Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Towers

Old 10-04-2012, 12:40 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, X-1, 2007, RPT-1 5.7 Indmar, GO CARDS RED!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzimme View Post
FWIW, if the tower is already anodized you'll need to clean that surface first before powdercoating it. You'll definitely need to remove the tower, have it sand blasted, and then PC'd. Powdercoat will not stick to anodized surfaces for long and might start chipping off.
Actually anodized material will PC just fine. The anodize material will actually hold the PC better then mill in most cases.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, X-1, 2007, RPT-1 5.7 Indmar, GO CARDS RED!
Quote:
Originally Posted by willyt View Post
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=27622

check out the tower in the actual photos of the boat - instead of the inlay the outside/rim of the tower is black. IMO thats the best looking tower i've ever seen on any wakeboat, ever. the front tube has been wrapped with some sort of vinyl wrap, i thought it was called di-noc, but i might be wrong.

the fact that powder coating wont stick to anodized surfaces is a huge detractor.. i dont want to remove all the anodization thats already there.

anyone know if i can just re-dip it? maybe anodize it black...?
Not sure if there would be enough $$ in a job that small, but I know it can be done. I'll ask our shop if it's a possibility and get back to you.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:35 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, ps209, 2001, 330,
Anodizing is an electro-chemical process that converts the surface of aluminum to aluminum oxide that results is a very hard surface that will hold a dye. Aluminum oxide is very durable. it tis the same stuff that is used in sand paper. The anodizing process requires a heated acid bath and electric current thus re-anodizing a small area could be difficult.

In my experience powder coat sticks to everything and is incredible difficult to removed once properly cured.

Ask around your area. Both technologies are not that complex and is becoming more and more available.