Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 11-08-2012, 11:52 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: MasterCraft, Prostar 205, 1994, 350
Oh and what do you save $ wise getting V8.0 and not Zbox?
Old 11-08-2012, 12:16 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
Not sure what I did that would change that behavior.

Unlocked, let me know when you are done.

Thanks Doug.
All done. Thanks.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:17 PM
MC Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsta281 View Post
Oh and what do you save $ wise getting V8.0 and not Zbox?
Yes. You can opt for the V8 with SG last I checked. I think it locks in a bit more quickly and also does away with the need for magnets. I think it's about $99 to purchase separately. The zbox upgrade is around $500. So about $400.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:37 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1991 ProStar 190
So, to help me understand. My SG adjusts speed at entry gates and each ball through the course so the (virtual) course is broken into 7 segments (?). Z Box makes it one constant with adjustments on the fly by reacting to the skiers pull. Right now my segments are generally either right on or .01 second off. It almost always finishes with actual times. So if I'm fast in the first part of the course I'm slow in the second half, and visa versa. Will Z Box erase this by holding a speed and not balancing a time? Is the system strong enough to stay on top of it? I think my boat is. Will it actually feel like ZO? Trying to decide if another $439 to PP will really make a noticable difference. Is V8 included in Z Box?

Old 11-08-2012, 02:20 PM
TT Newbie

Last question hopefully :-) if somebody has one of these for sale used are they interchangeable between boat manufacturers? Could I put a stargazer that was installed on Malibu on a Mastercraft?
Old 11-08-2012, 03:43 PM
MC Hero

The gauge is interchangeable, but may have a competing brand on it. The master module is interchangeable, but if you find an older one, check the serial number with PP to make sure it can take the V8 update (some of the older ones cannot). The servo cable to throttle is length specific depending on year, make, and model. The wiring harness may be specific, but these typically don't come up for sale too often.

All in all, you can cobble some parts together, but some of it, i.e., wiring harness, servo motor, and cable, you'll just have to buy new.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Old 11-08-2012, 03:49 PM
TT Newbie

Awesome info thanks!
Old 11-08-2012, 03:53 PM
MC Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phntmski View Post
So, to help me understand. My SG adjusts speed at entry gates and each ball through the course so the (virtual) course is broken into 7 segments (?). Z Box makes it one constant with adjustments on the fly by reacting to the skiers pull. Right now my segments are generally either right on or .01 second off. It almost always finishes with actual times. So if I'm fast in the first part of the course I'm slow in the second half, and visa versa. Will Z Box erase this by holding a speed and not balancing a time? Is the system strong enough to stay on top of it? I think my boat is. Will it actually feel like ZO? Trying to decide if another $439 to PP will really make a noticable difference. Is V8 included in Z Box?

To start, version 8(z) is included with zbox. If you have an older Master Module, you may need to sell it and start new. That's what I did. But mine was one of the very early SG models. My understanding is that SG is constantly adjusting based on what the GPS is telling it, not just at the balls. However, it is not reacting as quickly as ZO does because it is reacting to changes in speed rather than, how should I say it, anticipating them based on additionally input from an accelerometer. In that way, it is reacting before the boat has a chance to slow down, at least in theory.

I liked regular SG fine. End of course times were always spot on. However, unless you really have the Gate, 1, and 3 numbers dialed in, it tends to run away from you a little at the 3 ball to make up time.

Does it feel like Zero Off? Well, I can't tell much of a difference. But at my level, I can't tell much of a difference between ZO and SG. Again, at my level. The guys I ski with like it. One of them has Zero Off in his 2012 197. The other has ordered SG with a Zbox for his Malibu. From the driver's seat, you can hear the engine reving with the pulls. If you go on ballofspray, you can see what the hard core skiers have to say about it. In short, I think the consensus is that it's as close as you're going to get, but it's not perfect. They need perfect more than I do.

On my boat, it ran pretty well out of the box. However, I forgot to get the crew weight dialed in one time and it was pretty far off. I tweaked the settings (lowered the z-setting that controls how quickly the zbox information gets responded to, and it now runs really well. As I mentioned earlier, on my boat, the new software settles into the set point much more quickly than the older software did.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

Old 11-08-2012, 05:12 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1991 ProStar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by east tx skier View Post
To start, version 8(z) is included with zbox. If you have an older Master Module, you may need to sell it and start new. That's what I did. But mine was one of the very early SG models. My understanding is that SG is constantly adjusting based on what the GPS is telling it, not just at the balls. However, it is not reacting as quickly as ZO does because it is reacting to changes in speed rather than, how should I say it, anticipating them based on additionally input from an accelerometer. In that way, it is reacting before the boat has a chance to slow down, at least in theory.

I liked regular SG fine. End of course times were always spot on. However, unless you really have the Gate, 1, and 3 numbers dialed in, it tends to run away from you a little at the 3 ball to make up time.

Does it feel like Zero Off? Well, I can't tell much of a difference. But at my level, I can't tell much of a difference between ZO and SG. Again, at my level. The guys I ski with like it. One of them has Zero Off in his 2012 197. The other has ordered SG with a Zbox for his Malibu. From the driver's seat, you can hear the engine reving with the pulls. If you go on ballofspray, you can see what the hard core skiers have to say about it. In short, I think the consensus is that it's as close as you're going to get, but it's not perfect. They need perfect more than I do.

On my boat, it ran pretty well out of the box. However, I forgot to get the crew weight dialed in one time and it was pretty far off. I tweaked the settings (lowered the z-setting that controls how quickly the zbox information gets responded to, and it now runs really well. As I mentioned earlier, on my boat, the new software settles into the set point much more quickly than the older software did.

Got my SG late 2010. Gotta have gate magnets. It does great but the processor seems a little slow. With plenty of set up time it's near perfect with anyone driving it, all segment times. But where I ski we have a short set up on one end which requires a soft touch to get right and like you said, if segment times are off for 1 and 3 ball it's wacked the rest of the way. Seems like it's trying to crunch so much info it takes a little while to settle in. To be honest the old DP seemed to settle in a little faster. All that said I'm beginning to think I might give that Z Box a try. Or at least talk to PP about that $150 gizmo that will allow me to map (#, I believe) courses, especially if it'll speed things up for getting everything locked in.

Thanks Doug