Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-20-2012, 01:18 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2004 Prostar 197
Looking at 2004 - 197 - Need some direction

New to the team and have been trying to do as much research as possible. Sold my old outboard boat and looking to pick up a MC. Have many close friends who own them, but would like some other opinions.

Have a family of 5 with 3 young kids. My 7 and 5 year can ski on two and really enjoy it. My wife and I ski at 15 / 22 off and enjoy playing around with a wakeboard. We are on a large inland lake but also have a pontoon for cruising when needed.

Found a 2004 MC 197. Excellent shape with 1 owner and all work done at a MC dealer. Has a tower with board and ski racks, barefoot boom, clarion speaker system with tower speakers, mp3 / cd player. Boat has 500 hours on the MCX engine. Owner replaced vinyl because MC stops making repalcement vinyl after 7 years ? -Is that true?

I spoke with the tech who did the maintenance on the boat and he recommended it over some of the boats that had sitting in their lot. This surprised me since he gets nothing out of telling me that.

It does not have perfect pass. Other than that it is loaded and really well taken care of.

The owner is asking $29,000. Does that sound right. My friends are telling me that it is worth about $25-$26 K.

What do you think? Should I look for a bigger boat with my growing family or something more versatile for all wake sports? I am guessing my kids who get into wakeboarding for another couple of years and this wake is great for getting them really into skiing.

I have also heard from others to stay away from the 197's until 2005 when things got better. Is this true? Where there any issues with that engine or model year on a 2004 - 197?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks