Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 12-02-2012, 09:12 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
Also agree that if one change is to be made it should be a new prop. I would also look at the ignition system and upgrade to electronic (if it isn't already) and confirm that you are getting all the advance you are supposed to. I would also go through the carb as well.
I wouldn't worry to much with total timing advance. I would just ensure that its working as designed. On my original point distributor with EI it was 29 @ 3000 rpm and I "thought" it needed more timing so I bought the high dollar adjustable unilite marine distributor ($350) and set it at 36 and did some tuning and I actually picked up 100 rpm by bringing the timing back to 29. Oh well at least I have a good spare...

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Old 12-02-2012, 09:16 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.mccreight@hotmail.com View Post
I wouldn't worry to much with total timing advance. I would just ensure that its working as designed. On my original point distributor with EI it was 29 @ 3000 rpm and I "thought" it needed more timing so I bought the high dollar adjustable unilite marine distributor ($350) and set it at 36 and did some tuning and I actually picked up 100 rpm by bringing the timing back to 29. Oh well at least I have a good spare...
I guess I could have been more clear by saying to check for proper distributor operation, as it is going on 30 years old and probably untouched.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST215/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 12-05-2012, 08:11 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1990 Prostar 190
....so acme over oj.....
Old 12-05-2012, 09:57 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by northof52 View Post
....so acme over oj.....
Eric from OJ Props is an active member here, so many of us choose to send business his way. I have no experience with Acme (other than watching Road Runner cartoons) and people seem to be plenty happy with quality and service from both companies.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST215/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 12-10-2012, 01:11 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1991 MasterCraft Prostar 190 PowerSlot
Send a message via AIM to DooSPX
Personally, I choose OJ Props, Eric has been extremely helpful and just a great guy to talk to. I would call him up and see what he recommends. Their number is in my signature.

So, as said here before, go with a new prop first. If you feel you still need more, then start looking into engine mods.

Trying to keep slalom alive

Need a new prop to fit your needs? Call OJ PROPS 800-359-9730

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper View Post
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you are stupid, than to open it and prove it"?
Old 12-10-2012, 02:25 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by northof52 View Post
....so acme over oj.....
If they are both running a 30 day try and send it back if you don't like it program like they used to, you should try one from each. If you don't, you'll never know if the prop you got was the best choice for your application. It matters not a bit what my opinion is versus anyone else's on here about prop brand. And I say that as one of the people on here who has done a critical comparison test between the Acme 541 and comparable OJ XMP 13x12.

Prop Comparison

Note: These are not the props applicable to your boat. But it will give you an idea of how different two similarly sized props can be.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:53 PM
MC Fanatic

Give me a call and I can get you a prop to try.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:41 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1989 Prostar 190, 351 Indmar
FWIW, I did upgrade only my heads, out of necessity. Cracked one a few years back, posted the whole ordeal on here. Still running old school 4 blade prop, original intake. Didn't have the cash to upgrade either when doing the heads, plus I was curious to see what the increase would be for heads alone. Found some GT40 heads in a junkyard for cheap, got them cleaned up and installed, and gained about 4-5 mph of top end speed. Boat has quite a bit more oomph. Not sure how much HP, but it has to be significant to gain 4-5 mph. Had to re-calibrate all the pefect pass slalom speeds in the course, as expected. I do agree that prop changes can be significant as well, and if I ever get the cash, or have a need for more speed, that will be my next upgrade.
Kevin

Last edited by Kevin 89MC; 12-10-2012 at 04:46 PM.