Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 11-28-2012, 12:38 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: prostar 190 1989 351w
thanks, yes i am planning on putting a project together from start to finish along with brief explanations and supporting pics of how i approached each aspect.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:41 AM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by clrussell View Post
I love the back seat! I want to build the same thing but to put a ballast bag under it.. Any specs on it? How much storage room? Great work again!

Tapatalk
Shot! i will take some measurements and lets you know. Its basically a large rectangular box made form ply and glasswork on outside and inside...will send more detailed specs when i post the entire development of the project
Old 11-28-2012, 01:00 AM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
Carl...do you own a shop or did you do this at home? Business skill or a hobbyist...dang its nice work.

How about the engine...1256 hours....just broke in for some folks here..
Thanks. No I worked from a home and lot of the work was a first time. I researched a lot of the work on the web making using of yacht building forums as well as the Teamtalk forum. I have access to friends and family in the upholstery and auto body shop business, so made use of those.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:06 AM
TT Newbie

I wanted a finish that had no carpet as carpet is firstly difficult to clean and we have 3 kiddies who inevitably land up bringing sand and mud into the boat. Hence the reasonoing behind the teak floor. The side panels were laid with 3mm cork/rubber composite. This is exactly the same material they use for making cork gaskets. The sheets were very inexpensive and came in 1 x 1 meter sizes. The joint between the teak and the cork gasket was done with a marine sikaflex for nice finishing.
Name:  side panel with cork gasket.jpg
Views: 686
Size:  68.6 KB
Name:  passenger seat panel.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  57.3 KB
Old 11-28-2012, 01:09 AM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
Carl...do you own a shop or did you do this at home? Business skill or a hobbyist...dang its nice work.

How about the engine...1256 hours....just broke in for some folks here..
the engine has been very well maintained. I just replaced the leaky valve cover gaskets and had to replace exhaust manifold gaskets as well. The sight of the engine lets the boat down a bit but will need to scrape together more funds and approach the engine next year....watch this space
Old 11-28-2012, 01:13 AM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC2MC View Post
That is one of the best looking boats I have seen on this forum, IMO. I used to build Chris Craft boats and that really reminds me of the Silver Bullet. If you have not seen one, check it out. Nice work.
Thanks...coming from someone who used to build CC, thats a great complement. I used FRAUSCHER www.frauscherboats.com and CHRISCRAFT sites for inspiration in doing the finishes. I loved the silver bullet! The single tone upholstery was CC inspired, although I decided to break it a bit with the double top stitch.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:45 AM
TT Newbie

bow teak detail

I have had quite a few questions about the teak finsh on the bow. Some have thought it is a special spray job , others asking about whether laminates were used. Basically I used 50mm x 4mm burmese teak strips that were rough cut to shape and bedded in polyurethane bonding agent. The edges were shaped and the gaps between the strips were filled with a flexible marine epoxy, natural colour. The edges where the glass met the wood had to be filled with polester filler and shaped to look clean and flawless. Enjoy the pics.

Step 1
I purchased soem teak from a guy who had some leftover after doing a yacht job. I had it machnined to strips of 50mm x 4mm. The strips were dry laid on the bow and rough cut to shape. They were then screwed in positioned with the screws used to create equal gaps. The screw positions were marked and each piece was coded so that I knew where to put it when the bedding compound had been put down.
Name:  bow teak rough cut to shape and positioned.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  66.0 KB

Step 2
The screws and marked/coded pieces were removed. Surface was prepped with 60 grit and acetone washed. Polyurethane bedding compound was applied to both surfaces and the pieces were put back into positon and screwed into place.
After drying the screws were removed and the teak was shaped with 80/120 sandpaper to original the profile of the bow.
Name:  bow teak hand shaped and seams cleaned out.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  50.4 KB
Step 3
The seams had to be filled with epoxy and the edges had to be keyed ( hundreds of small drill holes ) and filled with a variety of polyester fillers ranging from medium to fine, then hand shaped and refilled till perfect.
Name:  bow teak, creating the edge before priming.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  42.3 KB
Step 4
The surface had to be sanded flat to create a unifom flat surafec 120/180/220 crade sandpapers.
Name:  bow teal shaped and filled with epoxy, sanded level.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  60.9 KB
Step5
Surafce was cleaned with a water, sealed with sanding sealer and finallly sprayed after rest of spray job was complete.
Name:  bow showing teak detail.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  72.1 KB
Old 11-28-2012, 05:55 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 mastercraft p190
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlbernhard View Post
Shot! i will take some measurements and lets you know. Its basically a large rectangular box made form ply and glasswork on outside and inside...will send more detailed specs when i post the entire development of the project
Awesome thanks!!

Tapatalk
Old 11-28-2012, 10:01 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, MariStar 200 VRS, 1998, LT1
I know it has been said so many times, but WOW! I love the tidy, and this is as tidy as it gets. Has the same feel as the CC Silver Bullet, and the Rolls Royce Phantom Drophead Coupe. The teak is just amazing. The color combination could easily be picked up by MC and it would sell like hotcakes. Looks very regal. My hats off to you not only for the high quality build, but in your choice of materials and colors.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:10 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
wow, that 190 is beautiful!!!!

Tags
classic, prostar 190 upholstery, rebuild, spray paint