Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 11-07-2012, 05:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 x30
Be careful coming back to fast.... The graft whether an allograft or autograft (cadaver acl graft or pulled from your own body) is basically dead tissue and a bridge for new tissue to grow onto. The graft is at its weakest point at 6 months give or take. While you might feel hundred percent you are at your weakest and could re-rupture your acl and revisions are not optimal with an acl. I wonít get into the details but they have to change angles which are not optimum bio mechanically or they have to insert a bone plug wait several months for healing and then go back in. Find a sports medicine focused doctor and not a general orthopod.
Donít mistake me for a Clinician- I am a sales manager for a company that sells the instruments/screws for these procedures and I am in them daily. If you PM your location I can find the doc in your area that you might want to look to. As with anything there are good ones and bad ones and the people that know are the Ortho coordinators, surgical techs and us knuckle head sales reps. ACL is a complicated procedure to do well and give the patient full functionality and stability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschildm View Post
Well, as if putting the boat up for the year isn't depressing enough, I tore my ACL on Thursday playing basketball (the only thing enjoy as much skiing). I fear that this will make my summer next year very short, in the way of watersports.

I was just curious if anyone has had experiences coming back from this type of injury? How long it took to get back on the water casually, and how much of a set-back was it?

I know the worst thing I could do is come back to early, and I also know everyone heals differently, but I was just looking for other's experiences.

Thanks,
John
Old 11-07-2012, 06:15 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1989 ProStar 190
Take care of those knees and joints! I'm 55, an ICU RN for 23 years so pounded that concrete for that time. I just had a total knee replacement on the right on 9/12 and am getting the left one done next Wednesday. I've skied since I was 7, don't over do it. I am overweight admittedly and have a family history of osteoarthritis. Skiing is my one absolute love, we have the MC just for me (and grandkids when they come to the cottage). I'm probably an average skiier and this summer it hurt just to hit the wake. So I pulled the plug this fall. Injections of steroids and the gel stuff didn't work any more. By the time I went in with pain almost 4 years ago I was bow-legged already and the only option was TKA bilateral, no one ever offered anything else but "you will need total knees". I guts it till now. Through many discussions and whining to my OrthoMD he finally said the other day, "OK, maybe on glass", those were his words so he is listening to me Otherwise he didn't want me skiing AT ALL! If you're having pain, no matter what GET IN! And baby those knees. I tell people I skied pretty good on crappy knees for the last few years, I should do pretty good on my shiny new ones JK
Old 11-07-2012, 07:31 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 ProStar 205
I have friend that is a physical therapist and they recommended this guy, so hopefully he is good. I felt good afteabout it after my appt and I am a very skeptical person. Admittedly, taking it easy is not my strong suit, but I understand the criticality in this situation, so I will definately be waiting until physical therapists and doc says go ahead. Thanks again for the help. I am feeling less depressed now ... unfortunately I am struggling without basketball at lunch. Hopefully I can bike or something instead after surgery.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:31 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MasterCraft ProStar 209X9 & ProStar 190 LT1-Powerslot
I have had both ACL done in Greenbay, WI by NFL orthopedist. Although painful opt for the patella graft. Do not take the less intrusive hamstring graft. I have had friends and my wife that had the hamstring and it does not hold up. Like others have said, physical therapy is the key. Follow the guidelines. For me in college football it was a minimum of 6 months before I was 100%.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:58 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197 w/tower
ACL/PCL/MCL here. Listen to the doctors and go to PT. That is the key. Don't be the guy who thanks he can crush it and do all the work himself! Go to PT and do exactly what they say. I have to wear a brace now but can pretty much do everything thing I did before...freestyle jump/foot/drink!

I'm pursuing my lifelong quest for the perfect, the absolutely driest martini to be found in this or any other world. And I think I may have hit upon the perfect formula :
Old 11-08-2012, 08:17 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-2
I tore my ACL wakeboarding 4 years ago (I was 29 at the time). I tore it in June, had surgery July 21st, and skied the whole Vail mountain over New Years. As everyone said, do your PT. Mine had me doing excersises 5 times a day, so when the mid day times came, I laid down on the floor at work and did them. I got some strange looks.

I had the patellar tendon, which was supposed to be the strongest, and most painful. I luckily didn't tear any meniscus. My knee feels great and never bothers me. One of my buddy has issues with his hurting and getting fluid built up, but he tore a lot of cartilage.

I know an NFL lineman who had pretty much his whole knee blown out. They gave him the cadaver option, so maybe the patellar option isn't that much better? He did his the September after me, and is still playing. He's over 300 pounds and says his knee doesn't ever bother him, although he flew out to CO for his surgeries, so he probably had top notch.

A couple of other points to bring up:
1. If you wake up for surgery, and there's a tube coming out of your knee for a drain, there's a lot more hose inside your knee than you'd ever think possible, and it hurts like hell when they pull it out.
2. When the time comes to return to sports, CTI braces were the best option (at least when I looked 4 years ago) for water sports.
3. There's a new procedure called the double bundle that's supposed to be the new greatest ACL reconstruction. I think it's supposed to better replicate the original ligament. I don't know much about it or how strong it is or recovery time, but might be worth at least investigating.
4. I wore my brace for everything originally, but after the first year, I only wear it snow skiing and wakeboarding now. It never bothered my snow skiing, wakeboarding, or basketball, but it would rub my other knee when slalom skiing.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:37 PM
TT Enthusiast

Starting physical therapy tomorrow to get full motion back and swelling down. I am already going nuts not being able to play basketball, or at least get some kind of physical activity in. I think I am going to ask if I can at least ride stationary bike or something. My knee feels OK right now, until I try to twist or pivot at all, then I think I am going to fall on my a$$, haha.

On a positive note, I put quite a bit of boat stuff on my christmas list this weekend! Some ballast, and a new handle and ski rope.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:44 PM
TT Enthusiast

Had surgery yesterday. Ended up with the hamstring graft. Surgery went well, and I started physcal therapy today. Mostly getting swelling down and extension back in the leg. A little bit of strengthening to get the quads firing again. The pain comes and goes, but I am try to take as few of the meds as possible. I can walk with crutches putting a decent amount of weight on the leg. Thanks for everyone's advice and encouragment. It has helped me keep my moral up to know others have had the same problem and came back to full strength. Both my doctor and PTs have an aggresive recovery strategy, which I am happy about. I would much rather be pushing through pain than laying around on the couch (though I have done plenty of that too). Thanks again to everyones thoughts and advice.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:16 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Outstanding news.... good luck with the PT!!!
Old 11-29-2012, 06:32 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197 w/tower
Hate but love my DonJoy brace!

I'm pursuing my lifelong quest for the perfect, the absolutely driest martini to be found in this or any other world. And I think I may have hit upon the perfect formula :