Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 11-16-2012, 07:22 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: xstar
x10 vs x30 vs x25

I own a 2010 x15. I am about to sell it and want help in my choice for next boat.

What I did not like in the x15
- Wake gets wide too quicly
- This means you have to ride faster (24 mph) and can't have a longer rope line (max 70ft.. any longer it is too wide and washes out)
- This said when you add sacs, ride fast, and shroter line, the wake is great.
- The problem is when you add all the sacs it is impossible to slalom on the spot as sacs can t be emptied automatically
- Also wake is extremely sensitive to weight distribution
- Also when weighed down kind of a tank out of the water and in turns... but I have the small engine

What I am looking for in my next boat
- Wakeboard wake is the most important - number one driver in my choice
- Big plus if it is good with just factory ballast and just one driver in boat
- Really don't want the wake to get too wide fast as in the x15
- would like to be able to ride at 75 feet ... around 22 ish mph... and still have crisp solid wake
- Also my wife slaloms once in a while... so with no ballast and one driver going fast, slalom needs to be acceptable. Not pro level bot just ok
- Also don't want the boat to bee to much of a tank out of the water... not take to loong to plane... be nimble as well in turns

I know that some of what I am describing above is conflicting, but just trying to find best overall compormise

What I hear from the new boats:

X10
- I like that is is small, nimble fast
- Slalom will probably be ok on it... i am guessing
- How is the wakeboard wake? will it need tons of sacs to dial in?
- Will it be wide like the x15 because boat is wide and short?
- Not much info out there on it

X25
- seems to have the best wakeboard wake out of my listed choices
- wakeboard wake seems to be good with just factory ballast
- Does it get wide fast as in the x15
- Can you get a clean crisp wake at 22mph and 75 ft? or do you need to speed things up and shorten lenght
- If you empty all ballast and have just one driver... go 32-33mph with trim down. Is the slalom wake acceptable?
- I read some posts that it feel like a larger in boat in term of hadling... takes a while to plane, not nimble, harder to turn quick... is this accurate? can it be fixed with larger engine and tracking fins?

X30
- From what I read it is more nimble than the 25
- How is the wakeboard wake? is it ok with stock ballast? Does it get wide fast like the x15? Can you ride slower and still keep crisp wake? Do you need to add fat sacs to get great wake?
- How is it for slalom skiing?

I am overseas and it is nearly impossible to test drive here, so your inputs will be very helpful. Also a lot of what I wrote on the boats is based on threads and not personal experience... so may be inaccurate.

Sometimes I just think go for the x2... proven wake, nimble, also ok for slalom...

Too many choices out there... get confusing!
For purposes of this thread, let's ignore pricing aspect for now.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:28 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2014 X30 with a lightly tickled LS7
You may as well take the X25 off your list. You don't even want to think about slalom behind that boat.....
Old 11-16-2012, 09:03 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X25, 6.0 Ilmor, Pro Package, slammed and flaked!
There will be no chance of skiing behind the X25 at any speed with plates up or down.

Never ridden one but what about the X14V?
Old 11-16-2012, 09:29 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, X30, 2012, 5.7
I only have significant experience with the 30. It's very nimble and has tons of storage, room, and gets on plane quickly, the wake is wide and IMO needs extra ballast to fully enjoy for wakeboarding. Never slalom'd (I don't slalom) behind it but have a friend who complains that though the wake is fine the wash is turbulent. He wasn't skiing behind my 30 but claimed to have ski'd behind another so I don't have the exact specs on whether that boat had the plate or what generation of 30 it was.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:40 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
you as well ask your boat to resurrect the dead too

not going to happen. only serviceable stock wakeboard wake I've ever ridden is behind a 25, and as aforementioned, you cant ski behind it. any boat is going to need substantial amount of weight above stock to produce a good wakeboard wake.

that being said, i do believe they have made some strides with the cleanliness of the wake at lower speeds. I think levi was on here saying how his wake on the X30, slammed with 2500 or 3k of ballast was still clean down to 22. thats an option if you want to plumb the ballast bags into the stock system, so everything drains from the stock pumps

why are you so adamant about riding at 75 at 22? you have to be a flexible enough rider to accommodate any boat. I'm planning on riding at either 77.5 or 80 behind my star at 23 (was riding 75 but thats just too short). I ride at 82.5 & 3540 RPMs on an LSA (ha, buddy's malicruise was broken and we had to peg speed by RPMs) behind my buddy's MXZ, 70 & 24 (i think) behind the 210, 75 & 22.6 behind a VLX, etc etc.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:52 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2011 Mastercraft X-25
I've got an X-25 and can speak to it.

