Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 11-21-2012, 12:59 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Not a MasterCraft
1977 Stars and Stripes Restoration

Hi, I have been looking for a early MasterCraft Stars and Stripes to restore. I had always wanted a Stars and Stripes boat as a kid, but have only had outboard ski boats. After searching Craigslist and other sites everyday for the last several months, I finally found a 1977 red, white and blue boat in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. I worked out a deal with the owner to meet halfway with the delivery and I brought the boat home last Sunday night. I knew going in this was a project boat that will take some time, but hopefully I can make it through without my wife killing me. My goal is to be on the water by May 1st.

The hull is in really good shape. I have found only about three small gelcoat chips below the water line. There is no blistering, deep scratches or gouges, other than wear on the bow from trailering. After pressure washing off two years of scum from sitting in the weather, I have noticed the deck has more spider cracking than I originally thought and am trying to decide how I will address the cracking. Engine and transmission are supposedly in running condition, but the motor has no starter at this time. Interior is trashed and the boat needs stringers and a new deck. The boat may need a transom also as the swim platform and one of the tie downs is not very tight.

I started working on the boat yesterday afternoon and I removed all the decking up to the bow compartment. I hope to get the gas tank (full) out and the bow compartment cut out and the foam removed this weekend. Anyways, I know how you guys love pictures so I thought I would share some of yesterday's progress with you all.

I had saw a few older boats with holes in the windshield for air flow, but had never seen the original vents. These are not cracked or broken only yellowed. I am sure that they would be hard to find....

Two layers of OSB sandwiched for the driver's seat base.

Anyone know what type of Holley this is???

Non-glassed pressure treated plywood overlaid and screwed into rotted decking/floor. Bottom layer of decking had no glass on the bottom and only a thin layer (no mat/cloth) of resin on top.

Delaminated/rotten gas tank mount.

Mainly used a hammer to bust the rotten flooring into smaller chunks and then vaccummed out.

Main stringers are just fiberglass shells, screwdriver goes right through the laminate. Secondary stringers have been replaced with some type of foam as a core. Foam wasn't even fully encapsulated in the glass, only a thin layer of resin/chop strand on top and sides.

Thanks for looking. I am sure I will have quite a few questions over the next several months.

Last edited by SWGA Boater; 11-21-2012 at 01:01 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:10 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1994 PS 190 TBI
I own a IMO pretty nice 75. I am really glad to see this movement to restore these classics. Good luck keeping the wife off your back.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:46 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 93 Barefoot 200 Yamaha 225F
Windsheild + dash look to be better than average....those are hard items to find.

The structural is all restorable.

Interested to see if that is the original color scheme ?

Good luck !
Old 11-21-2012, 02:13 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1983 Skier 190 Stars and Stripes
Roll up your sleves, get a 30 pack, keep logged in to Team Talk and get ready for a fun journey. Dont get frustrated, keep your eye on the prize and work on a list taking one item and a time. If something is put on hold or you have to wait for other people to finish an item or wait on materials then pick another small item on your list and work on that. If you break it up into small chunks it is less daunting.

Good luck and nice looking boat to start with, a new floor is really gonna bring her back.

JTR
"The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of GREED-the bitterness of men who fear the way of human progress. The hate of all men will pass, and dictators die and the power they took from the people will return to the people and so long as men die Liberty will never perish."
-Charles Chaplin-
Old 11-21-2012, 05:39 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1981 MasterCraft 351W slot
the carb looks like a like my Holley 4160
Old 11-21-2012, 06:55 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1991 ProStar 190
Sweet old S&S.

Sad to see neglect like that. Stored outside and left to die.

Seems like a BIG project to me.

Looking forward to seeing the progress. Thanks for sharing with the group!
Old 11-23-2012, 02:30 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1973 MC Skier and 1970 MC Skier
Make for darn sure that you get all the nuts off the threads that hold the windshield on. You will think you have them all off. There are two very obscure ones under the gunnels on each side. One is just forward of the throttle morse control. You will think you have it the windshield will twist and crack. It takes a 3/8 socket I believe. The ones in the gunnels that wrap around that are hard to get to will take some extensions and a universal joint swivel to get them out.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:28 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Not a MasterCraft
I/family have been sick for the last week so I haven't been able to work on the boat until today. I was able to get the gas tank out and swim platform off this afternoon. Transom is rotted just as the stringers so that will have to be repaired first. Hope to be able to pull the motor out and finish cutting the bow out next weekend. I will post somemore pictures as I progress along.

To glass or not glass the stringers to the hull that is the question. I have been doing a lot of reading this week. Pros and cons both ways. Anybody out there ever used Coosa board as a replacement/alternative to wood? Looks really good but is expensive/freight charges. Anyone got an inside track on Coosa let me know.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 Prostar 209 "Tarbaby", 2001 Prostar 190 Donor "Holestar"
correctcraftfan.com has a ton of respar threads, there are alot of nautique rebuilds since CC didn't switch from wood stringers til 93 or 94 I think there are some good result for using material other than fur boards.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:07 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Chief View Post
there are alot of nautique rebuilds since CC didn't switch from wood stringers til 93
I would argue that there are a lot of CC rebuilds because CC's are worth rebuilding! That, and they've been around a long time. All wood structured, foam sandwiched inboards will rot (including pre-82 MC's).

Coosa is good stuff- I used it on my last rebuild. I would encourage you to read over on CCFan as well- lots of good info over there.