Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #41  
Old 11-03-2012, 10:12 AM
JDC's Avatar
JDC JDC is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Boat: 2004 Prostar 209 - MCX
Location: Indiana
Posts: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxhideout View Post
Where might these be found?



lol, yeah um, no.
I think he meant "ignition switch". You can get one at your MC dealer if you want it to be original. I replaced mine since it had a cheap aftermarket style in it, and the new switch was about $40 IIRC. 2 keys came with mine.

You might want to try a bit of spray lube first. The lock tumblers can get moisture, dirt etc. in it and a little lube might just do the trick. Just a short squirt in the hole (don't flood it), or you can spray the key and insert it in the lock hole, doing that 2-3 times.
__________________
Jeff

Last edited by JDC; 11-03-2012 at 10:17 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 11-12-2012, 07:32 PM
mxhideout's Avatar
mxhideout mxhideout is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Boat: '91 PS190, 351 w/'slot
Location: Outskirts of Twin Cities
Posts: 338
Ok, I'll try some lube first.

My dad is pretty sure that shaft is straight, but the strut is probably bent. Has anyone repaired/straightened one if it has a slight bend?

Also, the shaft has a couple spots that show some wear (you can feel it with your finger). Do people re-condition it, just use it, or get a new one?
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 11-13-2012, 12:39 PM
TxsRiverRat's Avatar
TxsRiverRat TxsRiverRat is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: May 2011
Boat: 93 Prostar 205
Location: Southwest
Posts: 3,765
[quote
__________________
What does the fox say?

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 11-13-2012, 12:40 PM
TxsRiverRat's Avatar
TxsRiverRat TxsRiverRat is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: May 2011
Boat: 93 Prostar 205
Location: Southwest
Posts: 3,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxhideout View Post
Ok, I'll try some lube first.

My dad is pretty sure that shaft is straight, but the strut is probably bent. Has anyone repaired/straightened one if it has a slight bend?

Also, the shaft has a couple spots that show some wear (you can feel it with your finger). Do people re-condition it, just use it, or get a new one?
LMFAO - taken out of context, this is some funny sh*take
__________________
What does the fox say?

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 11-13-2012, 11:05 PM
mxhideout's Avatar
mxhideout mxhideout is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Boat: '91 PS190, 351 w/'slot
Location: Outskirts of Twin Cities
Posts: 338
No comment...

Anyone else? Or am I just going to have to make some calls to local shops?... Anyone gotten work done by Propulsion Inc.? (Propfix.com)
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 12-13-2012, 07:10 PM
mxhideout's Avatar
mxhideout mxhideout is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Boat: '91 PS190, 351 w/'slot
Location: Outskirts of Twin Cities
Posts: 338
Well I've gotten a few quotes on upholstery. Viper so far is the cheapest, but I'm still waiting on a reply from Jim the upholstery guy. I hope to get the shaft and prop dropped off this weekend if I have time. When we test rode it, it seemed to run sluggish and on the rich side. Where can I find a cheap carb rebuild kit?
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 12-13-2012, 08:22 PM
east tx skier's Avatar
east tx skier east tx skier is offline
MC Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Location: End of my rope.
Posts: 25,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxhideout View Post
No comment...

Anyone else? Or am I just going to have to make some calls to local shops?... Anyone gotten work done by Propulsion Inc.? (Propfix.com)
If the bend is at the tip of the shaft at the prop end, you are probably not going to be able to have it straightened close enough to the .002" run out tolerance that is recommended. I ran over something with my father in law's MC years ago, bent the prop and shaft up and investigated having it straightened. Contacted a company (in NC I believe) that another member had used to straighten a bent shaft, and when I told them where it was bent, they said it wasn't going to be something they could fix properly.

New shaft from skidim, refurbished prop, some glass work, and I was good to go.
__________________
Previous: 1993 Prostar 205

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ


Tyler Ski Club


To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 12-13-2012, 08:28 PM
east tx skier's Avatar
east tx skier east tx skier is offline
MC Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Location: End of my rope.
Posts: 25,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxhideout View Post
Well I've gotten a few quotes on upholstery. Viper so far is the cheapest, but I'm still waiting on a reply from Jim the upholstery guy. I hope to get the shaft and prop dropped off this weekend if I have time. When we test rode it, it seemed to run sluggish and on the rich side. Where can I find a cheap carb rebuild kit?
I don't know if it's the cheapest, but it can be your basis of comparison.

Holley 4160 Rebuild Kit for 351, etc.
__________________
Previous: 1993 Prostar 205

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ


Tyler Ski Club


To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 12-15-2012, 02:15 PM
mxhideout's Avatar
mxhideout mxhideout is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Boat: '91 PS190, 351 w/'slot
Location: Outskirts of Twin Cities
Posts: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier View Post
If the bend is at the tip of the shaft at the prop end, you are probably not going to be able to have it straightened close enough to the .002" run out tolerance that is recommended. I ran over something with my father in law's MC years ago, bent the prop and shaft up and investigated having it straightened. Contacted a company (in NC I believe) that another member had used to straighten a bent shaft, and when I told them where it was bent, they said it wasn't going to be something they could fix properly.

New shaft from skidim, refurbished prop, some glass work, and I was good to go.
It may be the case, but I still want to take it in to the shop and see what they say. I found some cheaper rebuild kits on summit. How do I know which one it is?

http://www.summitracing.com/search/p...tor-model/4160

Here's a couple tools we made for removing/installing the prop shaft nut/hub:



Removed some material in the socket to make room for the radius on the nut.

Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 12-15-2012, 02:44 PM
mikeg205's Avatar
mikeg205 mikeg205 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Location: Plainfield - Joliet, IL
Posts: 11,728
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxhideout View Post
It may be the case, but I still want to take it in to the shop and see what they say. I found some cheaper rebuild kits on summit. How do I know which one it is?

http://www.summitracing.com/search/p...tor-model/4160

Here's a couple tools we made for removing/installing the prop shaft nut/hub:



Removed some material in the socket to make room for the radius on the nut.


nicely done...
__________________
...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
1991 ps 190, mastercraft, prostar 190

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:31 AM.