Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 11-05-2012, 10:52 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneBoatN View Post
I got this one - http://www.trailertirewarehouse.com/...-HS145A045.htm

I got it for $65 because the one I originally was going to go with was out of stock so they substituted this one.
Any pics with the new wheels and are you pleased with them? They do look real nice. Are you happy with them over the original ones you were going to buy? Do you think getting them for $65 was a one time deal? Thanks!

1994 205, LT1
Old 11-05-2012, 03:19 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Not sure what the brand or model was. I basically went to discount tire, opened the book and started looking at the cheap aluminum wheel section until I saw something that looked close to it to me. Here's a picture of the one I got mounted on the boat trailer.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
That's actually quite true and a common practice with most boat purchases. Admittedly at the price you paid for the boat the price of a spare is probably a very small percentage of the total cost. The last two boats I purchased (used of course) did not have spares. The POs in both instances told me they didn't tow much and that the spare was expensive that they didn't order one.

Buying one of the MasterCraft wheels from the dealer later however is not cheap either as I later found out. I ended up buying a wheel that was close in design then putting a MC tire cover on it.
Attached Images

Old 11-05-2012, 03:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-2
I did the same thing as bturner2 for my 2012 X-2. I don't have a picture, and the boat's in storage. I went online, found the cheapest white rim and tire combo I could find, then put the MC cover on it. My dealer sold me the mounting bracket for $30. I put it the same spot as bturner2, then made a couple of adjustments fore/aft to get it positioned correctly to not rub while loading/unloading the boat. It's not as good as the factory position, but it was a lot cheaper than the $660 factory spare option.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:58 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski-me View Post
Any pics with the new wheels and are you pleased with them? They do look real nice. Are you happy with them over the original ones you were going to buy? Do you think getting them for $65 was a one time deal? Thanks!
I only got one and as the spare it sits under the trailer in the spare tire carrier. Knock on wood, I've not had to use it. Because it does not match the other 4 tires, I have it mounted upside down - not that it matters because you really don't see much of it under the trailer while the boat is on it. Don't know about the "one time deal"; you could contact the company and see if they would match it again.

As far as looks, I'd have to say they are decent. Not as much "bling" as the Mastercraft rims as they are somewhat plain but a lot nicer looking than say the "modular" style. The picture on the web site is pretty accurate but be sure you "click to enlarge" to see the better image.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:22 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1998 ProStar 190
That's kind of odd. I just bought my first Matercraft (1998) with a single axle trailer, NO SPARE, but there was a spare mount on the starboard side of the trailer. Guess I was lucky.