Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 12-03-2012, 11:31 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1988 Mastercraft Tristar 190
MTX TM652WB-B tower speakers?

Does anybody have these? The speakers in my 1988 Tristar 190 walkaround are MTX so I figure maybe I should keep the whole system the same. Just looking for some thoughts and suggestions. I don't want to spend a ton of money but I do want a quality system.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 12-04-2012, 08:48 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: pontoon
IMO, the MTX marine gear is a price-point line. Construction quality wise, its not bad for the price. Axis was offering MTX as the OEM but not sure if they still are for the current model year. Being that you are looking for a tower speaker, matching the brand of the in-boats, simply to go with the same brand, would be down on my list of criteria, but a consideration none the less. These are just a basic coaxial speaker, so if you are looking for something for surfing or the party cove scene, then these may fit the bill for you. If strong music while surfing is a high priority, then you may find that a single pair of these is a little light. Or look into a single pair of larger coaxials with better power handling. If reaching wake-board range is one of your tower speaker goals, then you should consider an HLCD. With the newer technology, current HLCD speakers are now sounding smooth and warm up close. The days of poor mid-bass and overly aggressive horns are fading.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:06 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
I dont see anything special about keeping MTX or anything else. This is not some rare corvette engine and trans, its crappy oem speakers.
Do a clean, proper install and enjoy.

Decide how much sound you want
Size of speakers currently installed / size possibilites
Budget
Old 12-06-2012, 10:15 AM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloop View Post
I dont see anything special about keeping MTX or anything else. This is not some rare corvette engine and trans, its crappy oem speakers.
Do a clean, proper install and enjoy.

Decide how much sound you want
Size of speakers currently installed / size possibilites
Budget
The MTX in the boat are not cheap, crappy OEM speakers! I am not sure what the boat originally came with but I can tell you that it wasn't the MTX that are in it now because I bought and put them in! Regardless, I do appreciate the input; just figured I would clear that up!
Old 12-06-2012, 03:22 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
Sorry I was incorrect on the OEM part, I missed they were tower.
MLA phrased things softer.
A full discription of current equipment and budget is helpful in understanding what to recomend.

MTX are budget at $200/pr.
If I was going back on a tight budget, I would look at the Bazooka 8" horns. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...MT8002CHW.html
They can take twice the power at 150w RMS each but should be significantly louder with both a larger cone and the horn regardless.

What kind of amp and load is it pushing now? Not saying a new amp is required but probably; or understand its limitations and not over crank the volume or gains.
Old 12-06-2012, 05:25 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
FYI, 5 1/4" Babb speakers were OEM with a Sony am/fm cassette radio, aka deluxe stereo package...

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Old 02-01-2013, 09:34 PM
TT Newbie

To clarify - the boat currently has a Kenwood Marine receiver with MTX Thunder Marine 6" speakers that are 75W peak - no amp (yet) and no tower speakers (yet). I would like to add some tower speakers and amps this spring. I don't have an exact budget but if I had to guess I would say I could spend upwards of $1,000.00 now and then a little more towards mid-summer. I would also like to add a sub or subs to the boat but I am not sure where to put them yet as I don't have much room. My main focus is on the tower speakers and amps. So, I really know nothing about tower speakers and am basically looking for some suggestions from those of you that do! Any input will help - thanks again!
Old 02-01-2013, 10:33 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 12 X-25 its ok old X-10 the best
I was on the same budget. i went with the kicker tower speakers mmt60 paid about 300 for them. put a mb quart amp on them(how ever i would have bought a different amp if to do over) non marine, but im happy with them and i can hear them when im wake-boarding how ever the more enjoyable benifit is hearing when we are just swimming and hanging out, they are real nice. ive heard the bigger wet sound stuff and JL stuff make no mistake they are awesome and sound great but i can drop 1500 or better just on tower speakers. i did marine speakers in boat the kicker marine speakers in the boat 30 each i think, and stayed with facotry clarion 10 years old car amp and still working and put in a new sub i did JL there not much more and whole lot more then allot of the other brands. and put in a clarion CMD-6 i think is the model. did it all last year and im in for about 700 including a remote on the transom. granted i got it all off amazon and half price car audio. i did add a breaker by the battery 80 amp, not the loudest thing on the lake but i can hear while behind the boat and can really hear while going full speed. and find now that i have that much i dont really use it that often. i like to hear my engine and the wind as im cruising along. my 2 cents
Old 02-02-2013, 07:26 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: pontoon
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub_squoch View Post
To clarify - the boat currently has a Kenwood Marine receiver with MTX Thunder Marine 6" speakers that are 75W peak - no amp (yet) and no tower speakers (yet). I would like to add some tower speakers and amps this spring. I don't have an exact budget but if I had to guess I would say I could spend upwards of $1,000.00 now and then a little more towards mid-summer. I would also like to add a sub or subs to the boat but I am not sure where to put them yet as I don't have much room. My main focus is on the tower speakers and amps. So, I really know nothing about tower speakers and am basically looking for some suggestions from those of you that do! Any input will help - thanks again!
It sounds like the tower is 1st phase you want to tackle and is your primary focus overall. What are you looking to achieve with the tower setup, reaching a wake-boarder in tow, surf/party cove sound quality or both? This will dictate the speakers you go with, and therefor your budget.

For the in-boat setup, I think a nice 4 chnl to power your four mids and a mild 10" or 12" woofer. If your budget would permit, a 5 or 6 chnl Class-D would be even better. They typically offer better power for a sub on the dedicated sub chnl (on a 5 chnl) or when bridging chnls 5/6, leaving the 4 full-range chnls to drive 4-6 in-boats.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:57 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X1
I need tower speakers for my X1. I have a 4 channel Kicker ZX350.4. I have been looking at the Bazooka MT8002CHB and the Kicker KMT60. Bazooka is cheaper but I want what is best for my money. I would really like to hear them while wakeboarding but if I can't oh well. I don't have $700 for the Wetsounds. That is almost 3 boat payments. Any ideas?