Wakeboarding wake with stock ballast is superb. Maybe the best wake of any boat on the water with stock ballast. It's not too wide, has a nice ramp, very solid, a firm lip, even at 22mph and 75' or longer.

It's not as nimble as my old X-2 (205V based) and not as nimble as the X-30 (or presumably X-10). But it's just fine. I have to dock in tight quarters and once I learned that it doesn't turn as quickly as the X-2, which was like a sports car, I had no trouble. Normal driving on the water, turning to pick up a rider, etc. is just fine.

I have the MCX (5.7L) engine and it's plenty enough power and it gets on plane without any problem, with stock ballast. If I load it with a couple thousand more pounds of ballast, it's a bit slow to get on plane. If I did that regularly, I'd reprop, and X-25 owners report that helps a lot. Or I'd get a bigger engine.

I don't ski behind it and wouldn't recommend it. Surf wake is very nice too -- but that takes more ballast. No issue getting to speed for surfing with lots of weight.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:02 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 X-30, 6.0L, 2500lbs of Ballast, 650lbs of Lead.
I have the X-30 so I can help with that boat. Fist off surf wave is amazing. That's not a priority for you but the wave is world class.

Wakeboar wake is excellent. Here is what i have found. After my last boat and a few otheres I wanted a wake that was clean at all speeds. the X-30 has a VERY clean wake and is easy to dial in. As long as the weight is somewhat balanced, it doesn't wash at all. I love this about my boat. The other thgins is you don't need to go fast with weight. You can load it up with 2500lbs of ballast and run 21mph and the wake is huge and clean. We ride about 22 usually. It is a little wider than my old boat was but it wasn't anything too wide. We have found that the more weight you add the better it gets. We haven't even come close to maxing it out yet and it's still clean for days.

Slalom wake is better than I have seen on other 23ft boats. Its definitley skiable.

Handling, storage, space, rear seat and tower are all things I love about this boat. You can do most everything with the 30 and do it very very well.

Here is the wake with factory weight and than a shot from the rider with an extar 1500lbs. I have a bunch of videos of the wake too if you like.
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2012, 11:13 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None
X25, no ballast 19mph. Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353082400.621365.jpg
Views: 1225
Size:  118.8 KB
Old 11-16-2012, 11:16 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2009 X-Star LY6
Oh man.... I want to wake board so badly... cant wait till spring

Owned:
2012 X25
2011 X25
2009 Moomba LSV
2009 Moomba Outback V
2008 Monterey FS180
Pelican 4 set paddle boat
plastic tug boat when I was 4
Old 11-16-2012, 01:57 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjames View Post
Oh man.... I want to wake board so badly... cant wait till spring
+++++++1

Not sure I added enough + signs.

I was hoping that we would get another Indian Summer week in late Nov. Nothing but 60's for highs and chance of rain in the 7-day forecast. My delusions are beginning to crumble like a house of cards! I may go out one more time but not sure if a 2/3mm wetsuit would cut it of if I'm going to have to use the 7mm w/5mm gloves and hood - with all that floatation a PFD will be overkill.

I also feel the X-15's wake is quite wide but that is also my lack of ability (or enough guts to just "go for it"). I shorten the rope to below 65ft to make it easy to get wake-2-wake, at 65 I get wake-2-wake most the time. Otherwise I put it out to 75 and just have a good time on one wake taking the big impact of hitting the rise of the second wake out of the picture. I do need to play with adding some more weight up front.