Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 10-28-2012, 11:15 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
Agreed, Impellers are one of those change-every-year maintenance items anyway, so pull the old one however you can, and throw it away.

Perhaps the best bet for easing the old one out is to spray some soap solution into the pump/impeller, and bump the engine over a little bit to distribute the soap (and get it between the impeller/housing). Use the paint can openers, or vise-grips, and pull it out. Wait till spring to install the new one.

/frank
Old 10-29-2012, 06:57 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Keep the old one as a spare if it doesn't get chewed up when you pull it out.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:34 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
1. I might be the one you saw that re-painted the windshield. That being said, we used plain old semi-gloss Rustoleum. We did not remove the windshield, although the thought had crossed my mind. After Kyle told me that the glass is irreplaceable (and would basically total the boat), I agreed that painting it while it stays on the boat was the safest option. So, get some painters take or masking tape and some newspaper and spray it with the windshield intact. Remove the overspray with acetone. (We also removed and sprayed all 4 vents on my PS205 and they look awesome).

2. Impeller: Remove and inspect the existing one, and keep a spare + few tools onboard. You can change this in 10 minutes right on the water. Use soapy water in the install / removal if needed.

3. Gelcoat repair: There are kits that come pre-mixed that should match the glacier white, but you might need more than the small kit I am about to order.

3. To remove discoloration, we kaboomed my boat back to white, then polished it with paste wax. To remove surface scratches, I have used 3M rubbing compound.

4. If you want to order new nonskid for the trailer, I highly recommend you give Shane @ www.nonsliptapes.com Phone(724)256-8359 Email- Shane@nonsliptapes.com. It was affordable, and he was able to help me select a new nonskid surface. Plus, the added bonus was he cut it to my size specs so I would not have to.

5. My teak looked like yours at one time crack and all. I took 3-4 self tapping wood screws and drilled them into the end of the teak to fuse it all back together. I couter sank them and covered them up with wood filler.

Hope some of this helps.

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 10-31-2012, 12:25 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '91 PS190, 351 w/'slot
The impeller that's in there is still good (I think the previous owner said he recently replaced it). I was just going to pull it for the winter to keep it from cracking in the cold.

Sounds like the gel-coat isn't too difficult, so we'll probably do that next spring/summer when the boat isn't in use.

We want to re-upholster most of the interior by ourselves to keep it cheap. I think we'll be doing pretty much everything except the engine cover. Has anyone on here done everything at home? We're looking to get just a cheap industrial sewing machine, then get some material that's a close match to stock and copy the pattern. Also, has anyone here added the "Mastercraft" to the upholstery? That would make it look like new, so I was just wondering how difficult it would be, or if someone does it cheap...

I think the interior is the main thing that we'll be doing over the winter. I'd like to get another prop since the stock one is pretty dinged up. What's a good price to pay for one?
Old 11-01-2012, 12:38 AM
TT Enthusiast

Another thing... The ignition sticks when trying to turn the key or pull it out. Anyone else have that problem? Can it be cleaned/repaired, or do I need a new one?
Old 11-01-2012, 08:35 AM

Is it a new key or an old key?
Old 11-01-2012, 09:13 AM
TT Enthusiast

Pretty sure it's still the factory key.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:57 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1995 Barefoot 200 Yamaha ProV 200, 1994 ProStar 190 LT1 1:1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxhideout View Post
Pretty sure it's still the factory key.
Replace the ignition module and you get 4 news keys when you do this...cheap fix to that.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:27 PM

Or go with this if you have $429.00 burning a hole in your pocket..

http://www.digitalguarddawg.com/2GOKEYLESS-Marine1.html
Attached Images

Old 11-01-2012, 09:19 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockman View Post
Replace the ignition module and you get 4 news keys when you do this...cheap fix to that.
Where might these be found?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
Or go with this if you have $429.00 burning a hole in your pocket..

http://www.digitalguarddawg.com/2GOKEYLESS-Marine1.html
lol, yeah um, no.

Tags
1991 ps 190, mastercraft, prostar 190