for just short of a decade before we tied the knot. Dont want to rush in to these things...

Beautiful boat!

Cj

1978 MC S&S
Wisconsin

Which brings the point of: Has anyone been dedicated enough to get married on the MC? Or a lake? (hate to thread-jack; so maybe a new thread is in order. We got married pre-MC; low key, low maintenance wedding in the woods on a nice cool june day followed up by an equally low key, low maintenance reception of food and beer!)
Some one out here in Texas got married on his X45!