Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 11-01-2012, 12:15 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X25
Mixing Speakers?

Has anyone ever mixed 2 JL tower speakers and 2 wetsound speakers? Thoughts if it would goofy?
Old 11-01-2012, 12:43 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: TBD
Here is the issue if you are mixing a pair of JL Audio 770s with a pair of Wetsounds HLCDs.
The JL Audio is designed to be a linear (an extremely smooth and neutral response) 'sound quality' speaker. The byproduct of all such speakers, whether in home, car or other, is less sensitivity. Now if correctly powered (much more than factory uses) they will play loud. However, it's not the type of speaker that will project at wake range and compete with exhaust noise at a crazy S.P.L.
In contrast, the Wetsounds HLCD is designed specifically to play with authority at wake range. So it is a louder speaker....period. And if it's a larger 8" or 10" speaker the added surface area translates to even more of an output differential.
So now you have the problem of tuning. If you set the less sensitive speaker at the same level as the higher output speaker then one speaker tends to get over-driven. If you balance the two speakers according to power handling then one speaker tends to sonically disappear.
For those reasons I strongly recommend four symmetrical speakers in both type and size.

David
Old 11-01-2012, 12:53 AM
TT Enthusiast

Well that's sums it up. Lol. Thanks for the info. Great stuff for sure. I guess I'll be selling the JLs.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:40 AM
MC Fanatic

Don't get me wrong, the JLs are a favorite of mine (when correctly powered and tuned) for the way that I personally would listen to music on the lake....which is in a still and more relaxed setting near field. IMO, they are the very best for this application. But if you want to host the music for a large group or have a commanding output at wake range while underway you really do need to transition to Wetsounds HLCDs.

David
Old 11-01-2012, 03:49 PM
TT Enthusiast

What would you recommend to power 4 JLs?
Old 11-01-2012, 03:58 PM
MC Fanatic

A single JL Audio HD750/1 or MHD750/1 fullrange monoblock amplifier will deliver 187.5 watts to each of four 7.7" speakers which is a conservative rating and given that the amplifier is strictly regulated this power will be realized at any supply voltage from 11 to 14.4 volts making this amplifier 20 to 30 percent more robust than an equivalently powered unregulated amplifier.
This will tap the full potential of the 770s and is safe in the highpass mode if you know how to take care of your possessions. By comparison with the factory power at the same realistic supply voltage presently you may be getting only a third of that power or less to the tower.

David