Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 05-24-2012, 03:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarmarkMarine View Post
Certainly the Polk Audio dBs are a major player in the sub-$100 a pair coaxial category. But there is another level above that grade of speaker that makes a huge audible difference, especially when you add an external amplifier. Here is what you get with a Wetsounds or JL Audio marine coaxial as compared to most speaker products in the $100 range:
Rather than an interrupted midbass cone from a tweeter supporting pole piece you get a bridge/grill mounted tweeter and a continuous midbass cone. This results in more surface area and much better midbass performance. 50 percent of all musical fundamentals fall between 200 and 600 Hz and this is the sole domain of the midbass driver.
You might find a 'W'-dome tweeter in a less expensive coaxial with a much higher resonance and a more erratic response. A better speaker will transition to a true dome tweeter that has a much larger VC, lower resonance, is better damped and has a profoundly smoother response that impacts vocals, particularly female vocals.
From a stamped steel basket to a polymer basket.
Oftentimes going from a single pole highpass crossover to a two pole crossover. Steeper slope. More tweeter protection. less overlap. Smoother response.
A synthetic spider versus a linen spider. A linen spider will degrade in several seasons in a marine environment.
Your coaxials reproduce 7 of 8.5 octaves that are easily audible in a boat. This is where all the contrast and clarity comes from. These speakers determine the bass tonal construction and the bass pitch accuracy.
It escapes me why many choose this as the area to compromise. To my ears these are the most important audio components in the boat worthy of the largest investment.

David
Earmark Marine
So what do you like for cabin speakers Dave? I'm going to be mainly listening to music in a cove like a previous poster does and don't need anything the other side of the lake can hear. However, I do like a crisp, clear sound. My music tastes vary to just about everything but classical.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:24 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: TBD
Hogwild,
I like both the JL Audio and Wetsounds coaxials. Both have the best midbass by far.
The JL Audio has a coated silk soft dome tweeter that is very detailed while very smooth. And, a linear response is essential for a good image. Personally, I am a fan of the Euro style tweeters from Vifa, Seas, Audax, etc. and JL Audio absolutely subscribes to this sound. Many like the Wetsounds titanium hard dome tweeter because it is a bit more aggressive and that little extra emphasis makes everything sound a little more distinctive. And, I like the Wetsounds XS-650 too because it is not over-bearing in this respect. But, there are many others coaxials that are soooo bright that they ruin the musical balance and make vocals strident. In fact, I have to wonder if the designers of many coaxials have suffered severe hearing damage because they make their speakers so bright. Or, maybe they just want to stand out as the brightest speakers in the soundboard. While it may get your attention out of gate this type of speaker quickly fatiques me.
That is what I hear. I listen with a more analytical ear than most. Sound is subjective according to the health of your hearing, what you are accustom to and your past influences. Not everyone is going to agree with what sounds best.

David
Earmark Marine
Old 05-25-2012, 10:00 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2001 mastercraft x30
Also, why to the companies mean when they say the speakers are a component style coaxial speaker?
Old 05-25-2012, 10:12 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2006 Supra 20V
Component separates the tweeter from the midbass driver whereas a coaxial will have the tweeter in the middle of the midbass driver (generally).

Component - Separate tweeter and midbass drivers:

Coaxial - "all-in-one" so to speak:

Old 06-26-2012, 11:47 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2002 X Star, 1993 Prostar 190
I'm replacing the speakers in my 02 xstar and I'm leaning toward the Polk DB's. Is there an appreciable performance difference between the 651 coaxials in the $60 range and the 6501 components in the $120 range. I am generally content with factory car audio so the expense of high performance is normally a waste on me.

Can I get some thoughts on my needs?

I'll be replacing the tower speakers also. I'll probably go with the same speakers in the cabin and the tower. unless there is a compelling reason to go with something else in the same price range. Wetsounds and the like would be under utilized in my boat.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:06 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X9, MXC 350
The 6501's are about twice the power handling capacity and will be a better speaker setup. You're probably in the same boat as me and have eight 6.5 separates and don't want a hole left or want to leave the old clarion tweeter in. The 6501 would sound better at the same sound level as the 650 also. Another key to consider is your amp output.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:54 AM
TT Newbie

I have the original clarion 4 channel amp in the boat and I also have a Clarion XN3410 4 channel and a Clarion XN3210 that I purchased when I thought the original was shot.

With these amps available for use and the intention to replace the speakers with either 651's or 6501's how should I set this system up? and do the amps available change the speaker recommendation?
Old 07-05-2012, 08:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: pontoon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddummitt View Post
I have the original clarion 4 channel amp in the boat and I also have a Clarion XN3410 4 channel and a Clarion XN3210 that I purchased when I thought the original was shot.

With these amps available for use and the intention to replace the speakers with either 651's or 6501's how should I set this system up? and do the amps available change the speaker recommendation?
Not sure what older Clarion you have, but out of the other two, I would go with the XN3410 4 chnl. It will deliver 90W rms per chnl with a single speaker per chnl and around 82W per speaker if you have a pair wired in parallel to each chnl. This 4 chnl will be ideal for powering 4-6 in-boats. It will do fine for either the 650's or 6501's.

AZX9,

If you do not want to go with components or leave the old Clarion tweeters as dummies, swap them out with LED courtesy light assemblies.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:32 AM
TT Newbie

Sorry its been a while since I was here.

I ordered 6 Polk 651 coaxials to replace my existing speakers (4 cabin and 2 tower).
I have the existing amp (Calrion APX480M) which powers all six speakers and the original sub.
As previously mentioned, I have an XN3410 and an XN3210.

So, should I go with the XN3410 for the cabin and tower (as MLA mentioned) and the xn 3210 for the sub? Does this configuration provide proper balance?

We do not like the volume in the Cabin real loud but it would be nice to hear the stereo at the end of the rope. Is there a way to achieve this mix?... and of course without sinking a lot of money.

Last edited by ddummitt; 10-05-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:44 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarmarkMarine View Post
Hogwild,
I like both the JL Audio and Wetsounds coaxials. Both have the best midbass by far.
The JL Audio has a coated silk soft dome tweeter that is very detailed while very smooth. And, a linear response is essential for a good image. Personally, I am a fan of the Euro style tweeters from Vifa, Seas, Audax, etc. and JL Audio absolutely subscribes to this sound. Many like the Wetsounds titanium hard dome tweeter because it is a bit more aggressive and that little extra emphasis makes everything sound a little more distinctive. And, I like the Wetsounds XS-650 too because it is not over-bearing in this respect. But, there are many others coaxials that are soooo bright that they ruin the musical balance and make vocals strident. In fact, I have to wonder if the designers of many coaxials have suffered severe hearing damage because they make their speakers so bright. Or, maybe they just want to stand out as the brightest speakers in the soundboard. While it may get your attention out of gate this type of speaker quickly fatiques me.
That is what I hear. I listen with a more analytical ear than most. Sound is subjective according to the health of your hearing, what you are accustom to and your past influences. Not everyone is going to agree with what sounds best.

David
Earmark Marine
Have to agree. I have the JL m class 7.7 coax in front and component in the rear. The pop is amazing. They look like mini 8" sub woofers. Best part is your voice carries through and people can hear you even at loud volumes. But these are comparing $450/pair speakers to $100/pair speakers with those polks everyone is talking about.

Tags
audio, speakers, tower