Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Underwater Running Gear

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 10-05-2012, 02:02 PM
TheWoons TheWoons is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Boat: 2014 X30. If you want a custom Soulcraft let me know :)
Location: Southwest
Posts: 664
Ask Wakeprops if they have put an OJ 5 blade on an X25, X45 or X30 and have real world experience I do with the 25 and 45 and will be putting a 5 blade on a 30 next week. The 5 blade does very well lugging around 7500lbs+ with boat and ballast. Much better than any 4 blade I've ever used and has great low end.
__________________
2014 X30
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-05-2012, 02:14 PM
bjames's Avatar
bjames bjames is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Boat: 2009 X-Star LY6
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
I contacted wakeprops about this prop for my X-30 and this was their reply:

Thank you for contacting us, Congrats on the new x30! The five blade is going to be less aggressive on the low end than what you are currently running. If you are looking to get on plane faster the Acme 2037 will defiantly get the job done http://www.wakeprops.com/acme-2307-propeller.html This going to be the best option for a weighted down boat and save you money in gas at surf and wake speeds.
I was basically told the same thing from one of the guys at my dealer.
__________________
Current: 2009 X-Star, Indmar 6L, 400hp, ZFT3 tower. c/w 1/9 scale R/C PWT X-Star

Owned:
2012 X25
2011 X25
2009 Moomba LSV
2009 Moomba Outback V
2008 Monterey FS180
Pelican 4 set paddle boat
plastic tug boat when I was 4
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-05-2012, 03:32 PM
Forrest-X45's Avatar
Forrest-X45 Forrest-X45 is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2009
Boat: X-45
Location: Northwest
Posts: 637
I agree with the feedback Tim received from Eric at OJ. I have run the 5 blade on my 45 and noticed a huge top speed drop off, more than 5 MPH. It performed about the same on hole shot as my current 4 blade but the 5 blade did maintain better speed control, less RPM jumping during waking and surfing. The best all around performance prop I have tried to date is the OJ 14.75x15.5. Best hole shot and top end.
If you don't care at all about top end speed and are going to run tons and tons of ballast then maybe the 5 blade is for you, otherwise I would stick with a 4 blade.
__________________
2008 X-45 Pro Tour Red and White
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-05-2012, 03:40 PM
CantRepeat's Avatar
CantRepeat CantRepeat is online now
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Boat: 06 X30
Location: Roll Tide!!
Posts: 8,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWoons View Post
There isn't an X25 on the planet that will go 45mph+ on a stock prop with a 5.7L. I've had two new X-Stars as well that both topped out at 38-39mph with no added weight (both 5.7's as well). With the 5 blade I still get to upper 30's close to 40 and that's the same as all three of my MC's. Someone on here did a Prop test and his results were the same as my findings and his top speeds were the same as my boats too.
I see. I was unaware that the X25 would not do mid 40ish with the stock prop. My X30 runs in the 40s with current stock prop but is kind of a bull on low end with ballast.

Eric suggested the 14.75 X 15.5 LC for better weighted low and with losing top end.
__________________
Tim
Gone, surfing.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-05-2012, 03:43 PM
CantRepeat's Avatar
CantRepeat CantRepeat is online now
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Boat: 06 X30
Location: Roll Tide!!
Posts: 8,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest-X45 View Post
I agree with the feedback Tim received from Eric at OJ. I have run the 5 blade on my 45 and noticed a huge top speed drop off, more than 5 MPH. It performed about the same on hole shot as my current 4 blade but the 5 blade did maintain better speed control, less RPM jumping during waking and surfing. The best all around performance prop I have tried to date is the OJ 14.75x15.5. Best hole shot and top end.
If you don't care at all about top end speed and are going to run tons and tons of ballast then maybe the 5 blade is for you, otherwise I would stick with a 4 blade.
Thanks for posting your feedback on the 5 blade. I'm pretty sure the 45 and 30 are pretty close in weight so with your feedback I'm not even going to test the 5 blade. I'll go with the 14.75 X 15.5 LC as suggested.

Thank you!
__________________
Tim
Gone, surfing.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-05-2012, 04:13 PM
V-man V-man is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Boat: 07 X45 8.1L, 13 X30 5.7L
Location: Arizona
Posts: 146
My main concern would be....how does the 5 blade affect my fuel burn? I would be fine with 5 MPH less top end, and slower hole shot, if I saved a couple GPH's.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-05-2012, 04:29 PM
Forrest-X45's Avatar
Forrest-X45 Forrest-X45 is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2009
Boat: X-45
Location: Northwest
Posts: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
Thanks for posting your feedback on the 5 blade. I'm pretty sure the 45 and 30 are pretty close in weight so with your feedback I'm not even going to test the 5 blade. I'll go with the 14.75 X 15.5 LC as suggested.

Thank you!

Hey - no problem. That's why we are all here, right?

I think you will be happy with your selection. Depending on what prop you are running now you might even pick up some top end.
__________________
2008 X-45 Pro Tour Red and White
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-05-2012, 04:38 PM
Forrest-X45's Avatar
Forrest-X45 Forrest-X45 is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2009
Boat: X-45
Location: Northwest
Posts: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-man View Post
My main concern would be....how does the 5 blade affect my fuel burn? I would be fine with 5 MPH less top end, and slower hole shot, if I saved a couple GPH's.
With the 5 blade you should run lower RPM's which in turn would burn less fuel. This only at surfing and wake speeds. If you like to cruise then you will see a noticable higher RPM to maintain your cruising speed which would cause higher fuel burn. Really depends on what you want.

Best advice - call Eric at OJ, he is the expert.
__________________
2008 X-45 Pro Tour Red and White
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-05-2012, 05:00 PM
TheWoons TheWoons is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Boat: 2014 X30. If you want a custom Soulcraft let me know :)
Location: Southwest
Posts: 664
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=43948

Another person who had the same results as us. No top speed loss with a 5 blade.
__________________
2014 X30
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-05-2012, 05:08 PM
CantRepeat's Avatar
CantRepeat CantRepeat is online now
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Boat: 06 X30
Location: Roll Tide!!
Posts: 8,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWoons View Post
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=43948

Another person who had the same results as us. No top speed loss with a 5 blade.
I guess, X45/30s are apples and oranges when it comes to top speed.

I just read the entire thread and unless I missed it he never talks about top speed. He has a chart that goes to 30 and nothing more. Is that the top end of an X25?
__________________
Tim
Gone, surfing.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:01 AM.