Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 12-07-2012, 04:06 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worthing skier View Post
Well the deal has finally been done .

Brought it home yesterday , had a couple of hours with some truck wash and the pressure washer just so I could see what was going on .
Tried to turn it over on the crank , but looks like its seized no surprise there .
So had the plugs out and left the bores soaking for a couple of days, lots of other thinks to get on with .
First of many questions I am sure , is does the heater exchanger on the drivers side normally bed itself in the floor ?.

Thanks

Kevin
Congrats on bring a great boat home. Now the labor of love begins.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $629
4 Matte Black T08 14x6 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $379
2 Matte Black T08 14x6 wheels, 2 ST215/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND. $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 12-07-2012, 04:12 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1996 PS 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worthing skier View Post
Well the deal has finally been done .

Brought it home yesterday , had a couple of hours with some truck wash and the pressure washer just so I could see what was going on .
Tried to turn it over on the crank , but looks like its seized no surprise there .
So had the plugs out and left the bores soaking for a couple of days, lots of other thinks to get on with .
First of many questions I am sure , is does the heater exchanger on the drivers side normally bed itself in the floor ?.

Thanks

Kevin
That it what we call a closed cooling system here in the US. Can't say I've ever seen one like that. Normally the heat exchanger sits up front on the top of the motor. This is going to be a fun project/thread, Good Luck!
Old 12-07-2012, 04:36 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
On my 88 with closed loop, the heat exchanger is down low like that, but it doesn't touch the floor. Looking at your pictures, I actually think my floor doesn't extend that far under the engine. Regardless, it might be worth a look at the brackets and whatnot to see if something's come loose. It does look like it's sitting a bit low. I can't see MC designing it in such a way that the exchanger touches the carpet.
G
Old 12-08-2012, 08:41 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft prostar 190 1993 & 1996
So removed the alternator ,starter motor ,raw water pump ,main water pump and found all seized , again no surprises .

However as the starter motor was out I have put a pry bar on the ring gear to bell housing and the engine broke free , back on the crank and now turns over by hand , so 12 hrs of a good soaking in penetrating oil has done its job.

The alternator is a Lucas item and starter motor is not branded , do these items need to be marine type or can I use an automotive part .

Removed the heat exchanger and as advised it looks as if it has just slid down on its mounts , so no worries there .

Re the fuel system , I can only find 1 high pressure pump on the passenger side rear of the engine is the only pump it has , only looks like an sender unit in the tank .

Yes as could not believe how well the carpet came up , needs more work but I am sure it will not need to be replaced , this is a testament to the quality of the materials that MC use in building there boats .

So next step is to fit an new starter ,alternator and battery , drain the fuel system , change the oil ,turn the key and see what happens .

will keep you all posted

Kevin
Old 12-08-2012, 09:43 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
alternator and starter must be marine. They are modified to prevent sparks igniting gas fumes. The requirements and tests are stringent so you don't wind up having a fire from accumulated fumes under dog house.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:40 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 X2
You're brave to tackle a job like this. Being across the pond I would guess that MasterCraft parts would be difficult to come by . . . or is there a good dealership network there?
Old 12-09-2012, 11:34 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 prostar 197, mcx
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelerd View Post
You're brave to tackle a job like this. Being across the pond I would guess that MasterCraft parts would be difficult to come by . . . or is there a good dealership network there?
Parts readily available over here in the uk just pricey,
Kevin have a look on eBay type in mastercraft if you see the cover for sale look at his other items opens up a page with starters on, second hand and cheaper than new, not sure if you know or not, it's mick macafferty selling the items used to be at mastercraft many years ago, now midland marine, will probably have what you need maybe second hand,
good luck with the rebuild
Old 12-09-2012, 02:13 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 ProStar 190
Mike you have no idea how right you are. Some people must have a money tree in their back yard. What a shame to let a boat like that go to waste.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:57 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe View Post
Mike you have no idea how right you are. Some people must have a money tree in their back yard. What a shame to let a boat like that go to waste.
Yeah...found a late 70's stars and stripes...$1500... okay so I got interested...then after connecting with seller - boat left uncovered in field like boat in this thread for 6 years.

Oh well - it takes all types...
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2012, 03:35 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
Yeah...found a late 70's stars and stripes...$1500... okay so I got interested...then after connecting with seller - boat left uncovered in field like boat in this thread for 6 years.

Oh well - it takes all types...
Thanks for using the Hemihead font.

1 more MCOCD point for you Mike......and 2 more for the graphics on the van.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....