Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 10-09-2012, 04:00 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: matrix sorrento 2006 315 mrcruiser
X2 prop removal... How to?

Hi, I was just attempting to remove my prop, 2007 X2. Have removed the prop nut and slid the prop down the splined shaft but is caught up against the rudder. I wouldn't have thought the rudder needs removing, or am I wrong. Is there a simple approach to this that I can't see... btw I did turn the rudder to one side. Cheers
Old 10-09-2012, 06:28 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X-2 2008
Send a message via Skype™ to Grant777
I had the same problem a few weeks ago. I was trying to remove the stock 14.75x15 OJ prop from my 2008 X-2. No matter what I did with the rudder there was no way the prop was coming off. I tried for a a few hours. Eventually I disconnected the rudder steering link from the hydraulic actuator on the starboard side of the engine. It's just one bolt, a little tricky to reach but with two of you will take about 10mins to release. The rudder then will swing through 90 degrees and the prop slides off no problem.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:35 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
I change mine (07 - X2) several times a year depending on the body of water I'm boating on and do it without messing with the rudder linkage. Now that I'm not in front of the boat I'm trying to remember which way I turn the rudder. I believe I push the blade of the rudder to the left. The rudder is slightly offset to the left which when biased in that direction will give you some additional room.

Let the prop slide all the way down the shaft so its off the splines and will turn freely, at that time you should be able to turn and rotate the prop enough to get it by the rudder. Don't try to force it, just turn it while moving it to a vertical position as you slide it off the bottom of the shaft and it should almost fall off. Take your time when you're turning it to find the location with the most clearance. You may also get just a little more clearance by moving the rudder blade back to the right a bit.

It takes a couple times to get the procedure down but believe me it will come off if turned and positioned correctly. After all someone put it on there and I can assure you they didn't remove the rudder to put it on. I've done mine so many times that I've actually done this while the boat was in the water after hitting a sunken island this summer in the Detroit river. The key is rotating the prop vertical once you find the location of maximum clearance. It's like on of those deals where you pull and pull then when you've given up and are about to walk away it falls off. You have to think in terms of Chinese finger cuffs.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:12 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X-2
Do as bturner2 says on how to position the prop once it's loosened. I personally turned the rudder to the left and have a friend "gently" pull on the rudder and it gives you enough clearance for the prop to come off. Getting the new one on is a piece of cake.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:05 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: matrix sorrento 2006 315 mrcruiser
Thanks for replies guys, as we are getting ready for our summer just wanna get this sorted, will give it crack
Old 10-10-2012, 09:00 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X-2 2008
Send a message via Skype™ to Grant777
You gotta let me know if you get yours off. Mine wouldn't come off. Perhaps different prop sizes work differently. Or maybe I'm just an idiot.