Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 11-30-2012, 10:52 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
Looking GREAT SkiMe!! I did the swing-away tongue this past year too and love it. However, mine wasn't for space, I needed the extra length. Update my chains to cables which looks great!

Hmmm... Isn't that almost every guys wish??

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 11-30-2012, 11:19 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double D View Post
Looking GREAT SkiMe!! I did the swing-away tongue this past year too and love it. However, mine wasn't for space, I needed the extra length. Update my chains to cables which looks great!

Hmmm... Isn't that almost every guys wish??
Where did you find the cables? I actually told them to mount the safety chain anchor further back on the trailer but they decided to place it as forward as possible because of my existing cable length. If I can find some longer cables, I may still have them move it back a bit.

1994 205, LT1
Old 11-30-2012, 11:29 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski-me View Post
Where did you find the cables? I actually told them to mount the safety chain anchor further back on the trailer but they decided to place it as forward as possible because of my existing cable length. If I can find some longer cables, I may still have them move it back a bit.
When I bought my new coupler I found them at the local marina. Mine are mounted towards the front which I don't see as a problem, since the Ramlin Swing-Away unit had them located there. IMO

Old and new pictures below.
Attached Images

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 11-30-2012, 03:04 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1991 ProStar 190
Question Vault

Jeff, Excellent job on your trailer! I have a trailer that has no brakes. My winter project this year is to put disc brakes on it. I see you bought from Pacific Trailer. That's where I plan to shop my parts too. Did you consider the Vault system for grease? Did you install it? I'm thinking about it but would like to hear from a few who know it other than those selling it.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:25 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1995 Barefoot 200 Yamaha ProV 200, 1994 ProStar 190 LT1 1:1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phntmski View Post
Jeff, Excellent job on your trailer! I have a trailer that has no brakes. My winter project this year is to put disc brakes on it. I see you bought from Pacific Trailer. That's where I plan to shop my parts too. Did you consider the Vault system for grease? Did you install it? I'm thinking about it but would like to hear from a few who know it other than those selling it.
Is Pacific Trailer the same as California Trailer Works?
Old 11-30-2012, 05:15 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockman View Post
Is Pacific Trailer the same as California Trailer Works?
No, different from what I can tell.

I got it from California Trailer Works..... it was cheaper overall and CTW had the swing tongue I wanted (PT did not).

Haven't installed the brakes yet so don't know the ins and outs.

1994 205, LT1
Old 11-30-2012, 06:54 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200 SS, 2006, 5.7L Crusader
Quote:
Don't get me started on that Blazer.....whole other story!! Let's just say I owned it in college, got married in it, had a kid, sold it and 12 years later, bought it back. That $3800 Blazer is now at least $11,000 Blazer! It has been fun restoring though, and ironically, the first kid (now 16) is driving it to school every day!
That's too funny Jeff. I replaced my swing away arm and brake actuator with the same one that you did this last summer. I haven't hooked the brake line back to the new master cylinder/actuator yet-it's on the list for next spring. Blazer looks as good as it did when you pulled it in to the parking lot at the house 23? years ago. My '72 is keeping the boat company in the garage up at our lake place. I had to put a HEI distributor in last summer when something in the original set up crapped out and I lost spark, but other than that it ran great all summer. Best part about the Blazer is that Kelli loves to drive it-I haven't taken any grief for buying since the original phone call I received after I sent her a picture of "her new rig". Bunch of guys were in town last weekend for the Apple Cup and had a great time hanging out on Saturday night. There's some talk about doing a reunion ...
Old 11-30-2012, 07:23 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgardjr1 View Post
That's too funny Jeff. I replaced my swing away arm and brake actuator with the same one that you did this last summer. I haven't hooked the brake line back to the new master cylinder/actuator yet-it's on the list for next spring. Blazer looks as good as it did when you pulled it in to the parking lot at the house 23? years ago. My '72 is keeping the boat company in the garage up at our lake place. I had to put a HEI distributor in last summer when something in the original set up crapped out and I lost spark, but other than that it ran great all summer. Best part about the Blazer is that Kelli loves to drive it-I haven't taken any grief for buying since the original phone call I received after I sent her a picture of "her new rig". Bunch of guys were in town last weekend for the Apple Cup and had a great time hanging out on Saturday night. There's some talk about doing a reunion ...
About time you chimed in! Boy, you covered a lot in that paragraph! I was wondering how your Blazer turned out.....sounds like it was a great buy! Love to see it this summer if possible.

Well, when did I get that blazer, 88 or 89?? Long time ago. it's over 300k now...

Man, awesome game! Couldn't believe it really. Had a lot of Huskies in our house so that made it sweeter.

Yea, I couldn't resist on this trailer. I just didn't think I'd come across that deal anytime soon so I better pursue it the best I can.....fortunately it worked out.

Hope things are well bud! Say hi to Kelli

1994 205, LT1
Old 12-01-2012, 11:30 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200 SS, 2006, 5.7L Crusader
Quote:
About time you chimed in! Boy, you covered a lot in that paragraph! I was wondering how your Blazer turned out.....sounds like it was a great buy! Love to see it this summer if possible.

Well, when did I get that blazer, 88 or 89?? Long time ago. it's over 300k now...

Man, awesome game! Couldn't believe it really. Had a lot of Huskies in our house so that made it sweeter.

Yea, I couldn't resist on this trailer. I just didn't think I'd come across that deal anytime soon so I better pursue it the best I can.....fortunately it worked out.

Hope things are well bud! Say hi to Kelli
I'm pretty sure the full size Blazer was purchased in the summer of '89. Didn't you get t-boned in the mid-sized brown one that summer? I thought I was buying the Blazer to be a lake rig to be left up at the lake place, but all the family wanted in town so we could use it more. So now my truck gets kicked out of the garage during the summer. Pretty awesome game for sure. Looks like you did great on the trailer trade. I've seen some of your fiber glass work so I'm sure that fender will look brand new when you get finished with it. Have a great winter and we'll see you this summer when you're in town.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:21 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
Crap now you got me thinking about the swing away tongue now. My trailer on my 1995 was pretty darn close to rusty like yours... cool how a little elbow grease and a can of paint can make it look.

Your brake rebuild looks awesome.
Mike,
A cheap option in lieu of a swing away tongue is to build a fold down tongue. Prev owner had built it on my Prostar trailer, but it was sketchy, holes were wallowing out pretty bad.
I reinforced it with a couple pieces of angle/channel and re-drilled. Lasted many years and thousands of miles of safe towing.
If you got access to a welder this is about a $20 fold down tongue (material cost) vs the cost of a swing away.
Attached Images

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN