Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 10-10-2012, 01:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 x30
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherd View Post
Got the Green Egg lump, which generally seems to be the best.
I use the Green Egg firestarters to get it going.
After the lump gets burning, I close the lid, open the bottom vent all the way, and open the cast iron vent on top all the way.
And let it burn.

A few times, I've had the temp in the 800 range, and even pegged. But when I actually try to get a high temp like that it seems I can't. I could only get it up to 500 when I made a pizza a few days ago. 500 is adequate, but I was hoping to get up to the 600-700 range.
I'm thinking the only variable is lump quality. I put on a new Rutland gasket a few months ago and it's still good.

Any tips? I think I remember somebody mentioning a fan blower attachment thing that blows on the coals to increase heat...
As far as what lump to use i would recommend checking out this site. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpindexpage.htm?bag

I use the Publix Brand Greenwise because it is rated high, inexpensive and much more accessible for me.

As far as getting high temperatures I find itís more important to build the lump in a bit of an OCD manner. I can get 800 any time i want it. I start with a clean fire box and start with the Large lumps on the bottom, then fill in the holes with medium followed by small. (I separate out each bag i buy into large, medium and small 5 gallon buckets so itís easy to do the above.) The large followed by the medium keep the ash from clogging the holes and reducing air flow. Also for Pizza's i personally like 450- any hotter on mine burns the bottom and the top is not quite done.

I really like the way they do the steak under the recipe section of the above site. Never disappoints.

As for the fan i have never used for high temp cooks- more for slow and low applications. I bought the Auber Instruments fan after reading a good review and its much lower price and have been happy with it.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:55 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Wakesetter
I went to help a family member with a garage sale two weekends ago, and ended up bringing home something similar to the BGE. It's a c 1960 Japanese Hibachi, in mediocre condition. Probably the size of a medium BGE. I've got a list of projects in front of this one, but I'll bring it back this winter hopefully. This thread is a great read!
Old 10-10-2012, 08:54 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmikler View Post
As far as what lump to use i would recommend checking out this site. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpindexpage.htm?bag

I use the Publix Brand Greenwise because it is rated high, inexpensive and much more accessible for me.

As far as getting high temperatures I find itís more important to build the lump in a bit of an OCD manner. I can get 800 any time i want it. I start with a clean fire box and start with the Large lumps on the bottom, then fill in the holes with medium followed by small. (I separate out each bag i buy into large, medium and small 5 gallon buckets so itís easy to do the above.) The large followed by the medium keep the ash from clogging the holes and reducing air flow. Also for Pizza's i personally like 450- any hotter on mine burns the bottom and the top is not quite done.

I really like the way they do the steak under the recipe section of the above site. Never disappoints.

As for the fan i have never used for high temp cooks- more for slow and low applications. I bought the Auber Instruments fan after reading a good review and its much lower price and have been happy with it.
Pmikler has it right- the issue is charcoal clogging the holes in the grate at the bottom of the firebox. However, I don't know if you have to be as OCD as him

Also- if you are trying to reach high temps, don't put the metal top on the grill until the egg heats up all the way.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:42 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
If the vents are clean and the firebox is clean, then what I usually do if I'm going to do pizzas or whatever, is to get the chimney starter loaded up, fire up a good load of coals, dump that into the box, and then add some more on top, then I insert the plate setter, my pizza stone, and close the lid with the top iron off and let it get hot. Once that reaches terminal temps I adjust the heat from there.

I don't think you need the blower, but having all the junk cleaned out really helps.

Once its fully died out I usually use my shop vac from the bottom to remove the ashes, and I stir the charcoal to separate the ash from the coals, and remove the little detritus.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:41 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1991 ProStar 190
Made the leap for a large BGE last October. I am amazed! Not only is the food great it's about the most simple grill I've ever seen. So far we've done shrimp, chicken, burgers and brats, ribs and a killer Thanksgiving Turkey! What amazes me how constant it keeps a temperature. The Turkey cooked just over 4 hours at 350. Once set I didn't have to fiddle with the temp at all, not once. And it only took a few minutes to get if set. Did I mention the pizza? Grilled pizza is a special treat. We're smoking a pork roast tomorrow. I can't wait!

Here's a couple pics;
Attached Images

Old 12-09-2012, 02:49 PM
TT Enthusiast

Now I need a good source for charcoal. Some place proximal to my podunk town.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 x30
okra

New favorite grilled vegi. Whole okra Salt pepper olive oil and cook until just chard a bit. I think we got the last of the summer crop though this week. Keep it in mind for next year though. The people that don't like okra because of the slime will like this- it cooks out
Old 12-09-2012, 07:53 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 Xstar
I have myself a large size "Big Green Egg", the original, and it simply, as stated multiple times on this thread, the best. I have had it for over 5 years now, and after owning several BBQ's (all charcoal) this one provides the best flavor and food consistently. As stated, it becomes a labor of love, as it is a proactive que that involves time, patience, and minor skill (until experience is gained) on how to fire it up and dial it in. To further add to the recent posts on this thread, I recommend using Cowboy Brand hardwood lump charcoal; available at most all home depot stores, and some Ace Hardware stores, $8/bag. I am an avid "egghead", and if anyone has specific questions, feel free to ask.

Cheers.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:59 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2006 X-1 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmikler View Post
New favorite grilled vegi. Whole okra Salt pepper olive oil and cook until just chard a bit. I think we got the last of the summer crop though this week. Keep it in mind for next year though. The people that don't like okra because of the slime will like this- it cooks out
Pic please?
Old 12-10-2012, 11:10 AM
TT Enthusiast

Question

Wife picked up some Viquero (mexican for cowboy) brand lump charcoal at the Weatherford Home Depot. Is that the same as Cowboy brand or some cheap knock off?