Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 12-07-2012, 03:02 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
darn...if I didn't have to sticks...I would buy it...but then I would be in trouble... I know what kyle will say to this if he sees this post...
Right now, I have a Radar Vice, Radar MPD, HO Monza, an older CDX1, and an HO Truth (my wife's technically). My wife is riding the Monza from time to time, but I doubt she would care if I sold it and kept the MPD for her.

I don't see having two skis as an impediment to buying a third. Buy it, try it, like it, keep it, or if you don't like it, sell it. Variety is the spice of life.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:33 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '91 PS190, 351 w/'slot
Anyone know what the differences are between the 2010 and 2013 HO Freeride? I found a 2010 for $90 new, and want to get one if not much has changed.

lots...the 2010 is what I sold dual channel bottom very stable easy to get up on....but very stiff - 2013 complete redesign..beveled single concave bottom...new wake board type starting mid ski and new fin. It's a cool ski...I hope to demo on just for snicks...

2010 is a good open water ski, but it's turn hard and you really have to work it...I enjoyed it...

Last edited by mikeg205; 12-09-2012 at 06:41 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:34 AM
MC Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxhideout View Post
I want something fairly aggressive so I don't outgrow it in a few months, and in case I want to compete.
If you want something you don't outgrow in a few months and considering the idea of competition, I'd suggest looking for something different than the Comp Freeride. HO's website describes that as a ski to have in every boat. It's designed for getting people up on a slalom ski. My experience with that type of ski is that it works well for getting up easily, but doesn't do as well as you begin to want to ski more aggressively. There are skis a level down from the high end stuff that aren't as stiff of a flex and may use more dampening materials in the core that would suit your desire for something that would grow with you a bit better. I know the price is attractive. But the phrase, buy once, cry once rings true here.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:41 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier View Post
If you want something you don't outgrow in a few months and considering the idea of competition, I'd suggest looking for something different than the Comp Freeride. HO's website describes that as a ski to have in every boat. It's designed for getting people up on a slalom ski. My experience with that type of ski is that it works well for getting up easily, but doesn't do as well as you begin to want to ski more aggressively. There are skis a level down from the high end stuff that aren't as stiff of a flex and may use more dampening materials in the core that would suit your desire for something that would grow with you a bit better. I know the price is attractive. But the phrase, buy once, cry once rings true here.
^^ what easttx says...that's why sold mine...easy to get up on - hard to get aggressive. It will do it.. it's not a complete wide body - but it is a fat ski.
Old 12-10-2012, 06:18 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
NEVER buy a Monza. PERIOD

They first are non forgiving.

Second of all the break in Half. Mine broke in half and the only thing keeping it in 1 piece is the bottom laminate of the ski.

I coached a guy at our club during a ski league. He started skiing like crap. I removed his bindings and noticed the same exact problem.

The top laminate was broken and the core was broken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 12-10-2012, 06:21 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355181575.057328.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  40.1 KB
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355181621.086381.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  44.4 KB

I ski on the HO a2 and like it. Also skied on the a1. Phntmski in my friends has it now.

Both are good skis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 12-10-2012, 08:05 PM
MC Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
NEVER buy a Monza. PERIOD

They first are non forgiving.

Second of all the break in Half. Mine broke in half and the only thing keeping it in 1 piece is the bottom laminate of the ski.

I coached a guy at our club during a ski league. He started skiing like crap. I removed his bindings and noticed the same exact problem.

The top laminate was broken and the core was broken.
Anecdotal, perhaps, but my 2005 prototype Monza was a blast to ski. At 7 years old, it's still fun for my wife to ride. Maybe the quality went down over the years, but my pointy tip monza with system 8 graphics is a great ski. I didn't find it terribly unforgiving either, although I definitely liked the MPD better.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Old 12-10-2012, 11:01 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '91 PS190, 351 w/'slot
Any of these you guys recommend? I'd like to keep everything $300 or less.

http://www.wakehouse.com/slalom-wate...?sort=priceasc
Old 12-10-2012, 11:20 PM
MC Hero

Radar Senate for $299. If you want to go cheaper, HO Mach 1.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Old 12-10-2012, 11:26 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxhideout View Post
Any of these you guys recommend? I'd like to keep everything $300 or less.

http://www.wakehouse.com/slalom-wate...?sort=priceasc
I have bought from them. I bought a rear basis... I had the model before hand. I enjoyed this ski and logged many hours on it. Traxxx here bought and put a nice set of bindings on it. Very forgiving...never fell over the front of it...I would suggest a short ski on this model...not many adjustments on rudder. Get them leg muscles and core ready...you''ll need them to get this ski to go thru it's paces... It's a fun ski.

I would go with the 2010 - not much changed until 2013.

I bought this ski and a 2012 coefficient.. I like the Triumph way over the comp. The Triumph will take you from beginner to novice.. Turning the Triumph is much easier than turning the comp free ride... if you wait the their will be good sales in the spring - keep looking - I go my Triumph for $150.00 from the same guy selling 2010's for 229.99.

Go see Corey at www.Waterskis.com he'll give you great information and set you up.

Tags
bindings, boots, mastercraft, ski, slalom