Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 11-25-2012, 10:44 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 05 205V
05 Prostar 205V

I could use the advice of TT on my 1st MC. I'm moving from an IO and will use it for both intermediate level skiing and wakeboarding. I have a deposit down on an 05 205V with approx 250 hrs. The boat is very clean and relatively bare bones but does have a ZeroFlex tower and perfect pass. At a price of 25,900 is it worth buying and installing aftermarket ballast? What kind of wake will I get without a ballast?
Old 11-25-2012, 10:59 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
I have a 2001 205V just about the same as yours. Mine came with 3 manual ballast bags and a portable pump which works fine. You can search on this model or x-star for ballast guidance as many ditched the factory hard tanks and are running 500lb bags and various combinations of keel or,front ballast. Since the x-star (later called the x-1 or x-2) is the same boat /hull as the 205V. I'm kinda new to the Wakeboarding thing but this hull tends to get great reviews from wakeboarders and those that boarded behind mine really liked it.

I'm adding the automated pumps, wiring, etc to mine this winter to fully automate. Ther are some good packages from wakemakers that include everything needed and some good write ups on the web if you want something more than a manual system.

All in all a great boat that I'm sure you will love as much as we do ours!

Ross
Old 11-25-2012, 11:22 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 X2
I have an 05 X2 -- same hull. I think the price you are looking at is fair if everything is in good condition.
Even unweighted this hull has a good wake for beginner wake and kneeboarders. When we moved from our X5 to this boat my kids were scared of the wake at first!
In your case, I guess it depends on whether you need a monster wake now or later. You might enjoy it for awhile without ballast. Loaded up, some riders claim that this hull still produces one of the best wakes ever. We're not at that level yet to really affirm that. I mainly slalom, so I'm adding a wake plate this spring to help smooth out the wake above 30 mph. It also help reduce porpoising at higher speeds.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:25 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
BTW- your price seems good as well. I bought our 2001 before the start of the season last year and paid $20k for the boat. It had just over 300 hours, $3k stereo with amps and 8speakers, dual axle trailer, zero flex, cover, Bimini,SS prop + original, and was in like new condition

Here's a recently posted 2007 for $34k: http://www.bayareawatersports.com/se...&sortDir=DESC&

Last edited by Rossterman; 11-26-2012 at 08:28 AM.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:21 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 1996 PS 190 LT-1/Powerslot
Make the trip to Florida, 205V FACTORY Ballast and tower ready to go
350 HP MCX...60 hours

Jim

http://www.bayareawatersports.com/se...&sortDir=DESC&

www.BAYAREAWATERSPORTS.com
(813) 996-BAWS (2297)
Old 11-26-2012, 09:35 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Based on what I saw when shopping for used boats recently the price would seen very reasonable. A lot of course depends on condition. The tower and PP are two very big options to get. A ballast system can be retro fitted with relative ease. Wake Makers can give you an idea of cost and what the installation will involve. They'll also lay out all the parts and will put a complete package for installation for you.

As to the wake..... A lot of decent wakeboarders will tell you to ballast the heck out of the boat and at the intermediate and above level this is probably good advise. I don't do inverts or any advanced moves (mostly 180s, 360s) and ride with a 50' line so with just the kgb filled I found the wake to be very good. If you're an advanced rider you'll want ballast, speed and longer line lengths to get the world class wakes this boat in known for.

For surfing I ran the full ballast and a 450 bag on the side that I was surfing on. I thought this created a very good surf wake however I believe my 07 X2 has a noticeably better surf wake.

Overall if the boat is in the shape a 250 hour boat that's been cared for should be I think the price is very good and the boat will be a good match for what you want it to do. It has great crossover characteristics and will give you a lot of flexibility. If the size meets your need this model is hard to go wrong with. After all it was MasterCraft's first X Star and one of the longest lived hull designs MasterCraft has offered.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '99 205V
I've got a '99 205V. I love it! It throws a really nice wake. You can make it as big as you want. I have 1500lbs in the rear lockers and 1100lbs in the bow. Add 4 or 5 people and that's over 3,000lbs of ballast. Wake is a monster. It took me some time to get the surf wake dialed in. My year 205V they built the swim platform lower on the transom, so it drags really bad. But yours shouldn't be as bad since they changed that in later years.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:12 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Skiied first time a 2000 205V this fall, was surprised that v-drive did not give that much of a bump as I expected. The V-drive will make you make sure your form is right on slalom or goin' over the front ski can be expected at times... smooths out as speed increases...but nothing like a direct drive.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:35 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 05 205V
All.

Thanks for all the great info.