Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 12-10-2012, 06:34 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
Whirlpool bath's, educate me a little.

I am looking for a 60x36 rectangular drop-in whirlpool bath for the new house and I need some advice. I am trying not to break the bank as truthfully, if this gets used once a week I would be surprised, so think cost effective. I want it to have 8 jets and I do not need top of the line.

That being said, we have looked at several models and of all places, Lowes had a nice Jacuzzi brand that was $748 with a 1hp motor and 8 jets but the guy in plumbing warned us against any brand other than WaterTech, pointing out that it is the only brand that is plumbed with schedule 40 pipe and that they come with a larger pump, generally 2hp. Obviously the price is reflective of the product and more than I care to spend on something that will rarely be used.

So, bring on the advice and keep me well under $1k while not having to rip the thing out in 2-3 years to replace it!
Old 12-10-2012, 08:50 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
I have one in my bath it's a whirlpool 6 jet and about 7 yrs old and its used a couple times a week (kids) has never missed a beat, unsure of the hp rating though...

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Old 12-10-2012, 09:08 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 92 Prostar
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.mccreight@hotmail.com View Post
I have one in my bath it's a whirlpool 6 jet and about 7 yrs old and its used a couple times a week (kids) has never missed a beat, unsure of the hp rating though...
We've got one. Livied in this house I built 10 years. probably used the jets MAYBE 10 times!
Old 12-10-2012, 09:15 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: White/Red 91 PS 190
last house I was in I had a Kohler..... used it 3+ times a week (back & leg problems)
wishing I had it now, torn calf muscle

Team MasterCraft Google Search Engine
Old 12-10-2012, 09:52 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
Save your money and get an outdoor jacuzzi.

The indoor ones aren't worth the money.

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 12-10-2012, 10:04 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X30
Forget the jacuzzi bath - if you want bubbles buy a hot tub. I'm a production home builder and I can tell you that we do very few jetted tubs anymore.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:32 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 07 xstar
indoor jetted tubs are a pita to keep hoses/lines clean of bacteria, dirty bath water sits in the lines and can become a huge problem
but then outdoors tubs are nasty too
Old 12-10-2012, 10:36 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
I'll echo the same sentiment. Cool idea, but for us anyway, hardly ever used.
If you do get one, make sure you run it periodically. Unless you want to see the nasty cr@p that comes out of it after the water has sat in the jet/hoses for a year!
Also install adequate access to the pump/plmbg. Nothing like having to tear apart your tub surround or cut a hole in the ceiling below to fix it.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 12-10-2012, 10:42 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1994 PS 190 TBI
I have a Jason brand in my 10 y/o home and it has been reliable. I have to say my son used it a lot when he was younger, us not so much. They are hard to clean and realy not very good when it comes to muscle massage. We put in a outdoor spa 60 days ago and yesterday was the first time I haven't gotten into it. So far superior to the jetted tubs.
Important!, If you do the large tub make sure you have a water heater that will fill it properly. I used a 75 gallon water heater at the time. Tankless may be an option as well. Inline heaters are also an option. We did not get one and it seems to work for our short soaks. Allthough, I stay in our new spa way longer because it is SO FAR SUPERIOR. Good Luck and don't cheap out, you get one chance to get it right.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:55 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by snork View Post
indoor jetted tubs are a pita to keep hoses/lines clean of bacteria, dirty bath water sits in the lines and can become a huge problem
but then outdoors tubs are nasty too
Same here. I put a unit in our rental and have not heard of any problems since then. However, my wife is nervious about nasty lines, bacteria, etc so this time, we opted to just install a deep tub and exclude the jetted stuff. Cleaner, cheaper and lower maintenance.

With that said, if you do go jetted, you may need two separate power supplies brought to the tub. One for the jet motor and a second one for an in-line heater. For our rental, I ran 2-20A dedicated lines. For large volumes of water, you'll need a great water heater that can fill the whole thing up without running out. The in-line heater helps maintain that heat while the jets are going. Worth considering if you go this direction.

Also, look on Amazon too. It's just crazy some of the prices.... I got a cast iron Kohler tub with free shipping at a very good price. Try finding any name brand, cast iron tub at HD or Lowes....

I did get our two larger master tubs off of HD's website. Saved probably $500 per tub that way for some strange reason.

1994 205, LT1