Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 11-30-2012, 07:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2012 X30, 6L
Could the timing be off a little?

Could it be the fuel pump seals? The lines empty back into the tank? (That is purely a guess)

I'd eliminate the easy checks first, voltage outputs at various places listed on this thread (battery, back of alternator)...

How is the belt?

Are the any other symptoms?

Has anything else changed?

When was the last time it had a tune up? Plugs, wires, fuel filter...
Old 12-01-2012, 10:53 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Hard start conditions can be caused by something as basic as a single bad connection or as difficult to find as a weak distributor advance spring that doesn't always return the advance back to base timing for starting. Start with the basics- the things that can easily be tested and verified like battery connections (don't forget the ground wire at the block), battery and alternator. This sounds like the original alternator with a mechanical voltage regulator. This is one part that would benefit from a modern replacement rather than a rebuild. Chances are this alternator doesn't perform like it did 28 years ago. Probably the original battery cables too. I am not a fan of throwing parts at a problem, however, if the battery cables are original, I would replace them even if they tested OK. Replacing the ammeter in the dash of my '77 with a voltmeter is on the spring to-do list. They can tell you so much more of what is going on.

One thought...many of the alternators, mine included, need to see a sufficient rpm to get the field excited and producing full voltage. My boat needs to see approx. 1,200 rpm to get her fired up. I ran into a situation where I started the boat up, idled through a long no wake zone and across the lake to shut her down and chill for a while. Upon trying to restart, I barely had enough battery to get her started. Didn't see much happening on the ammeter, but a voltmeter would have shown the low voltage.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST215/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND. $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 12-02-2012, 11:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 Stars and Stripes Powerslot
Well I should check the timing. I've got to buy a timing light though -- up until now have never owned something where I would need one. I do have an electronic ignition conversion. Not sure on the parts in the dizzy yet but the module says Crane Cams XR700 on it.

I'm inclined to not think it's fuel related b/c it's more like the starter did not have enough power to turn the engine over (which I know can happen if the timing is advanced to far -- again gotta check the timing). There is some corrosion on some of the cable ends, but doesn't look like a terrible amount.

It has new Autolite 24 plugs in it now (didn't when the incident occurred, but old plugs looked ok). Wires arrive tomorrow along with a new dizzy cap. Had to put off ordering a rotor since I don't know exactly how the inside of the dizzy was converted yet. I'll know when I replace the cap.
When it's running it seems to run just fine, all the way to 45 mph or so.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:41 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
I wouldn't buy a timing light just yet. Most likely dealing with high resistance in the starting circuit, whether it be cables, connections or the starter itself. Sounds like you are on the right track.

The crane unit is indeed an externally mounted electronic ignition. I believe they use the stock rotor.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST215/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND. $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 12-04-2012, 12:14 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC 1999 Maristar 230 sport
Strad
I got a timing light if you need to borrow one.
Call me. I have been working in the Sunrise Mountain area if thats were you are located. Sent you a PM.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 Stars and Stripes Powerslot
Yup. Sunrise mountain is where I live. Just north of lake mead and Hollywood. I could use a light at some point. Just to Verify.