Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 11-25-2012, 04:30 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: pontoon
Looks like I missed some activity this afternoon!

Kyle,

I apologies if something in my post offended you. I was not trying to make any negative comments about the speaker upgrades you are doing. My post was more directed towards Tristarboarder, or anyone else considering adding dash speakers. Speakers reflecting off the windshield are an acoustic challenge when there are more speakers in the boat, so before cutting the holes in a helm, I would consider other locations first.

Again, I apologies if you were offended.
Mike
Old 11-26-2012, 08:00 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
Ok boys I got the JL C2525x speakers. I went into Earmark and was gunhoe set on the C3 but he told me to buy the C2's. we discussed it for 5 minutes and then I took a tour of their shop. They had a nice yellow X80 in there and a Cobalt that were getting tricked out. Real nice guys there.

We discussed amp settings and when I got to my boat tonight they were the same settings as I had before. The speakers sound bad@ss and are well worth the trouble. I hooked them up and installed them along with the front dash just to make sure that they fit. The deck height is taller on the C2 than the TR 525's.

Here are more pics of the install.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353977928.807390.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  74.7 KB
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353977943.058825.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  64.3 KB
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353977958.377264.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  83.9 KB
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353977973.070364.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  64.3 KB
Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353977987.624188.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  54.6 KB

It's a tight fit but will work.

I need to put the driver glass on but other than that it is coming around real nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 11-26-2012, 08:55 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1991 prostar 190
I was thinking of making a small pod like speaker with maybe a 5 1/4 and one tweeter, also put a small pin so can remove them once I get out of the water. I want to try and moun them on the edge of the wind shield. Of course I will need to see if the edge can take pounding of the wake. But I will let you know if I come up with a creative answer to the speaker issue on the 190
Old 11-26-2012, 10:39 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: TBD
As I read this thread I never got the impression that MLA was being critical....just informative.
Here are the primary issues with speakers atop the dash:
First, they have a significant positional advantage over other or rear cockpit speakers. This can easily be remedied via dedicated amplifier channels so you can bring them into balance. This can also be accomplished via several passive means if the dash speakers are sharing a channel with another speaker. The positional advantage is certainly not a negative and is easily dealt with.
Second, the shape of the dash along with the shape of the windshield creates a wedge that causes a non-linear output.....meaning the speaker's normally smooth response becomes somewhat eratic. Plus, the reflection off glass compounds the issue and makes the speakers sound even more peaky. The phasing issues are not related to other speakers but rather related to the conflicting direct radiation and reflected radiation of the dash speakers being more or less out-of-phase at various frequencies. And this largely contributes to the eratic response. This is a little harder to fix. A sophisticated component set or integral component coaxial with an outboard passive crossover (like a JL Audio) is ideal for this application. You can accentuate or attenuate the tweeter and raise or lower the midbass lowpass filter. With a little experimentation of the settings you can nullify some of the dash location issues and get a much smoother response.
Is mounting atop the dash ideal in every sense? Nope. But you have got to take what the individual boat gives you and make the best of it. And above all else, you need to hear the speakers well when underway and the dash location is excellent in that aspect.
Some boats present audio compromises and every location may present a unique compromise. The key is to choose the leper with the most fingers.

David
Old 12-03-2012, 04:18 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
So I've done more flip flopping around. In the last few pictures the windshield is on the boat but the front glass is not bolted down. I hated the stupid looking grills from the new JLaudio A2 speakers so I did some research and found that the grills that were on the JLaudio TR will fit the A2. So I took the stupid silver and black grills off and installed the black on black JL grills that I had in before.

I want to make a special thanks to Earmark in Lewisville Tx where I delt with Eric. He told me to buy the A2 vs the more expensive A3 speakers that I was dead set on. He gave me his reasoning and I followed his advice. The speakers are very loud but clear. I noticed a big difference between the old speakers vs the new ones. The new ones blow away what I had in there before. Much louder and much clearer.

Thanks again to Earmark in Lewisville.

They match very nice with the JL 7.7's that are in the cabin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 12-03-2012, 04:24 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
I helped kyle screw the windshield back in and I can personally attest to the fact that the stereo sounded kickass - with the speakers in the dash.

MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
So I've done more flip flopping around. In the last few pictures the windshield is on the boat but the front glass is not bolted down. I hated the stupid looking grills from the new JLaudio A2 speakers so I did some research and found that the grills that were on the JLaudio TR will fit the A2. So I took the stupid silver and black grills off and installed the black on black JL grills that I had in before.

I want to make a special thanks to Earmark in Lewisville Tx where I delt with Eric. He told me to buy the A2 vs the more expensive A3 speakers that I was dead set on. He gave me his reasoning and I followed his advice. The speakers are very loud but clear. I noticed a big difference between the old speakers vs the new ones. The new ones blow away what I had in there before. Much louder and much clearer.

Thanks again to Earmark in Lewisville.

They match very nice with the JL 7.7's that are in the cabin.

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...