Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Other

Old 11-30-2012, 12:32 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
I will say that the boom is a great learning tool, and I've never seen the kid who learned on one who wasn't dying to get behind the boat like Mom and Dad.
That said, the sideways stance of a wakeboard seems very awkward with a fixed bar. We've had much better luck teaching kids to wakeboard behind the boat. Have them put the board against the back of the platform, get them to ball up, and pull the rope to get them a feel for the way the board will feel when they should start to stand up. Hook them to the tower or extended pole (if you have one) on a short rope so you can talk to them from the back of the boat as they're getting up. Once they're up and riding, a little quick coaching, and the next time give them a little more rope.
This is a small sample size and your results may vary.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:48 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X25, 6.0 Ilmor, Pro Package, slammed and flaked!
My plan would be to have them holding onto a rope 6 feet back from the boom.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: NA
We have a tower boom in stock if you are interested. Let me know.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:26 PM
MC Devotee

Talked to BFI today. They have two models that will work, one that attaches to the tower and another that attaches to the ski pylon. Which is better? Pros and cons?
Old 12-01-2012, 01:57 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
Here is my 2 cents for what it is worth:
While the tower booms seem like a good idea, it appears to put a great deal of stress on the tower itself and side torque on the boat (with the main attachment point to the boat being further out as opposed to the center/rear pylon). Obviously they have tested these things so they know they are fine but the set-up and removal of a tower boom while on the water is going to be more difficult than the one which simply attaches to your pylon. Also, consider re-sale value, if ever you were to no longer need/want it. A boom which attaches to your pylon is likely going to work on several boat models, I am not sure the same can be said for those which attach to towers as there are so many different tower configurations out there.
One upside to the tower boom is that it is completely outside of your boat.

Again, this is just my observation and others may have different opinions/arguments. Good luck, either way going with a BFI product and the customer service of Seipel and Bowers is good.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:08 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
My $.02

I've had pylon mounted booms on both a DD and a V-drive. They are fine on a DD, but on my old Maristar 230 there was too much spray off the boat at slower speeds because the pylon on a V-drive is so far back. I think a tower mounted boom will work better for slow speeds like wakeboarding. It's the easiest way to teach someone, but once they are up and riding get them back behind the boat on a short line for their next set before they get dependent on the solid feel of the boom.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:08 PM
MC Devotee

Seipel is who I talked to he said the tower boom is tested and solid whereas the pylon mount may not be as solid. He also said I will be unable to remove the tower mount pole while on the water, whereas the pylon one is easily removed from the boat.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:30 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick911 View Post
Seipel is who I talked to he said the tower boom is tested and solid whereas the pylon mount may not be as solid. He also said I will be unable to remove the tower mount pole while on the water, whereas the pylon one is easily removed from the boat.
All true, Siepel is the authority on booms.
It all depends on your situation, but if you have a dock you can pull up to and remove the tower boom when you're done using it I still think that's the best option.
Looks plenty strong to me!

Name:  TowerBoom_3.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  63.8 KB
Old 12-03-2012, 05:46 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: X-45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick911 View Post
The tower boom in question is for the old 4 point towers, not for the current two point towers? Last time I spoke to Seipel this past summer they had no plans for a tower boom for the current two point towers.

BTW - I install/remove my tower boom on the water all the time. It takes two guys but you can do it. It helps to have a third to carefully hand you the hitch pins.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:50 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest-X45 View Post
The tower boom in question is for the old 4 point towers, not for the current two point towers? Last time I spoke to Seipel this past summer they had no plans for a tower boom for the current two point towers.

BTW - I install/remove my tower boom on the water all the time. It takes two guys but you can do it. It helps to have a third to carefully hand you the hitch pins.
The boom in question fits the ZFT4 as per Mike. There is a video on YouTube showing install on ZFT-2.