Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 11-14-2012, 11:49 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, x star, 2000, 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
No! Your comeback is supposed to be, "You got dirt?"
Haha. You got me!

Well back to the issue at hand.. (tried the fake-a-lake and had no water coming out the exhaust), I put the boat in the water yesterday and it didn't try and cook itself!

I definitely dodged a bullet there!!
Old 11-15-2012, 07:44 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp1504 View Post
Haha. You got me!

Well back to the issue at hand.. (tried the fake-a-lake and had no water coming out the exhaust), I put the boat in the water yesterday and it didn't try and cook itself!

I definitely dodged a bullet there!!
Not sure why anyone would use one since it's pretty easy to use the bucket method.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHR9bbPbwmM
Old 11-15-2012, 07:54 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, x star, 2000, 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
Not sure why anyone would use one since it's pretty easy to use the bucket method.

Yeah i saw that the other day, i'll give that a crack next time for sure!
Old 11-15-2012, 10:29 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:

so easy and inexpensive to make....after watching Tim's video the MCOCD kicked in...
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2012, 09:57 AM
TT Regular

Boat: x14
you won't believe what happened

ok so I take the boat out today didn't touch the ignition key until I had the boat in the water .and guess what the battery was flat some dickhead (me) left the ignition on acc with the blower and radio going.the nice man at the lake had a battery pack .so tried to start it not enough kick in battery pack.so off comes the trailer and in goes the 4x4. I lift up the seat and notice a lot of water near the battery.guess what the same dickhead forgot to put the bungplug in.i was lucky to find that under the engine where there was more water.anyway got it all going .and glad to inform you all the bilge pump is working fine.
so after all that had a goodday skiing even though I forgot to put on the suncream.
lucky I got vegimite
Old 11-16-2012, 10:15 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybobtail View Post
ok so I take the boat out today didn't touch the ignition key until I had the boat in the water .and guess what the battery was flat some dickhead (me) left the ignition on acc with the blower and radio going.the nice man at the lake had a battery pack .so tried to start it not enough kick in battery pack.so off comes the trailer and in goes the 4x4. I lift up the seat and notice a lot of water near the battery.guess what the same dickhead forgot to put the bungplug in.i was lucky to find that under the engine where there was more water.anyway got it all going .and glad to inform you all the bilge pump is working fine.
so after all that had a goodday skiing even though I forgot to put on the suncream.
lucky I got vegimite
I'm going to post this in all caps, so it has a chance to be noticed and followed- DON'T JUMP START A BATTERY AND RUN THE ENGINE WHEN THE BATTERY IS STONE DEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The alternator IS NOT made to handle that load and it will be damaged. The alternator is intended to recharge the battery after cranking and to run the accessories and nothing more (the factory installed ones, not some slammin' stereo and a shyte-load of lights and other stuff).
Old 11-16-2012, 10:52 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-14V
Quote:

Interesting video- i look forward to winterizing with a big bucket of anti freeze next year.

His last comment was 'you don't ever want to run your transmission when the boat is out of the water'. I'm new to mastercraft, but I would have thought that as long as the prop was clear of obstructions you could into forward or reverse. Am I missing something?
Old 11-16-2012, 10:56 AM

Glad you haad a good - day... OZ is beautiful...some good music came from there...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6oAFlPLGA8

vegemite - still does not look yummy....I guess we shouldn't talk we eat Velveeta... Yellow Vegemite?
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2012, 11:11 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtw_travel View Post
Interesting video- i look forward to winterizing with a big bucket of anti freeze next year.

His last comment was 'you don't ever want to run your transmission when the boat is out of the water'. I'm new to mastercraft, but I would have thought that as long as the prop was clear of obstructions you could into forward or reverse. Am I missing something?
The comment about the transmission would probably refer to "without anything going through the oil cooler". As long as the engine isn't in gear for any length of time and definitely not with any load, it's fine.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtw_travel View Post

I would spray a bit of water on the cutlass bearing...just to wet it.. if it's going to be for a short time... of have some shoot water at it from a safe distance to keep it wet...my .02