Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 10-25-2012, 07:26 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Rita View Post
I did some more disassembly last night, have the same two zerks you describe. I'm going to pump the zerk on the rudder full of grease, call it good. Hopefully it will be better next spring.
I actually found a 3rd zerk today before I buttoned her up...I need stronger glasses...lol
Old 10-25-2012, 07:37 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
I actually found a 3rd zerk today before I buttoned her up...I need stronger glasses...lol
yep, owners manual shows 3 zerks.

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Old 10-25-2012, 08:17 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1992 ProStar 205, 1991 Ski Pro
You guys are killing me! LOL! I really didn't want to remove the rudder, but all this talk has my OCD taking over, an irresistible force. Before I can remove the rudder, I'll have to remove the prop cage from the trailer, just another half hour of laying on my back on the cold garage floor scraping my knuckles. (sigh)

It sticks in my mind that I should have something soft for the rudder to land on when it falls out of the boat. True?

Is there a cure of MCOCD?
Old 10-25-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
You guys are killing me! LOL! I really didn't want to remove the rudder, but all this talk has my OCD taking over, an irresistible force. Before I can remove the rudder, I'll have to remove the prop cage from the trailer, just another half hour of laying on my back on the cold garage floor scraping my knuckles. (sigh)

It sticks in my mind that I should have something soft for the rudder to land on when it falls out of the boat. True?

Is there a cure of MCOCD?
There's a thread I have been looking for...shows how somebody put a jack under rudder... the $20 one from Wallyworld should do it...it will keep it from falling down.

MCDOCD is only curable by huge piles of cash...that way you can do other things while someone else does all the work...lol.

I love working on the boat..wish I could help ya Miss Rita but the Black Hills are a tad bit far way...
Old 10-25-2012, 09:07 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 Prostar 209 - MCX
Quote:
... It sticks in my mind that I should have something soft for the rudder to land on when it falls out of the boat. True?
Another set of hands perhaps?

Quote:
...Is there a cure of MCOCD?
I would say no.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:16 PM

The only relief is skiin' behind an MC or EastTX's type of boat...
Old 10-25-2012, 09:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 ProStar 205
Definately no cure for MCOCD. Even cash just means you are going to double check someone elses work instead of doing it yourself.

With that being said, I would see how the grease did. Its considerably easier than dropping the rudder, and as long as it took some grease, it should make a difference. I understand the dilemma though. I would lend a hand if closer.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:12 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 91 Tristar 19
Hey Rita,

Sorry to hear your rudder issues. When you showed me your Tristar a few years back, you mentioned you trailer it to/from the local lakes. Maybe grease the zerks and wait till spring to see what happens. If it's not fixed, then take it apart when you get it back in your garage? Such a low hour boat that maybe it just dried up over the years.

Was out in Rapid a few weekends ago with the family and was out on Angostura..very nice.

Steve
Old 10-31-2012, 11:24 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1992 ProStar 205, 1991 Ski Pro
The latest update: I tried to remove the rudder, it wasn't anxious to leave it's home of the past 23 years. I was unable to remove the tiller arm, but I was successful in breaking off the zerk on the rudder shaft housing. Any remnants of grease in there was completely dried out and powdery.

Any hints on how to remove the tiller arm? Judging by the looks of the grease I think the rudder needs to be disassembled, cleaned out, and re-lubed.

PS: Good to hear from you Steve!
Old 10-31-2012, 12:23 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '83 Metalflake Blue on Grey S&S Powerslot, 351W
Quote:
The latest update: I tried to remove the rudder, it wasn't anxious to leave it's home of the past 23 years. I was unable to remove the tiller arm, but I was successful in breaking off the zerk on the rudder shaft housing. Any remnants of grease in there was completely dried out and powdery.

Any hints on how to remove the tiller arm? Judging by the looks of the grease I think the rudder needs to be disassembled, cleaned out, and re-lubed.

PS: Good to hear from you Steve!
IIRC the clamp bolt has to be removed (not just loosened) to remove the tiller arm. You may have to pry the clamping section apart a little also.