Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 11-12-2012, 11:39 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft 205V, Vortec MCX
2003 205V tandem axle trailer brakes

Someone removed the brake calipers from my tandem axle trailer before I bought the boat. How do I find out which calipers I need so that I can order them. What might the cost be?

Thx, Jim W.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:04 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
Most likely UFP. They have. 2 models (with different mounting brackets so they don't interchange). dB-42 and db-35. my 2001 has the older db-42 and torsion bar suspension. Also may need to verify you have UFP brake actuator as they switched to Reliable sometime around then. If UFP A-60 actuator, it likely used their calipers. If a reliable mfg version, someone else may be able to chime in as to proper calipers. You may need to measure the mounting bracket hole distances and contact folks at pacific trailers- you can also see pics of the actuator and calipers online to verify. I replaced all the calipers, pads, actuator, etc and was ~ $400 for everything through them.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:18 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
My single axle 2003 trailer has reliable brakes and actuator.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:31 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft X2 2003 mcx
I had reliable on my 2003 trailer.
One by one they all locked up.
So I replaced them with Kodiak 225 so far so good haven't had a problem.
Had them on probably 4-5 years now.

"Was it over when the German's bombed pearl harbor ?"
---Animal house
Old 11-13-2012, 08:00 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
I had Reliable on my 2003 X2. It should be easy to tell based on the actuator that's on the trailer. I had the issue where the calipers were dragging and at the time Reliable was sending out replacements calipers for the originals. They sent me a set of Kodiaks for mine.

So the better question is going to be why they were removed. If you're lucky the PO was having the problem with the calipers dragging and took them off. Replacing them and bleeding the system would be the cheap and easy fix here. Unfortunately there's going to be a good chance that since the system has been left without fluid that the master cylinder will be bad. If that's the case and you indeed have a Reliable actuator you're going to need to do a conversion to another brand actuator as Reliable is now out of business and parts are no longer available. There have been several threads on this board about this subject that you should be able to find.

As side note I have a Reliable actuator on my 07 trailer and had considered cutting some brackets and welding up some outer member housings for conversion kits. I shelved the project when I saw a post where someone had a UFP housing available to do the conversion for the swing away tongue on the MasterCraft trailer. I tried to find it this morning but didn't have any luck finding it.

You may want to post some pictures as they would help in identifying what you have.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:30 AM
MC Devotee

Found the conversion kit with the swing arm bracket mounted on it. May still have to have the section welded onto the center tube forit fit correctly but this does give you a somewhat cost effective solution should you need to do a conversion over to UFP.

http://caltrailerworks.com/online/pr...cat=156&page=1
Old 11-13-2012, 06:54 PM
TT Newbie

Thx for the replies, theyve been very helpful. How would I know if the master cylinder was bad? Also, if I were to use the swing away outer tube, what has to be welded to it?
Old 11-13-2012, 07:56 PM
MC Devotee

Not an expert on master cylinders or brakes so I'm sure how you would bench test it other than to put fluid in it and see if it still pumps fluid out the orifice to the brake line but that wouldn't be much of a test. Probably the best way would be to build it all up and see if it actually works (IE supplies enough pressure to operate the calipers without leaking).

The outer tube in that link already has the brackets welded to it. The question would be if they are compatible with what's on the trailer now. If they are then all you would to do is swap out the tubes and install your new actuator. If not you'd need to cut off your old swing arm bracket on the trailer main tube and weld on the new swing arm bracket supplied with the kit. When I was looking a making a retro fit coupler my plan was to get a new UFP outer tube, waterjet new brackets then weld them in place to fit the existing swing arm bracket on my 07 trailer. The idea was to provide a solution that 90% of the members of this forum with a little better than basic skills could do in their garage. At least that was my thought process. I would guess that a good number of members don't have a welder at home or welding skills to do a weld in kit. When I saw this kit I thinking there was a good chance it would fit the existing swing are bracket but there I go thinking again. The other thing stopping me was actual demand for a conversion kit. I believe there will be others looking to convert over as parts for the Reliable actuator dry up but I'm not sure just when that will be. I'd hate to build 10 or 15 of these just to have them sit on a shelve in the shop. If/when mine goes bad I'm sure I'll end up building something but until then unless I see some kind of demand I don't see a need to put any effort into it.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:09 PM
TT Newbie

I guess ill just buy the Kodiak 225 calipers and test the system out. Fingers crossed that will be all I have to do.