Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 10-07-2012, 12:24 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: pontoon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddummitt View Post
Sorry its been a while since I was here.

I ordered 6 Polk 651 coaxials to replace my existing speakers (4 cabin and 2 tower).
I have the existing amp (Calrion APX480M) which powers all six speakers and the original sub.
As previously mentioned, I have an XN3410 and an XN3210.

So, should I go with the XN3410 for the cabin and tower (as MLA mentioned) and the xn 3210 for the sub? Does this configuration provide proper balance?

We do not like the volume in the Cabin real loud but it would be nice to hear the stereo at the end of the rope. Is there a way to achieve this mix?... and of course without sinking a lot of money.
I would use the Xn3210 for the single pair of Polks on the tower. 90W rms to each at 4 ohm with room to add a 2nd pair later if you wanted.

For the 4 in-boat, the XN3410 would allow you to run the port bow and main-cabin wired in parallel on chnl 1 and the stbd bow and main-cabin wired in parallel on chnl 2 for 82W rms to each speaker and they would still be playing stereo. This would leave chnls 3/4 to deliver 330 w rms to a moderate 10" or 12" 4 ohm sub.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:33 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: none
Wet Sounds speakers

Wet Sounds speakers

Don't know if you are still looking but I sold my boat and pulled out my expensive Wetsounds and put back in the original system. I have a pair of white SW-650 with the white grill. All are Saltwater series but never anywhere close to salt water or even rain for that matter.

They cost me over $300 out the door just this past June will sell $195 for the pair

Also have the the white Wet Sounds SW-10FA with white grill $175

Prices plus just actual shipping from Peoria IL

Will post some actual pictures soon for now just the Internet pics.

http://www.wetsounds.com/pages/products/SW-650.html

http://www.wetsounds.com/pages/products/SW-10FA.html
Old 10-27-2012, 10:28 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 Mastercraft X-10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie View Post
Wet Sounds speakers

Don't know if you are still looking but I sold my boat and pulled out my expensive Wetsounds and put back in the original system. I have a pair of white SW-650 with the white grill. All are Saltwater series but never anywhere close to salt water or even rain for that matter.

They cost me over $300 out the door just this past June will sell $195 for the pair

Also have the the white Wet Sounds SW-10FA with white grill $175

Prices plus just actual shipping from Peoria IL

Will post some actual pictures soon for now just the Internet pics.

http://www.wetsounds.com/pages/products/SW-650.html

http://www.wetsounds.com/pages/products/SW-10FA.html

As a follow-up question to the ongoing discussion, Dixie - - - did you notice a big difference in sound between the Wetsounds speakers and the standard equipment?

I'm not in the market, actually - - - I'm just an audiophile and am curious.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:11 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: none
Difference

Had a decent set marine looking Sony speakers. The Wet Sounds blew them out of the water. I put one in the bow across from the Sony. Not even close just like the Pro 8's were a light year ahead of the super expensive Polk 3 way system in Skylon cans. I have yet to hear anything better than Wet Sounds on any boat. The 650's are heavy puppies!
Old 10-29-2012, 11:52 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft Maristar 1998 LT1
Great Thread for me as I am wanting to upgrade my tired old Maristar's speakers. My problem is that I want to keep all of the speakers matching on my boat.

The front speakers are 6.5" with surounding trims that will only fit about 6.75" max grills, or if removed must cover 8" cut outs from the trim pieces.

Also the rear speakers in the boat are 6X9's.
I am thinking about going with the Polk MM651's and MM691's. I would love JL's but No 6X9 options are available. This is also true for the WetSounds.

Any thoughts, suggestions or input?

Last edited by Greenster; 10-29-2012 at 11:56 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:30 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 Mastercraft Maristar 210 LTR
I put in (4) Polk Audio DB 651's in our Maristar with a JBL amp. Huge improvement over stock for very little cost. I was pleasantly surprised as was our teenage son.

Edit....just reread your post and saw your rears were 6 x 9. If you want to have them all the same my above input is of no value.

Last edited by LaRue; 10-30-2012 at 01:33 AM.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:24 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenster View Post
Great Thread for me as I am wanting to upgrade my tired old Maristar's speakers. My problem is that I want to keep all of the speakers matching on my boat.

The front speakers are 6.5" with surounding trims that will only fit about 6.75" max grills, or if removed must cover 8" cut outs from the trim pieces.

Also the rear speakers in the boat are 6X9's.
I am thinking about going with the Polk MM651's and MM691's. I would love JL's but No 6X9 options are available. This is also true for the WetSounds.

Any thoughts, suggestions or input?
Try memphis Marine. Very very good quality. And they make a 6x9. Part number: 15-MM692

http://www.memphiscaraudio.com/produ...rine-speakers/

Not too popular but great great sounding speakers. You can find these at most audio shops right next to the JL's. I almost bought them but decided on an all JL system. There amps and subs are good too. Their tower speakers are amazing horns and very loud
Old 10-30-2012, 09:27 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
They have some discontinued 6x9's too that may be cheaper. Part number 15-MA92
Old 10-30-2012, 01:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx822 View Post
Try memphis Marine. Very very good quality. And they make a 6x9. Part number: 15-MM692

http://www.memphiscaraudio.com/produ...rine-speakers/

Not too popular but great great sounding speakers. You can find these at most audio shops right next to the JL's. I almost bought them but decided on an all JL system. There amps and subs are good too. Their tower speakers are amazing horns and very loud
I've got memphis 6.5" (15-mm62) and think they're crap! The cone cracked rather quickly (within 6 months) and distorted the sound. The warranty was weird too that I couldn't get them covered. Sound isn't too bad but overall very unimpressed.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:21 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2007 X2
We have Polk MM651UM series in the cabin and a pair of wetsounds REV10's on the tower; the amp is MC factory Clarion.. We LOVE the clarity. I'm with etduc - The upgraded speakers are night and day. The boat came with the wetsounds hanging on the tower, we put in the Polk. My only gripe is that the wetsounds are about the size of basketballs... Such a thing as too big??? Blondes or Brunettes?? Who cares? As long as she can back a trailer, pull me in a straight and not "mulch" me IF she comes back to pick me up.

Tags
audio, speakers, tower