Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 09-17-2012, 10:39 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: n/a
Thumbs up Hogwild's Adventure

Hey guys, I figure that I would start a new thread to document my winter project and take as many pictures as I can to get tips along the way. I wanted to keep it all in one place for future reference.

As you may remember I had what looks like an oil leak at the front main seal. While I'm in there and have the engine pulled, I figure that I will try and do a full check on the engine to see if anything else should get replaced. Fortunately I have a mechanic friend that is going to help me and teach me as we go. Before I get started though I have a couple of questions:

1. Is there anything that you guys would add to the list or check on while I have the engine pulled? It is a 13 year old boat with 340 hours and I would imagine it hasn't had anything done to it besides routine maintenance.

2. Also, for gaskets and other parts, will I have luck finding everything I need (or having them order) from NAPA, or should I stick with Skidim? (other sites?)

If everything works out I may end up replacing the carpet as well. Lastly, some gelcoat blemishes will get repaired and the boat is going to get a nice wetsand and polish before the Spring. Anyway, wish me luck!!
Old 09-17-2012, 11:45 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Year, make, engine make and size and model of boat will help us spend your money...

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Old 09-17-2012, 01:02 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
With 340hrs it shouldn't need anything other than routine maint and cosmetic items.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 09-17-2012, 02:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.mccreight@hotmail.com View Post
Year, make, engine make and size and model of boat will help us spend your money...
99 Maristar 230 with the LTR 330.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:19 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1997 PS205, x-14 someday
Install some clear plastic sheeting in the bildge like the motocross guys have on their goggles. That way a couple of times a season you can pull off the top sheet and have a shiny new bildge.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:41 PM
TT Enthusiast

Just a few pictures of the progress and for those with the LTR to maybe see it at an angle they couldn't have before. We successfully pulled motor and decided to replace all the seals while we were in there. Turns out the leak was from the oil pan and not the front main seal like was originally suspected. Glad it's fixed though.
Attached Images

Last edited by Hogwild; 11-12-2012 at 09:56 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:45 PM
TT Enthusiast

2nd Set
Attached Images

Old 11-12-2012, 08:52 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2010 Mastercraft X2
Spark Plugs

I would've changed the spark plugs if only because it would've been the easiest one's you'll ever do.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:38 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraham37128 View Post
I would've changed the spark plugs if only because it would've been the easiest one's you'll ever do.
Yeah, I thought about it, but I had just changed them this summer and they only have about 25 hours on them. Would definitely be easier to work on if engine was easily removable
Old 11-13-2012, 01:22 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
What's that silver tray visible under the crank when the oil pan was removed? What's it for? The few times I've pulled an oil pan off an engine, I've never see one of those.
G