Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 10-07-2012, 03:50 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 ProStar 205
Some Ballast For 98 205

I know there are a lot of threads out there on ballast for direct drive boats, but I am looking to add some with as little interruption as possible. I am thinking a 580 Fly High Rear Seat Sac under the rear seat (can put in sun deck position to fill all the way. I am also planning a Fly High Tube Sac in the walk way. I am a slalom skier that does some wakeboarding, but I would like a little better wake, and be able to board if its just my wife and I with a decent wake. I definitely don't need anything huge. Below are links to the sacs I am planning on using. Do you guys think this will be enough weight to improve the wake to my needs?

Under Rear Seat: http://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-rear-seat-sac.html
Walk Way: http://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-tube-sac.html

One other question related to the ballast. We have our dog with is a good portion of the time. If I have the bag in the isle will her paws/claws damage the bag? Does anyone else have experience with a dog around exposed bags?

Thanks in advance for everyone's thoughts, suggestions, and advice.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:04 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Prostar 205
As far as durability you'll be fine with the dog walking on it, mine does all the time and people stand on them all the time when moving around the boat. I've got a 97 205 and use 2 750s on the side of the dog house along with human or additional ballast up front and the wake is nice. I think your set up will work fine (a good wake is subjective) but don't have any experience with that configuration but I'm interested to hear from others with their set ups.

Found a recent thread for you to read. http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=48278

Last edited by _fng_; 10-07-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

I thought about 1 750 in the back, but to use the majority of the bag the seat would have to be up in the sundeck position. I am hoping the 580 allows me to fill it the majority of the way full, and still have the seat down. I don't think I am good enough to warrant, or willing to give up the space required to put a bag on both sides of the engine compartment. Might change my mind of I decide to start surfing behind my boat, or attempting to at least.

Thanks for the info on the durability. It seemed like they were built well, but wanted to make sure Fox wouldn't put a quick end to the life of the ballast bag.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Prostar 205
I'm not sure if the seat height varies between our years but for my boat the area wouldn't allow much water weight underneath (around 250# if my math is correct).
Old 10-19-2012, 06:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

Thanks for the input FNG. My next question is about filling the ballast. My plan right now is to use a tsunami pump and toss it over the side. Its not that much water, so it shouldn't take too long. If a guy did want to plum in a permanent solution, would I need to have two pumps, or could I split it between the two bags with out overfilling or underfilling one? I probably won't install the thru hull or anything this winter becasue I want to make sure I actually use it enough to warrant taking the time and space, as I still prefer to ski if the water is good. Seems to me like there should be a way to use one pump for both (obviously slower). Anyone have thoughts?

THanks
Old 11-19-2012, 10:31 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '99 205V
Yes, you can plumb multiple sacs from one pump. I haven't done it but I plan to this off season. If you get a reversible pump, you can daisy chain the sacs from that one pump. Pump into one sac, have it hosed in to the second, keeping the hoses on the bottom fittings so when you go to pump out, the water pressure from the second sac pushes back through the hose to return to the first sac, and from there, out through the pump.