Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 11-27-2012, 10:19 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
Time for a new sander

I had everything all set up to start wet sanding the deck. I cut several pieces of sandpaper and even had some warm water in my bucket. I set the sander on the top of the deck and plugged it in. The switch on the sander sometimes gets stuck and apparently it was stuck in the ON position and proceeded to crash onto the concrete floor of the garage. Or so I thought. Only to land in the bucket of water and also knocking it over dumping the water all over. The water is not a big deal, and I had unplugged the sander before it took the plunge. But the work has come to a rather quick stop for now. At least that particular project. Guess I will move to painting the windshield.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:36 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC2MC View Post
I had everything all set up to start wet sanding the deck. I cut several pieces of sandpaper and even had some warm water in my bucket. I set the sander on the top of the deck and plugged it in. The switch on the sander sometimes gets stuck and apparently it was stuck in the ON position and proceeded to crash onto the concrete floor of the garage. Or so I thought. Only to land in the bucket of water and also knocking it over dumping the water all over. The water is not a big deal, and I had unplugged the sander before it took the plunge. But the work has come to a rather quick stop for now. At least that particular project. Guess I will move to painting the windshield.
You're looking for random orbital? Round discs or do you want to keep using the rectangular sheets? I have a Porter Cable random orbital that takes 5 hole discs that is close to, if not more than 10 years old and I have sanded wood, plastics, fiberglass/poly resin on wood, particle board/MDF, metal- you name it. I never liked the idea of having to empty a little filter when I'm doing a big job, so I looked at their accessories. Now, I'm not expecting them to give these away but $30 for a vac hose attachment was just too mush, so I looked at a couple of stores fro an alternative- I found it in the aisle where Home depot has the flexible, gray washing machine hose that slips onto the outlet fitting on the machine and hooks over a stationary tub. The rubber sleeve fits the small Shop Vac hose end and the end with the removable hook is the right size for the tube where the filter slides on. I don't get dust all over the place and I never need to empty a filter. If the sander has dust in it, I either vacuum most of it out or hold it over my dust collector's hose. If it's really bad, I go outside of the garage and use compressed air. IIRC, it was about $50, on sale.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:31 AM

Boat: 06 X30
How badly damaged is the deck that you would need to machine wet sand it? There are a lot of nice cutting wheels and cleaners you can put on a polishing wheel.

Case in point: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=46345