Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 02-18-2012, 08:05 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft 205 1992 351 windsor
Cool WTB: Tandem trailer conversion part near Florida

Has anyone converted their Prostar 205 1992 or like single axle trailer to a tandem. It looks like the frame is the same and the guards(fenders) almost built on ? Does someone know if the second axle can just be bolted in along with the fenders? It is an original master craft trailer that I have.
Also looking for spare axle and fenders if this is the case in the Florida area, suggested wreckers/ dismatlers would be helpful. I have a boat coming back to Australia from Florida in the next week, so need to move quickly.

Thanks for anyone who can help.

Last edited by Muz65; 02-18-2012 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Grammer
Old 02-18-2012, 08:18 AM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
I doubt you could just "bolt in" a second axle. Spring hangers/shackles would have to be welded in, brake lines would have to be installed plus changing the fenders. Sounds pretty costly. If you don't like your single axle trailer you might be better off looking for a good used tandem and sell yours. Contact some MC dealers (Jim@BAWS on here is a good start) and check e-bay for used trailers.

What don't you like about your single axle? Your boat doesn't really need a tandem, and singles are easier to roll around by hand.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:36 AM
TT Newbie

Tandem trailers

Thanks for the quick response, the welding and changing of spring hangers is ok, i can get that done - but a very good point. It more about the fitting of the fenders and if the axle and extra wheel will actually fit on the main trailer frame. In fact i would really like to know if they are in fact the same trailer frame as the tandem? I don't have my boat yet so I can't measure it. As for "why" the tandem, I drive about 1 1/2 hours and a couple of back roads to get to the ski spot so it will be better on the road.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:13 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: MS Prostar 205, 1994,
I am in the process of doing the same thing for my 94' 205. That boat with full fuel and camping gear pushes the limit for the stock trailer, and tandem axles are a safety factor on the rode. I have a parts trailer and intend to rob the other axle, move and remount both, and possibly modify the springs for ride quality. Would love to find a set of stock tandem fenders without buying new$$$. Jim@BAWS has one used tandem fender. Fabricating mounts and steps for an aftermarket steel fender may be the rode ahead. In this case the trailer has to be refinished, so color match is not at problem. I will be posting progress on a similar thread this page. Good luck and keep posting.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:56 AM
TT Newbie

Smile Tandem fenders

Thanks for the response sounds like a good approach, would appreciate anyone who knows boat wreckers in the Florida area that have trailer parts?
Old 03-03-2012, 09:09 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Keep in mind that the original axle will have to be moved so that the two axles use the original axle location as a centerline to distribute weight properly. Certainly a project that can be done, but I would want to be sure of who is doing it for you. It would be cheaper and faster to purchase a tandem trailer, especially from a dealer where you could trade your trailer in. And the dealer should have all the necessary paperwork on the trailer to assist in it's long ride down under. as Jerseydave suggested, Jim at Bay Area Watersports would be a great guy to talk to on this. 813-996-2297

His website shows a used tandem for a newer 205 that could work.

http://www.bayareawatersports.com/se...&sortDir=DESC&

Good luck.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 03-03-2012, 09:22 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 Pro Star 197 TT #58 of 100
I believe I would look for one at dealer to trade with.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:05 PM
TT Newbie

Thanks Mrmastercraft, trailer looks good.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:59 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muz65 View Post
Thanks Mrmastercraft, trailer looks good.
No problem - happy to help where I can. Let us know how things work out for you. Cheers.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 11-25-2012, 08:05 AM
TT Newbie

For all who posted on this thread, I stayed with the single axle and changed the trailer to have LED lights and a little bit of alimimium checker plate. Fully sand blaster and repainted with new runner boards and carpet. Thanks.

Also I have another boat on the way and need some help with trailer a trailer compliance plate for an original MC single axle. Please respond to the thread below if you think you can help.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=51029