Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 11-09-2012, 10:06 AM
TT Regular

Boat: x14
Starting boat out of the water

I put my 3 hours old 197 into the water today drove it the length of lake about Halve a mile
then drove back with a skier got to end started to turn then the temp light came on I noticed high temp switched off motor straight away .i ph dealer and it's going in first thing Monday.
what I want to know is does anyone start there boat before they put in water. I don't run the motor I just turn key soon as it turns over I switch it off.only because the first time I put my x14 in the water the battery was flat. after that I did it every time with the 14 had no probs.
the dealer said I might of burnt out one of the pick up blades. and I not suppose to do it.
but I did it with jet ski and the X14. the guy that runs the lakes said last year it happen to a brand new Malibu so he said it not uncommon
Old 11-09-2012, 10:22 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 190, x45
We never start the engines or turn the motors over out of the water. I will back the trailer up enough to get the pick-ups wet and then fire them up, then power off the trailer. If you have a bad battery, no worries, your still on the trailer and not flotaing anywhere.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:26 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: none at moment
Something certainly sounds wrong with the water intake but I wouldn't be quick to assume its because of turning your engine over for a couple seconds out of the water. Did you ever drive through weeds or a shallow area so that you could have sucked up some gunk?

If my boat has been sitting for a couple weeks or more, I always turn the engine over (much to my neighbor's chagrin) for literally 1 second to make sure the batteries are good. So don't feel bad about doing that and i hardly think that a second of spinning dry can damage the impellor. In terms of boating, few things are worse than getting to the dock and having dead batteries. good luck

Last edited by jdl xstar; 11-09-2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:38 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
If you fired up your boat without hooking it to any water source, especially after having it sit for any extended period of time, you probably didn't break just 1 vane from your impeller, but you probably broke every one of them off instead. NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, under any circumstance start your boat without it being in the water or hooked up to a hose. The impeller vanes are rubber, rubbing against a metal housing. They burn up and break off very quickly when they start spinning while they're dry, and they start spinning as soon as the starter starts trying to turn the motor over. If you started it for the first time after sitting all winter, the rubber impeller had also probably began to seat to the metal housing, making it even harder to spin and break loose on the first start while dry. Impellers need to be lubricated, and water is their lubricant. It's like having a prostate examination with no lube... you wouldn't like that would ya?

The good news is, you could fix this yourself for the cost of an impeller at www.skidim.com instead of paying for what will probably end up being a 500+ dollar dealer visit. If you decide to do it yourself, be sure to go through all the hoses after the impeller housing up all the way to your thermostat, because that's more than likely where all of the vanes you broke off are piled up at.

Last edited by mzimme; 11-09-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:46 AM
TT Regular

Boat: x14
hi thanks for the replies so far. just to let you know I am in oz so we are starting our summer .and the boats brand new I took it out 2weeks ago and then again today .so it hasn't been sitting .
we checked underneath and there was no weeds etc near the intake .
Old 11-09-2012, 10:50 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 96 PS205
Check for stuff at the trans cooler. Lots of small stuff can clog the small openings in there and reduce the amount of water the engine will get.

Oh and don't start dry or get P-exam without lube!!
Old 11-09-2012, 10:51 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mybobtail View Post
hi thanks for the replies so far. just to let you know I am in oz so we are starting our summer .and the boats brand new I took it out 2weeks ago and then again today .so it hasn't been sitting .
we checked underneath and there was no weeds etc near the intake .
Take a look at your impellar and see what kind of condition it's in.

1994 205, LT1
Old 11-09-2012, 11:07 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2010 Mastercraft X2
Starting

My dealer started a new boat in the showroom and man did it sound sweet! I personally never start it out of the water. I do exactly what someone else recommends I leave it on the trailer and back it off in reverse. I don't like the push off the trailer due to anything can happen and if it's still on the trailer you really don't have any big problems. (leave the plug out and etc..)

I'm going to bet it's not the impellar, I think it's something else.

Let us know what you find.

JG
Old 11-09-2012, 11:08 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2010 Mastercraft X2
Summer

And wow, I sure wish it was summer here!
Old 11-09-2012, 11:12 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Simple answer is it sucked up some weeds and the transmission oil cooler is clogged. Easy fix, and something a person should do as preventive maintenance a couple times a season.

And yes, you can start a boat out of water and not see any immediate issues, but this will catch up with you with shortened impeller life and potentially an overheated boat on the water.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $629
4 Matte Black T08 14x6 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $379
2 Matte Black T08 14x6 wheels, 2 ST215/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND. $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com