Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 10-24-2012, 12:29 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2002 Mastercraft Maristar 210
After market ballast

I have a 2002 Maristar 210 VRS...any recommendations on an after market ballast system?
Old 10-24-2012, 07:57 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
WakeMakers

http://www.wakemakers.com/

Give them a call and they'll set you up.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '99 205V
Do you want something automated? If you're ok with manually filling your ballast sacs, it's easy. I have a 99 205V and I have 3 750lb fat sacs and 1 350lb ski locker sac. I put two 750s in the rear, one in the bow, and fill up the ski locker sac. That's 1500 in the stern and 1100 in the bow.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:02 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: pontoon
RLayton,

Here are a few things to consider. First, as noted by dvsone79, are you looking to manually fill some sacs or are you ready to plumb in a system for an automated setup. Next is choosing the sacs. Are you looking for a surf setup or wake-board setup or one that will work for both? If you already know how the boat likes to be set up with ballast, then all you need to do is figure out what model sacs are going to fit in the boat lockers and yield the necessary weight. Fly High sacs are the best IMO, and offer quite a few standard and semi-custom premade options. On the off chance that one of those sacs just doesn't fit the available space, then Fly High will make a custom sac to your specs.

If you are not sure on what the best weight setup is for your boat, I would suggest enlisting the help of other 02 Maristar 210 owners. Pic their brains on how they set their boats up. From there, I would pickup some sacs and a W709 manual pump kit and run with that for a time so you can determine for yourself if its giving you the wake you seek. Once you are comfortable with the weight setup, then move forward with the plumbing.

There are 2 basic ballast designs, aerator live-well pumps and reversible impeller pumps. I have had great success with both pump types and typically let the boat dictate which pump system we go with. For the boats with shallower bilges and lower free-board, we typically go with the impeller pumps. They can be mounted anywhere between the pickup thru-hull and sac and are self priming. The aerator pumps are not self priming, so they need to be mounted right on the pickup and below the water line. This can be a challenge on the shallow boats.