Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 11-28-2012, 05:38 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2007 X2
Knuckle is a fantastic offspeed pitch for kids. Uses about the same arm slot and does not hurt to throw it as a youngster.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:17 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1991 prostar 190
That is exactly why we taught him how to throw one. It is pretty cool to watch hitters lean in to look at it not spinning. Then get called out
Old 11-28-2012, 10:43 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Malibu Sunsetter LXI 2006 Indmar 320
I'll agree to disagree fellas on the entire knuckle thing. It might use the same arm slot, but the release is completely different. It requires one to push the ball out of your hand rather than release with the wrist. With a good fastball, the hand is on top of the ball at release. With a knuckler, the hand is almost behind/underneath the ball. I will agree that it is muh easier on the arm than any breaking ball: slider/curve. That said, if they ever hope to progress as a pitcher, it will be based on total command of the fastball and 2 off speed pitches. A knuckle can be one of them, but too quirky to build upon. As proof, name 5 pitchers in the big leagues who throw one today! Of those that throw the knuckler, it is their primary pitch, as their other "stuff" isn't good enough. In most cases of successful knuckle ball guys, it was their last ditch effort to stay in the game after their tradional arsenal had gone south. Tim Wakefield being a prime example. If the goal is to dominate and have fun as a kid, then I say go for it. If their goal is to advance through the ranks, then avoid the gimmick and learn to master the basics: fastball, straight change and eventually a breaking ball.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:39 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 X1, RTP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Tim View Post
I'll agree to disagree fellas on the entire knuckle thing. It might use the same arm slot, but the release is completely different. It requires one to push the ball out of your hand rather than release with the wrist. With a good fastball, the hand is on top of the ball at release. With a knuckler, the hand is almost behind/underneath the ball. I will agree that it is muh easier on the arm than any breaking ball: slider/curve. That said, if they ever hope to progress as a pitcher, it will be based on total command of the fastball and 2 off speed pitches. A knuckle can be one of them, but too quirky to build upon. As proof, name 5 pitchers in the big leagues who throw one today! Of those that throw the knuckler, it is their primary pitch, as their other "stuff" isn't good enough. In most cases of successful knuckle ball guys, it was their last ditch effort to stay in the game after their tradional arsenal had gone south. Tim Wakefield being a prime example. If the goal is to dominate and have fun as a kid, then I say go for it. If their goal is to advance through the ranks, then avoid the gimmick and learn to master the basics: fastball, straight change and eventually a breaking ball.
I agree. The knuckleball uses a "locked wrist" while the fastball, change and deuce require a loose wrist. Eventually he will start throwing the other pitches with a locked or semi locked wrist which will lesson the effects of those pitches. The fastball won't have as much movement and the curve won't have as much rotation, thus less drop. It can also effect the change up depending on what type he throws (circle,palm or finger lift).

Six in, Six out.

2007 MasterCraft X-1, CHARCOAL Black
Old 12-01-2012, 01:52 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2007 X2
I always told my players that they could not throw ANY pitch that ended with their thumb pointing upward until they had a driver's license. The whole group of guys I coached are all Seniors now and none of them ever experienced arm trouble. We were a USSSA Majors / Elite team, so we saw some great compitition over the years. Pitching... It's like real estate... location, location, location and being able to change speeds and add a little wrinkle here and there. Throw the knuckle all the time? NO WAY! - Use it as an off speed once in awhile? Sure. Most important is conditioning, taking the time to warm up properly, long toss to build strength, then cool it all off properly.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:20 AM
TT Regular

Great to have some baseball banter on this site in December
Old 12-03-2012, 10:42 AM
MC Platinum

Boat: White/Red 91 PS 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan Tim View Post
Great to have some baseball banter on this site in December
you kiddin'??? we just started school baseball season.... it's always the first day back to school after Thanksgiving break.

Team MasterCraft Google Search Engine
Old 12-03-2012, 01:11 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 X1, RTP
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmania View Post
you kiddin'??? we just started school baseball season.... it's always the first day back to school after Thanksgiving break.
Here in Indiana there is only one sport that matters during the winter.................Basketball!!

Six in, Six out.

2007 MasterCraft X-1, CHARCOAL Black
Old 12-03-2012, 09:19 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmania View Post
No, I wasn't kidding. Here in Detroit, we have just started getting over an awful World Series, so noone has spoken a word of baseball in about a month. Maybe having an inept NFL team helps ease the pain With no NHL on tap and the Pistons 10 games out after 1 month, everyone will be yearning for spring training for sure. Colleges in Michigan will start up with fall ball right when classes resume in September, but then they shut it down at Thanksgiving and don't start up again until January. High school squads can't officially start until lete Feb or early March. Travel teams may get some work done, but all indoors until March and then it's super dicey in March, April and May. We could have 60 and sunny in March and the 30 in May. Very, very frustrating to play ball in Michigan other than mid summer into early fall.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:57 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197 w/tower
Gloves...I don't wear them...Skin to Win!~

I'm pursuing my lifelong quest for the perfect, the absolutely driest martini to be found in this or any other world. And I think I may have hit upon the perfect formula :