Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 11-19-2012, 08:35 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2006 Maristar 200VRS
I think I would post some pics of the wake before and after. I can't imagine a 9K boat with stock ballast wake, much less adding 5500 lbs to it.

The ultimate man extender!

Tow Veh: 2010 Toyota Tundra
Bike: 2007 HD Street Glide

Beer:Sam Adams Boston Lager/ Cherry Wheat, Petes

Strawberry Blonde, Petes Wicked Ale

Chief Petty Officer: "Results not excuses"

"You Can't Beat a Tree"
Old 11-19-2012, 09:56 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2006 mastercraft x80
use the 6 volts because its a ton more amp hours for my stereo. i started off with 6 blue top optimas. they would last about 6 hours of play time if i was lucky. then i went to 3 3200 kenetics. they would last about 10-12 hours. i was ok with that. then i had one short out after 4 months. so i started thinking they wasnt that trust worthy for the amount of money they cost. so i did some research and talked to a few people and they said switch to 6 volts. each of my 6 volt batterys weights about 104lbs and it takes two to make 12volts so each 12 volt battery weights a little over 200lbs and i have 8 of them so thats a little over 800lbs of led weight. ive only had this set up for about 6 or 7 months and its crazy how well they last. ive yet to run them down to the point my amps start clipping. i played it 3 days hard at brostock this year and never charged it. drunk and forgot. i also have them stand alone. my alternators do not charge the stereo batterys nor do they start the engines, i have 2 blue tops for the motors. i have a 60amp smart charger that i plug in at the dock or i use a honda 2000 generator. if someone was going to add extra batteries and didnt go with 6 volt they are nuts. they are cheaper and man they can handle some abuse. i have a some what large system in my boat and they have yet to let me down

i have 5. 750/1 jl mhd amps. 3 run my tower. 4 rev10s and 1 rev410 the other 2 run my subs 2 jl13w6 in a bandpass box

then i have 2. 600/4 jl mhd amps. they are running my jl 7.7 inside speakers and 1 m10w5

at my local lake we turn this thing wide open and walk away and play on the beach.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:47 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft X-80
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIskier View Post
The listing is being caused by the step in the hull if I had to guess. Does the boat come up to speed and then start listing over and not want to accelerate? The step needs to be able to draw in air to ventilate the back side of the step, if that does not happen you will actually start drawing a vacuum and the boat will try to reach equilibrium, thus causing your list.
I would guess this is more probable than anything else. The 80's balance port/starboard is very finicky even when not loaded down. Trim tab adjustments have to be made as people walk around or change seats or it will tip one way or the other far more than when I had a 21 ft Centurion. I've found for surfing, that turning just slightly to the side your surfer is on helps get that clean bigger wake in this boat. Again, it's very touchy and sensitive to load distribution. I've also found that front weighting seems to flatten out the wake for whatever reason. Lastly, it is yacht rated so there really is no "posted" weight limit anywhere, but obviously every boat has some limit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-20-2012, 10:04 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2006 mastercraft x80
i wouldnt agree with all that. the only time i use my trim tabs is when i have 7 or 8 people sitting on one side of the boat and 2 or 3 on the other. i would agree with the turning while surfing though. thats only when using the stock ballast. i can throw a 1500 on one side and it fixes that problem.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:38 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft, X80, 2005, twin 5.7
Send a message via Skype™ to Project X
Did you get your tracking problem fixed/