Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 11-16-2012, 01:59 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
I have the X-30 so I can help with that boat. Fist off surf wave is amazing. That's not a priority for you but the wave is world class.

Wakeboar wake is excellent. Here is what i have found. After my last boat and a few otheres I wanted a wake that was clean at all speeds. the X-30 has a VERY clean wake and is easy to dial in. As long as the weight is somewhat balanced, it doesn't wash at all. I love this about my boat. The other thgins is you don't need to go fast with weight. You can load it up with 2500lbs of ballast and run 21mph and the wake is huge and clean. We ride about 22 usually. It is a little wider than my old boat was but it wasn't anything too wide. We have found that the more weight you add the better it gets. We haven't even come close to maxing it out yet and it's still clean for days.

Slalom wake is better than I have seen on other 23ft boats. Its definitley skiable.

Handling, storage, space, rear seat and tower are all things I love about this boat. You can do most everything with the 30 and do it very very well.

Here is the wake with factory weight and than a shot from the rider with an extar 1500lbs. I have a bunch of videos of the wake too if you like.
That first pic is just so sweet looking. Wake stays narrow for quite some distance!
Old 11-16-2012, 02:04 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: xstar
Thanks for the feedback.

I guess there is no boat out there that could work as a solid wakeboard wake, and during the same session, flip into an acceptable slalom wake as well. From what I understand, only the x25 has an acceptable wake with standard ballast. For other boats to come alive, they need additional weight than stock ballast.

Does anyone have any feedback on the x10? Very curious on it's wake characteristics. Is there any user reviews of it?

Regarding the x25. So it is not too bad in term of acceleration, getting on a plane, and making tight turns? Also regarding it's wake, adding additional ballast helps as well? Since it is ok stock, is it overkill to add additional weight?

Lastly, any pointers on what the right setup is for the x15. Right now I have it with all stock ballast full, plug and play bags in back and front compartments full, and a 400lbs bag in the front on the floor. With this I put trim down at 50% and ride at 24 mph with a rope lenght of 65 ft (without handle part). Like this it takes while to get out of the water and to the right speed. I sometimes try to be at 70 ft but wake is not as rampy and clean than at 65ft. Any tips on this setup? Do you recommend doing something different? Any way to narrow wake width. Should I fill everything up to max as I do now, or do more weight in front or back... in other words is it better to be front heavy or back heavy? Also what about trim...

Thanks
Old 11-16-2012, 02:19 PM
TT Newbie

Forgot to ask... would changing the prop in the x15 make a difference. I have the smallest engine that was offered in 2010. Forgot exact name.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:46 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft X1 2006 310HP
The boat you described that will do all those things is the X1. It is nimble, wake is not wide, good wakeboard wake empty, great wake loaded, slaloms great at 32mph and up and good at 26 to 32. Problem for you is they don't make them here. I did think I heard they might still be availabe new overseas. I had you same list when I bought my X1 new and it fit the bill perfectly.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:53 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
please dont take offense to this, but if i were you... i would drain all the plug and play, ride at 22.6/22.4 and 60 ft (including handle - always include handle in line measurements).

i'm not sure where you are in your riding, but sometimes the worst thing people can do when they are learning is slam their boat out. the best boat i got to ride behind my first 3 seasons wakeboarding was an unweighted tige 20v. I can make my star's wake much larger than i need it - but if you learn on a small wake, it teaches you to get maximum results (height/length) with minimum tools (small wake). take that same learning to a big wake... and you'll be golden. once you learn this, you might actually prefer a wider wake
Old 11-16-2012, 03:14 PM
TT Newbie

No offense taken. On the contrary I welcome all the feedback.

I understand your points, and that is how I started wakeboarding in my first seasons.

I am not at an advanced level.... few inverts, few spins, big airs ...

But riding at 60 ft (with handle) is just way way too close to the boat for what I prefer and where I am in my riding level. The first hole that I have in my line is marked 65ft. If you add handle, it's like 5 more feet. So I guess total at 70ft. At this lenght, which I already feel kind of on the shorter side, it is harder to dial in wake.

Before getting this boat (x15), which I have not ridden much (80 hours), i learned to ride and progressed on nautiques. Nautique wakes that I remember were narrower, less rampy, but firmer. Maybe that is why I got used to longer lines and narrower wakes at these rope lenghts.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:36 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 X-30, 6.0L, 2500lbs of Ballast, 650lbs of Lead.
willyt is right. Many think they NEED more weight when in actuality they need more technique.

I have found coming from a moomba that the MC wake is more mellow but more consistent and you can charge them harder. I like both styles of wakes.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:07 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
willyt is right.
happens alot