Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-08-2012, 06:16 PM
strad's Avatar
strad strad is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2010
Boat: 1984 Stars and Stripes Powerslot
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 449
wow those exhaust bolts are IN there. . . tips for removal?

I already hit them with penetrating oil (pb blaster). It's not an urgent project, but I would like to address the manifold to riser gaskets and also the rust stains on the manifolds (latter is why I would like to remove them). I'm also a little afraid that I'll have to replace them based on the amount of rust pieces that I got and am still getting out the manifold drains. So yeah, manifold bolts should come out.

I have a two-foot breaker bar, but frankly I'm afraid to put any more torque on it than I have for fear of rounding out the allen holes. I'll probably hit them a few more times with penetrating oil just to see what happens, but would like to have as many ideas as possible.

It's an 84 351 PCM, and I'm pretty sure the bolts have never been removed. So they're in there about as tight as you'd expect lol.
__________________
1984 Stars and Stripes Powerslot
White with blue stripes. purchased 9/2012
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-08-2012, 06:56 PM
Cloaked Cloaked is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Boat: MasterCraft
Location: Kingston,TN USA
Posts: 4,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
.......... the manifold to riser gaskets and also the rust stains on the manifolds (latter is why I would like to remove them).
Is it broken or just not visually pleasing?


A few days of penetrant may or may not do it. Give it a few days but also approach it the way you have been. No more forced torque in my opinion. I'd hate to have to deal with that under less than ideal conditions, when in fact, it wasn't broken in the first place, but I'm also more practical than obsessed with things that make you go "Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm..."

.
__________________
93 190
.
Don't be a boot licker
.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8



Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-08-2012, 06:57 PM
Snipe's Avatar
Snipe Snipe is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Boat: 1998 ProStar 190
Location: Three Lakes,WI/summer;Menomonee Falls,WI/winter
Posts: 700
Try a penetrating oil called "Kroil" that stuff really works. It's a little pricey, but you get what you pay for. I have used it in the shop before retiring, and NOTHING beats it. Just type the word "Kroil" into your browser and it will take you to their site. If that doesn't do it, about the only thing left is heat. Lots of it. Best of luck....
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-08-2012, 06:59 PM
Cloaked Cloaked is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Boat: MasterCraft
Location: Kingston,TN USA
Posts: 4,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe View Post
Try a penetrating oil called "Kroil" that stuff really works. It's a little pricey, but you get what you pay for. I have used it in the shop before retiring, and NOTHING beats it. Just type the word "Kroil" into your browser and it will take you to their site. If that doesn't do it, about the only thing left is heat. Lots of it. Best of luck....
+1 on Kroil. I also have it in my shop.

.
__________________
93 190
.
Don't be a boot licker
.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8



Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

.

Last edited by Cloaked; 12-08-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-08-2012, 07:28 PM
1redTA's Avatar
1redTA 1redTA is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Boat: 1981 MasterCraft Limited 351W slot
Location: Pace, FL
Posts: 970
you could always try some heat
__________________
1981 MasterCraft
19' Skier 351W PowerSlot Deluxe
Long gone is the Trans AM waiting for another
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-08-2012, 08:08 PM
03geetee's Avatar
03geetee 03geetee is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Boat: 1983 Skier 190 Stars and Stripes
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,264
I can come down there and yell at it for you, worked a few times.

Seriously keep at it, go slow and if it snaps then it snaps and we re invent a new approach.

JTR
__________________
1983 MasterCraft Stars and Stripes
Cream/Red Metal Flake
"Powerslot"
"The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of GREED-the bitterness of men who fear the way of human progress. The hate of all men will pass, and dictators die and the power they took from the people will return to the people and so long as men die Liberty will never perish."
-Charles Chaplin-
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-08-2012, 08:12 PM
strad's Avatar
strad strad is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2010
Boat: 1984 Stars and Stripes Powerslot
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 449
I may just leave it alone for the time being lol. It's one of those things that would be nice to renew but not at the expense of making a mess.

Just out of curiosity, is it possible to remove the heads with the manifolds installed? The idea being that, if it was possible, in the event I decided to put GT40 heads on I would use new manifolds and not worry about the problem with the old heads. Probably sounds like a newb question but the only other engine I've done a head gasket on, it was possible to remove the head with all the manifolds still installed.
__________________
1984 Stars and Stripes Powerslot
White with blue stripes. purchased 9/2012
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-08-2012, 08:25 PM
zsqure's Avatar
zsqure zsqure is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Boat: MC ProStar 209, 2001, LTR, Blue
Location: in the 330
Posts: 564
Do a google search. Somewhere I read ATF and acetone mixed together in equal amounts works better than most penetrating oils.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-08-2012, 10:48 PM
Jerseydave's Avatar
Jerseydave Jerseydave is offline
TT Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Location: Jersey
Posts: 5,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
I may just leave it alone for the time being lol. It's one of those things that would be nice to renew but not at the expense of making a mess.

Just out of curiosity, is it possible to remove the heads with the manifolds installed? The idea being that, if it was possible, in the event I decided to put GT40 heads on I would use new manifolds and not worry about the problem with the old heads. Probably sounds like a newb question but the only other engine I've done a head gasket on, it was possible to remove the head with all the manifolds still installed.
^Only if you can get at all of the head bolts, otherwise no.

Try smacking the heads of the manifold bolts with a hammer a few strikes first. Sometimes the shock of the hammer smacking them will help. Good luck.
__________________
I was njskier on here.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-09-2012, 07:17 AM
ctjahn ctjahn is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Boat: Own a 78 MC S&S
Location: Midwest
Posts: 594
riser bolts

My riser bolts were a total pia.... but they were not allen type head (standard hex).

3 out of 5 brok off at the head but once I removed the risers I was able to get to the remaining parts. I used PB, Time, hammer, and a tighten, loosen, tighten, loosen technique. (Sounds like you are doing the whole manafold?)

Took me about 2 hours total time but they sat while working on other stuff soaking across several weekends...

Best of luck
Cj
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:47 AM.