Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 11-30-2012, 09:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: n/a
Need buffer pad suggestions

So I'm going to pick up the Porter Cable 7424xp to do some cosmetic work to my boat in the Spring and was wondering what kind of pads, etc. you would suggest for slight oxidation removal and overall polishing?

Autogeek has a ton of kits offering numerous pads and polishes, but I have no idea where I should start. Would you guys order the polisher bare bones and then just order the pads that I need on the side, or would you pick up one of their combo deals that you see here http://www.autogeek.net/dual-action-...FWaoPAod1TEAIw

By the way, they are having a 24 hour sale on gift certificates---$100 gets you a $125 certificate

Last edited by Hogwild; 11-30-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:42 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
Lake Country pads. Couple of Orange, White and Red will do 98% of what you will ever need to do.

Orange for light compounding and cleaning

White for polish

Red for finishing wax

I use these on my cars and boats with excellent results.

1997 Prostar 190, TBI 350, 1:1, OJ XMP 13 x 11.5, Stargazer, Hot Shower, Heated Drivers Seat, Reuben/Mountain Rock/Nite Navy

Last edited by BrianM; 11-30-2012 at 09:46 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:04 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MC
Get a rotary buffer and use a wool pad. I picked one up on sale at a local auto parts store for $45. I beat it like a dead horse but use this. Notice it will get 1200 grit scratches out. I use 1500 to 2500 to be safe:

http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-mir...-compound.html

It's an amazing chemical compound. Slow speed to use the compound, press firmly, then as the compound starts to dry speed up a bit and lighten the pressure the more it dries. It turns into a polish, no joke. Wipe residual away with microfiber towel. Pick your best wax to finish.

If you really want to do it right, wet sand the oxidation away with 1500, then follow by wetsanding for awhile with 2500 to get the 1500 scratches out. Then use the compound/polish on the entire boat, then Mequiars tech wax 2.0 paste. Follow instructions on the wax. Apply, let dry, then wipe off with micro-fiber towel. The results will be stunning!
Old 11-30-2012, 10:16 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Boatless!!! NXT? X2?
I do the same as Brian above. Worked really well with the 3M 3 step boat polish system. Compound. Finesse. And wax
Old 11-30-2012, 10:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianM View Post
Lake Country pads. Couple of Orange, White and Red will do 98% of what you will ever need to

White for polish

Red for finishing wax

Will all the lake country pads fit on the 7424?
Old 11-30-2012, 10:31 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand2snow22 View Post
Get a rotary buffer and use a wool pad. I picked one up on sale at a local auto parts store for $45. I beat it like a dead horse but use this. Notice it will get 1200 grit scratches out. I use 1500 to 2500 to be safe:

http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-mir...-compound.html

It's an amazing chemical compound. Slow speed to use the compound, press firmly, then as the compound starts to dry speed up a bit and lighten the pressure the more it dries. It turns into a polish, no joke. Wipe residual away with microfiber towel. Pick your best wax to finish.

If you really want to do it right, wet sand the oxidation away with 1500, then follow by wetsanding for awhile with 2500 to get the 1500 scratches out. Then use the compound/polish on the entire boat, then Mequiars tech wax 2.0 paste. Follow instructions on the wax. Apply, let dry, then wipe off with micro-fiber towel. The results will be stunning!
Not sure I want to get a rotary yet as I have never operated one and am afraid of the damage I might do

The mequiars stuff looks like something I might pick up though.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:39 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogwild View Post
Not sure I want to get a rotary yet as I have never operated one and am afraid of the damage I might do

The mequiars stuff looks like something I might pick up though.
I never had until I bought one...That's the beauty of the compound I mentioned. It's pretty much impossible to cause damage. I taught myself. As long as your not on the highest setting pressing hard on a corner or curve you will be fine.

I like the porter cable for waxing. Yet, I still hand wax, why, I don't know? I should start using it...!
Old 12-01-2012, 09:09 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1988 ProStar 200, 1991 Mercury 2.5L 200hp XRi Outboard
Ditto on the Meguiars. Bought my first rotary buffer this summer specifically for the boat. Wool pad worked very well. Use light even pressure and keep the buffer moving around. Gelcoat is much tougher than paint when buffing. It worked wonders for my 88 PS200.
Attached Images

Old 12-01-2012, 09:20 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1988 ProStar 200, 1991 Mercury 2.5L 200hp XRi Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianM View Post
Lake Country pads. Couple of Orange, White and Red will do 98% of what you will ever need to do.

White for polish

Red for finishing wax

I'll need to order some of these too. Like the rounded edges of the pads.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:34 AM
TT Enthusiast

If I do go the rotary buffer route, which one would you guys recommend? It seems like the porter cable was the clear winner of "the orbital tool to use award" around here.