Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 11-20-2012, 04:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 ProStar 205
As long as the glow plug is still threaded in, I don't see how it would run rough permanently. The relay only stays on 2 min, and then none of them do anything. It doesn't sound to me like that is the Ops issue.

One other quick thing that you can do without any fancy tools is unplug the ICP sensor on the driver's side High Pressure Oil rail. It will then go to a default value, and if it runs OK unplugged, then the sensor is the issue.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:29 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft Skier 1984, 351 PCM
First thing I would check would be your engine oil. Stupid as it sounds if it is low it will do exactly what you are saying run but run rough with little power.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-20-2012, 10:14 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC 1999 Maristar 230 sport
+1 on the OIL and Fuel Filter. These are the first thing to check. If you have been doing general maint. then you may rule this out.

However one thing to look at maybe your valve cover gaskets. These gasket actually have the injector connetors and the glow plug connections in them. The connections are known to burn up especially if your have been cycling the key to increase the glow plug duration.

Check this out and you will see what I am talking about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ1wyMBvLLc
Old 11-21-2012, 08:16 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 ProStar 205
Both of the above mentioned are great places to start. I was just thinking last night that you might check the oil level in HPOP reservoir prior to starting as well. It could be leaking down.
Old 11-21-2012, 08:28 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 X Star
Oil level is good and recently changed. I don't think it is the injector connector as when they work loose you usually loose that entire bank (side) of the engine.

It was dark when I last started it and I did notice smoke but couldn't see the color.

I think I'm going to pick up an infrared thermometer from HF, start the motor and check the temps on each cylinder. This should narrow it down. Assuming I can narrow it down to one cylinder, then I will pull the valve cover, start the motor and unplug the injector to see if it stumbles or if there isn't a change. If no change, I'll look at replacing the injector.

Thoughts?

2002 X Star
Sold - 76 S&S
Old 11-21-2012, 11:41 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 ProStar 197 ProTournament Team
Send a message via AIM to TayMC197
I think its a good start.. It really doesn't cost too much to have the injectors checked. Normally about 100 bucks to have someone run a diagnostics. Saves a lot of guess work.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:42 PM
MC Devotee

Tay, I just saw where you blew your turbo, sorry to hear that.

I have a turbo on a "cough, cough" pwc that needs rebuilt. Where would you put the job on the difficulty scale?

2002 X Star
Sold - 76 S&S
Old 11-21-2012, 06:52 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC 1999 Maristar 230 sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76S&S View Post
Oil level is good and recently changed. I don't think it is the injector connector as when they work loose you usually loose that entire bank (side) of the engine.

It was dark when I last started it and I did notice smoke but couldn't see the color.

I think I'm going to pick up an infrared thermometer from HF, start the motor and check the temps on each cylinder. This should narrow it down. Assuming I can narrow it down to one cylinder, then I will pull the valve cover, start the motor and unplug the injector to see if it stumbles or if there isn't a change. If no change, I'll look at replacing the injector.

Thoughts?
The valve covers have 2 connectors on each cover. There are 2 glow plugs, and 2 injector connectors in each connector. You can have a single injector connection fail inside the valve cover. You maybe able to use an OHM meter and read the resistance from the injectors to ground.
Old 11-22-2012, 12:14 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 ProStar 197 ProTournament Team
Send a message via AIM to TayMC197
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76S&S View Post
Tay, I just saw where you blew your turbo, sorry to hear that.

I have a turbo on a "cough, cough" pwc that needs rebuilt. Where would you put the job on the difficulty scale?
Getting it out and back in is the hard part. Rebuilding it on a level of 1-10 would be about a 3. It's not too difficult. I believe you have the waste gate on your turbo so that will make it easier. Don't let it intimidate you, it's not complicated, just tedious at some points.

Got mine out and found that my variable vanes are shot. So I'll actually need an entire new turbo. Got it on order, should have it back in next weekend.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:25 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by TayMC197 View Post
Got mine out and found that my variable vanes are shot. So I'll actually need an entire new turbo. Got it on order, should have it back in next weekend.
That ***....

2002 X Star
Sold - 76 S&S