Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 12-06-2012, 07:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None
My buddy has a 94 Maristar 200 Direct Drive. I own a 89 PS and although my wake is noticeably better, I do not mind skiing behind his boat at all. As far as handeling, like it has been said, its not a Pro Star. When I go back and fourth between the two I notice a huge differecnce. The Maristar does not handle as well at low speeds or high speeds. The other comment I have as to rough water is this: although I have never been uncomfortable in chop on it be advised IT WILL EASILY take water over the bow if you are not careful. With two people up front when you come off plane and dont pay attention they are getting drenched.

Just my thoughts....
Old 12-07-2012, 12:03 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
For receational wakeboarding you're fine. For more than that throw in some ballast and this boat can take you pretty far. As noted the platform is pretty small, and it's hard to hang your fins off as you put your board on, as the sides of the platform are covered by the extended side of the hull. For an inboard boat the rough water handling is amazing. For manners near the dock, not nearly as nice as my S&S. If you want to slalom, throw 50-100 lbs as close to the nose as possible. We've been putting 2 50lbs bags of lead under the bow seat of my neighbor's SAN210TE against the throughbolts for the bow eye. Makes the wake as low and soft as my S&S, but a tad wider from speeds from 30-36. Keep in mind anyone getting past 28 off would encounter significant spray, but in my experience very few people skiing 32 or better would go behind any boat in the v-drive wakeboard, family use categories. For what you're describing I think this is a great general use boat, that can usually be had at a relatively reasonable price point.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:18 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1995 Mastercraft Maristar 200 VRS
QUOTE]

Mine is one of the 95s with the porpoising issue. I eventually will put a wake plate on it to fix that problem. I agree with the platform. I didn't think it would be a big problem, but it is smaller and a little tricky getting used to. Being recreational skiers, the wake is fine for us and I love the extra room. It doesn't handle like my old S&S or my 89 Prostar, but we needed the extra room. If I had to do it all over again, I would stay away from the integrated platform.[/quote]

Hello, I have a 95 VRS Maristar that I picked up a few months ago. I noticed a couple people mention that they don't like the integrated swim platform - why is that? This is my first MC after owning 3 vintage v-drive boats, so this is my first boat with a platform. And a hand throttle, and a windshield, and cup holders, etc.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:32 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 79 S&S, 87 Prostar Powerslot, 95 Maristar 200VRS
Send a message via Yahoo to ahhudgins
Quote:
Originally Posted by walterlaughlin View Post
QUOTE]

Mine is one of the 95s with the porpoising issue. I eventually will put a wake plate on it to fix that problem. I agree with the platform. I didn't think it would be a big problem, but it is smaller and a little tricky getting used to. Being recreational skiers, the wake is fine for us and I love the extra room. It doesn't handle like my old S&S or my 89 Prostar, but we needed the extra room. If I had to do it all over again, I would stay away from the integrated platform.
Hello, I have a 95 VRS Maristar that I picked up a few months ago. I noticed a couple people mention that they don't like the integrated swim platform - why is that? This is my first MC after owning 3 vintage v-drive boats, so this is my first boat with a platform. And a hand throttle, and a windshield, and cup holders, etc.[/quote]

After owning a 79 S&S with a fiberglass platform and an 87 with the teak platform, the integrated platform on my 95 is much smaller in width and length. When you pull yourself out of the water with the grab handle, your face is in the stern before you even have time to turn your body around. I don't let anyone put on their board or skis while on the platform (except me ) because they always bang the board into the sides of the hull which enclose the platform. Mastercraft did not seal the rubrail completely past the water line so I had to pull the carpet up and add some silicone on the inside of the rubrail...it leaked pretty bad.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:44 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft Maristar 200 VRS 1998 5.7 Indmar
Hi Frank I am reading about the two styles per 98 and post 98. I like the year where the ski pylon is back in the rear seat, not in the middle on the floor.. Do you have the brochures showing both?
Old 01-08-2013, 11:38 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
I'll see what I can find. Most of the Maristars have the pylon behind the rear seat; perhaps someone else will chime in with what years had them in the floor - I think only the early 240SC's? Those were a vastly different boat.
Old 01-14-2013, 01:26 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1995 Mastercraft Maristar 200 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankSchwab View Post
I'll see what I can find. Most of the Maristars have the pylon behind the rear seat; perhaps someone else will chime in with what years had them in the floor - I think only the early 240SC's? Those were a vastly different boat.
My 95 has the pylon in the floor. We call it the stripper pole. I wish it was behind the rear seat though.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:23 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 79 S&S, 87 Prostar Powerslot, 95 Maristar 200VRS
Send a message via Yahoo to ahhudgins
My 95 had no pylon when I purchased it used, but the hardware was in place under the floor. I fabricated my own pylon and mounted it behind the rear seat.