Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 12-08-2012, 05:25 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
I like what you are thinking! I do want one of those for the pond eventually.....either that or I might try to kidnap Twiggy the skiing squirell and put him/her behind an MC!
Old 12-09-2012, 12:35 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None
That would be sweet.....
Attached Images

Old 12-09-2012, 04:21 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
jk keep that water pumped out of your footer or you may have problems with settlement of the walkout.
X2 on the insulation outside the fdn walls.
The main objectives with the bfill are compaction and drainage down to the perimeter drain. You could use drain board on the fdn walls and bfill w native or use free draining material like gravel or sand with no drain board.
Run the cost, labor to place and compact the native clay plus drain board vs cost of sand or gravel ( less labor since less compaction effort reqd ).
Regarding not overrunning on gravel, a good excavator operator can "pinch" the gravel in reducing gravel qty but you will still need to compact like it was all native material.
It's coming along nicely. Once you get out of the mud and start framing it'll really fly!

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN

Last edited by Thrall; 12-09-2012 at 04:24 AM.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:48 AM
MC Devotee

The basement block is nearing completion.

We are getting closer to having the basement block all done. As of late yesterday the walkout area was pretty much done leaving only the south wall of the walkout and the garage left to do. The garage would be quick if it did not fall in a low spot causing it to be 10 course on the front side and 7 course on the back........YES, that is a lot of fill material!

The mason's are saying they will be done on Friday and the waterproofers will be next in-line, then I get to start rough grading and filling the garage. At this point, the framers are "scheduled" to begin on December 26th.
Attached Images

Old 12-12-2012, 07:17 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkski View Post
We are getting closer to having the basement block all done. As of late yesterday the walkout area was pretty much done leaving only the south wall of the walkout and the garage left to do. The garage would be quick if it did not fall in a low spot causing it to be 10 course on the front side and 7 course on the back........YES, that is a lot of fill material!

The mason's are saying they will be done on Friday and the waterproofers will be next in-line, then I get to start rough grading and filling the garage. At this point, the framers are "scheduled" to begin on December 26th.
You could eliminate filling it if you dig deeper and install a pit, so you can work on vehicles standing underneath. Probably cheaper if you just install a lift, though. Either way, it beats laying on a creeper.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:25 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
You could eliminate filling it if you dig deeper and install a pit, so you can work on vehicles standing underneath. Probably cheaper if you just install a lift, though. Either way, it beats laying on a creeper.
That is a great idea, where were you during the planning phase!!! I would love to do that but I thought about it more for the pole barn as opposed to the garage, although I really do not work on my own cars much anymore as it is all too technical and "when" I screw something up it ends up costing me 3 times as much!
Old 12-12-2012, 09:33 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
That is a great idea, where were you during the planning phase!!! I would love to do that but I thought about it more for the pole barn as opposed to the garage, although I really do not work on my own cars much anymore as it is all too technical and "when" I screw something up it ends up costing me 3 times as much!
How will you work on that classic car when you buy it?
Old 12-12-2012, 11:15 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 Prostar 190, LTR 330
Quote:
I was going to keep my mouth shut because I knew the plans are set, but Jim opened the door for me...

My cousin had the same situation with the garage on his build, so he added a little gun room down there. Half reloading lab, half gun display center. It's awesome.

Others might add wine cellar.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:11 PM
MC Master Poster

What, no gun range?
Old 12-12-2012, 12:14 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
What, no gun range?
Now that be nice.

Tandem Axle Trailer Special