Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 11-20-2012, 06:12 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft x2 2004 mcx
x5 speedos

ive just bought an x5 yr 2003. the guy i bought it off has had the 2 speedo pipes disconnected from where they connect to some sort of module on the drivers foot well bulkhead.. he says they were not needed as it has perfect pass fitted,which is true i suppose.. also he reckons they could get water go up the pipes into the module and blow it?causing an expensive repair? im not familiar with this setup is this a possibility or am i safe to connect one back up..to work along side perfect pass? . the speedos pickup from the std pitots?? (is that correct terminology)
Old 11-20-2012, 09:28 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1999 Sportstar 5.7L Vortec
Quote:
Originally Posted by munkymush View Post
ive just bought an x5 yr 2003. the guy i bought it off has had the 2 speedo pipes disconnected from where they connect to some sort of module on the drivers foot well bulkhead.. he says they were not needed as it has perfect pass fitted,which is true i suppose.. also he reckons they could get water go up the pipes into the module and blow it?causing an expensive repair? im not familiar with this setup is this a possibility or am i safe to connect one back up..to work along side perfect pass? . the speedos pickup from the std pitots?? (is that correct terminology)
In a moment of stupidity about 7 years ago I kicked my module which is mounted towards the front of the bulkhead under the drivers dash and broke off the piece that the hoses mount to. After cruising for about 10 minutes I noticed my entire cockpit carpet was soaked. Took me all of about 3 minutes to realize that the water was just spraying out of the tubes that were now open. Problem was no water comes through unless you are cruising. I just clamped off the tubes and flipped up the pickups on the transom. Perfect pass speedo is fine for me.

So yes, there is water 'pressure' in those tubes. I've never heard of one 'leaking' and blowing a module but it could get the area wet, theoretically.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:30 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 X2
When I purchased my 01 X5 I had to replace the module. It had an internal leak which allowed water from the attached speedo pickup hoses to get inside and as a result half of the gauges weren't working. BTW, the module goes by the acronym MMDC = Multiple Module Data Computer. You can usually find them on Ebay. So long as your module has no leaks you should be able to reconnect the appropriate hose to get an analog speedo reading along with your PPass.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:58 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
He was probably trying to prevent the MMDC from getting fried if it leaked like wheelerd explained.
Personally I don't like things that don't "work" so 2 dead speedos in the dash would be annoying to me. I'd plug the lines in and give it a shot.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 11-21-2012, 12:10 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Wakesetter
I ran two new airlines by pulling them through. I bought the line at my local dealer for less than $10
Old 11-21-2012, 03:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 Matercraft Prostar 190, LTR330,powerslot,PP,heater
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
He was probably trying to prevent the MMDC from getting fried if it leaked like wheelerd explained.
Personally I don't like things that don't "work" so 2 dead speedos in the dash would be annoying to me. I'd plug the lines in and give it a shot.
*2. Depending on which MMDC you have, look on ebay if you still encounter problems. If you have water pressure to the unit when underway, check that speedos are plugged in also.Have Fun.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:17 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: between boats
A 2003 should not run pitot tubes or lines, by 2002 all of the boats used a paddle wheel speed pick up so there is no fear of water getting into the MMDC box. The speed inputs are all digital (pic of 2002-2004 MMDC box below)
Attached Images

Old 11-24-2012, 04:45 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft x2 2004 mcx
hi corey, its definitly 2003, and with tubes ...its also got a paddle wheel for the wakeboard pro, i dont fancy reconnecting them tho if theres a chance of having to pay for a mmdc box..
Old 11-24-2012, 05:19 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '07 X45 LY6
I would connect them and see what happens. At worst just disconnect if there is a problem.

You look like I need a beer!

2001 Prostar 195 Sold

2007 X45 LY6