Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 10-31-2012, 04:41 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Want X2
Exile for X2

I am looking to upgrade my stock system on my X2, It has 4 JL cabin speakers with a Kenwood amp. I would like to add 4 SXT65 speakers and amp, will I notice a difference with the Harpoon over the XI800.4? Is it better to go with a 2 or 4ch amp? I am also going to ad a exile 12inch sub and 500w amp. How come allot of the speaker pics have black grills can you get them with black instead of chrome?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:03 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: TBD
Typically with unregulated amplifiers you use a bridged 4-channel amplifier to drive a single pair of tower speakers and a stereo 2-channel amplifier to drive two pair of tower speakers. This approach is meant to develope the maximum 2-ohm power in either case. (Note: with an unregulated amplifier the 4-ohm bridged power is equal to the 2-ohm stereo power). So by CEA2006 standards of measurement the Exile xi800.4 will produce 220 watts times two bridged into 4-ohms while the Exile Harpoon will develop the identical 220 watts times two running stereo into a 4-ohm load. However, the Harpoon will develop more dynamic headroom in the above scenario and will go up to two times 350 watts when you drive it into a 2-ohm stereo load as in two pair of tower speakers. So in a four speaker system the 2-channel Harpoon has a substantial advantage over the xi800.4.

David
Old 10-31-2012, 05:23 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 Prostar 214 w/ mini tower mcx
Quote:
Originally Posted by periosurg View Post
I am looking to upgrade my stock system on my X2, It has 4 JL cabin speakers with a Kenwood amp. I would like to add 4 SXT65 speakers and amp, will I notice a difference with the Harpoon over the XI800.4? Is it better to go with a 2 or 4ch amp? I am also going to ad a exile 12inch sub and 500w amp. How come allot of the speaker pics have black grills can you get them with black instead of chrome?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PM sent....please consider all your options before purchasing.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:37 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Want X2
What do you think of this set-up for an X2: Just want something nice sounding not over the top?

2 Pair of SXT65
1 Harpoon Amp
12" XI 600W sub
600.1 Amp for sub
800.4 Amp for cabins