Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-16-2012, 03:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: mastercraft x1 2006
x1 upgrade dilemma

Firstly, thanks for all the great info evertybody has given me here. I really appreciate your time and opinions. Dilemma might be a strech, i am planning to upgrade my hard tanks of my 06 x1 to 750 in the rear lockers. As i continue to get addicted to my boat, i was thinking of upgrading the speaker grills, and vent covers from mc by design. Its not cheap and im looking for advice. On one hand i love my boat, i just got it last year and would love to give it a great custom look. On the other hand, would this money be better put away for down to road in a few years to upgrade the boat as a whole. My x1 only has 200 hours on it so i hope to skate and surf behind it with the kids for a while. I know that its a personal thing, but i thought id see what folks had to say.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:42 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Over the top customizing can hurt resale value but tasteful customizing with upgrades that help the operation of said boat can be a plus ie ballast. If you plan on getting rid of this boat in a year or two you will not recoup upgrade money out of it especially for items like speaker covers and vent covers, hold your money for the next boat.

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Old 09-16-2012, 05:05 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Example of bad customizing
http://austin.craigslist.org/boa/3259346524.html

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Old 09-16-2012, 05:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 Matercraft Prostar 190, LTR330,powerslot,PP,heater
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.mccreight@hotmail.com View Post
Please, let's forget that boat is out there!!
Old 09-16-2012, 06:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2011 Mastercraft X-25
You should assume the money you put into these items will result in $0 of increased resale. So you should decide if the money you put into them will give you that much increased enjoyment of the boat. For me, not at all, but each person is different.

In my 05 X-2 I put a lot of money into the stereo system. I could have spent a lot less and enjoyed the boat just the same. The money didn't add to the resale value. When I bought an X-25, I spent far less on the stereo and happy I did.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:36 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2013 x30
Ok, I feel that its my turn to speeak here. This is my first post even though I've read the forum for about a year now.

Not to pick on kalmalka, this goes for lots of the possers on here thinking that they actually own a mastercraft. I know that I'm speaking for lots on this forum by saying that I'm growing tired of people who own an older mastercraft or a entry level x series boat like an x1or old *** x2 thinking that they are mastercraft owners. I have a new x30 and paid three times what a used x1 is worth and he's asking if he should accessorize his x1...Give me a break! He's probably the same guy who buys a used old MC and then buys a new MC t shirt and says he's a MC owner.

I saw a guy driving a truck at the launch with a huge mc decal on the back window. Wow, I'm thinking to myself, can't wait to see his boat. This guy backs in to pick up his late 80's prostar, what the #$@^^!!. I'm bothered by these people and I have to vent.

What happened to mastercraft boats being the "elite"

My answer to your question is don't waste your money..
Old 09-17-2012, 02:59 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2002 PS 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by realmastercraft View Post
Ok, I feel that its my turn to speeak here. This is my first post even though I've read the forum for about a year now.

Not to pick on kalmalka, this goes for lots of the possers on here thinking that they actually own a mastercraft. I know that I'm speaking for lots on this forum by saying that I'm growing tired of people who own an older mastercraft or a entry level x series boat like an x1or old *** x2 thinking that they are mastercraft owners. I have a new x30 and paid three times what a used x1 is worth and he's asking if he should accessorize his x1...Give me a break! He's probably the same guy who buys a used old MC and then buys a new MC t shirt and says he's a MC owner.

I saw a guy driving a truck at the launch with a huge mc decal on the back window. Wow, I'm thinking to myself, can't wait to see his boat. This guy backs in to pick up his late 80's prostar, what the #$@^^!!. I'm bothered by these people and I have to vent.

I think you have it backwards, many of these older prostar owners probably had these boats when you were in diapers (guessing at your age). And these older prostars and early Xseries are what made MC what it is today. Question for you, do you really own your boat or does the bank???
Old 09-17-2012, 03:02 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2013 x30
what does it matter if the banks owns it or not, i'm driving it and paying it off! at least I didn't buy a used beater and call myself a mastercraft owner.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:02 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 x14v
People buy and own MC's for a multitude of reasons. All levels, at all income brackets.

As I was always told, "don't forget where you came from".
Old 09-17-2012, 03:05 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
Quote:
Originally Posted by realmastercraft View Post

First of all, congratulations on the "new" X 30. It is a pretty boat, but I see why you have not posted until now, bc apparently your crap doesn't stink. I believe you are the minority in this one, as most people that I have dealt with on this forum enjoy other MC boats, new or old. It doesn't matter how much you pay for a boat or what model of MC you own. If you own a 1970 $2k MC that is a piece of crap, you are still a MasterCraft owner. If I wanted to go out and buy, or in your case, probably finance an $80k boat, I can, but I chose not to, as that is my choice. Whenever I choose to turn around and sell my boat, I may actually make money on it bc I was able to get a good deal. To me, that is probably a smarter financial decision, which is rarely the case with boats. If you feel as though you are better than everyone else, hey more power to ya. It just sounds to me like you are compensating for something and I bet you have a big truck too.

kalamalka, Now to the original questions. While I am a bit conservative with how I like for my boat to look, I agree with everyone that says don't do too much, if you don't want to lose too much. However, if you want new speaker covers that set your MasterCraft apart and that makes you feel better, go for it.