Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 12-08-2012, 06:16 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 Stars and Stripes Powerslot
wow those exhaust bolts are IN there. . . tips for removal?

I already hit them with penetrating oil (pb blaster). It's not an urgent project, but I would like to address the manifold to riser gaskets and also the rust stains on the manifolds (latter is why I would like to remove them). I'm also a little afraid that I'll have to replace them based on the amount of rust pieces that I got and am still getting out the manifold drains. So yeah, manifold bolts should come out.

I have a two-foot breaker bar, but frankly I'm afraid to put any more torque on it than I have for fear of rounding out the allen holes. I'll probably hit them a few more times with penetrating oil just to see what happens, but would like to have as many ideas as possible.

It's an 84 351 PCM, and I'm pretty sure the bolts have never been removed. So they're in there about as tight as you'd expect lol.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:56 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
.......... the manifold to riser gaskets and also the rust stains on the manifolds (latter is why I would like to remove them).
Is it broken or just not visually pleasing?

A few days of penetrant may or may not do it. Give it a few days but also approach it the way you have been. No more forced torque in my opinion. I'd hate to have to deal with that under less than ideal conditions, when in fact, it wasn't broken in the first place, but I'm also more practical than obsessed with things that make you go "Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm..."

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 12-08-2012, 06:57 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 ProStar 190
Try a penetrating oil called "Kroil" that stuff really works. It's a little pricey, but you get what you pay for. I have used it in the shop before retiring, and NOTHING beats it. Just type the word "Kroil" into your browser and it will take you to their site. If that doesn't do it, about the only thing left is heat. Lots of it. Best of luck....
Old 12-08-2012, 06:59 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe View Post
Try a penetrating oil called "Kroil" that stuff really works. It's a little pricey, but you get what you pay for. I have used it in the shop before retiring, and NOTHING beats it. Just type the word "Kroil" into your browser and it will take you to their site. If that doesn't do it, about the only thing left is heat. Lots of it. Best of luck....
+1 on Kroil. I also have it in my shop.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Last edited by Cloaked; 12-08-2012 at 07:10 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:28 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1981 MasterCraft Limited 351W slot
you could always try some heat
Old 12-08-2012, 08:08 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1983 Skier 190 Stars and Stripes
I can come down there and yell at it for you, worked a few times.

Seriously keep at it, go slow and if it snaps then it snaps and we re invent a new approach.

JTR
"The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of GREED-the bitterness of men who fear the way of human progress. The hate of all men will pass, and dictators die and the power they took from the people will return to the people and so long as men die Liberty will never perish."
-Charles Chaplin-
Old 12-08-2012, 08:12 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 Stars and Stripes Powerslot
I may just leave it alone for the time being lol. It's one of those things that would be nice to renew but not at the expense of making a mess.

Just out of curiosity, is it possible to remove the heads with the manifolds installed? The idea being that, if it was possible, in the event I decided to put GT40 heads on I would use new manifolds and not worry about the problem with the old heads. Probably sounds like a newb question but the only other engine I've done a head gasket on, it was possible to remove the head with all the manifolds still installed.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:25 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC ProStar 209, 2001, LTR, Blue
Do a google search. Somewhere I read ATF and acetone mixed together in equal amounts works better than most penetrating oils.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:48 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by strad View Post
I may just leave it alone for the time being lol. It's one of those things that would be nice to renew but not at the expense of making a mess.

Just out of curiosity, is it possible to remove the heads with the manifolds installed? The idea being that, if it was possible, in the event I decided to put GT40 heads on I would use new manifolds and not worry about the problem with the old heads. Probably sounds like a newb question but the only other engine I've done a head gasket on, it was possible to remove the head with all the manifolds still installed.
^Only if you can get at all of the head bolts, otherwise no.

Try smacking the heads of the manifold bolts with a hammer a few strikes first. Sometimes the shock of the hammer smacking them will help. Good luck.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:17 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Own a 78 MC S&S
riser bolts

My riser bolts were a total pia.... but they were not allen type head (standard hex).

3 out of 5 brok off at the head but once I removed the risers I was able to get to the remaining parts. I used PB, Time, hammer, and a tighten, loosen, tighten, loosen technique. (Sounds like you are doing the whole manafold?)

Took me about 2 hours total time but they sat while working on other stuff soaking across several weekends...

Best of luck
Cj