Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-27-2012, 08:16 PM
84starsandstripes 84starsandstripes is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Boat: 1984 MasterCraft 351
Location: Midwest
Posts: 46
'84 S&S - Excessive water coming in above floor line?

It seems like when I'm at about 80% throttle or higher and come off the throttle hard to about 10% or less I get an excessive amount of water coming in from the back right. It has to be above the floor line since it **seems like it comes from behind the seat.....

My neighbor with the '83 seems to think it's just coming from above the rubrail or perhaps over the side but it just seems a bit hard to believe, especially since I did it Sunday morning with only me in the boat (+175LBS and no cooler!)

With that said, the boat in general seems to take in VERY little water, the bilge stays very low on water so there is no way it's a constant leak.

Has anyone experienced this??

Thank you in advance!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-27-2012, 08:49 PM
petermegan's Avatar
petermegan petermegan is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Boat: 2000 Matercraft Prostar 190, LTR330,powerslot,PP,heater
Location: South Australia
Posts: 477
Just a thought but I had a rat (dirty dirty rat) that ate a hole in my speedo tube. Could not find the leak as it only leaked at speed. It may be something like this and when you throttle off the level of the boat changes and allows the water to run down the floor toward the front. Just an idea?? Do your speedo/s still work?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-27-2012, 09:14 PM
Cloaked Cloaked is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Boat: MasterCraft
Location: Kingston,TN USA
Posts: 4,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84starsandstripes View Post
It seems like when I'm at about 80% throttle or higher and come off the throttle hard to about 10% or less I get an excessive amount of water coming in from the back right. It has to be above the floor line since it **seems like it comes from behind the seat.....

My neighbor with the '83 seems to think it's just coming from above the rubrail or perhaps over the side but it just seems a bit hard to believe, especially since I did it Sunday morning with only me in the boat (+175LBS and no cooler!)

With that said, the boat in general seems to take in VERY little water, the bilge stays very low on water so there is no way it's a constant leak.

Has anyone experienced this??

Thank you in advance!!!!!
Peter in OZ has a valid point.

If you're all about finding the leak, pull the rear seat, the rear fuel cell cover panel, remove the engine cover, and pull the rear center floor section. Take it out on the water and get a friend to look for a leak. First place I'd look is the drive shaft packing gland, and have new graphite packing handy...

Next place I'd look is the exhaust hose to transom connection, then I'd look for a hole in the muffler(s).

Next place I'd consider is the platform brackets that are mounted with lag bolts into the transom. Water pushing the platform when slowing can open up a loose lag bolt....

The neighbor also has a valid point but that is usually at slower speeds...

.

.
__________________
93 190
.
Don't be a boot licker
.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8



Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

.

Last edited by Cloaked; 08-27-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-27-2012, 11:36 PM
mikeg205's Avatar
mikeg205 mikeg205 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Location: Plainfield - Joliet, IL
Posts: 11,728
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Probably coming thru the deck and hull joint. At just the right speed - attitude of boat and spray is right against rub rail... IMO
__________________
...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-28-2012, 12:28 AM
sargentino's Avatar
sargentino sargentino is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Boat: Mastercraft, Stars & Stripes, 1984, 351,
Location: Troutdale, Oregon
Posts: 33
Send a message via Yahoo to sargentino
I have seen this happen on mine.... I re culked the edge around the boat and ski platform mounts speeds ect.
Now the only time i get a bunch of water in the back is when I do back turns....lol
__________________
YOUR ROSWELL WAKE-AIR TOWER DEALER....
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-28-2012, 12:40 AM
84starsandstripes 84starsandstripes is offline
TT Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Boat: 1984 MasterCraft 351
Location: Midwest
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by petermegan View Post
Just a thought but I had a rat (dirty dirty rat) that ate a hole in my speedo tube. Could not find the leak as it only leaked at speed. It may be something like this and when you throttle off the level of the boat changes and allows the water to run down the floor toward the front. Just an idea?? Do your speedo/s still work?
Thanks for the response! Speedo's don't work but I have new speedo tubes that I need to install so this is very possible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloaked View Post
Peter in OZ has a valid point.

If you're all about finding the leak, pull the rear seat, the rear fuel cell cover panel, remove the engine cover, and pull the rear center floor section. Take it out on the water and get a friend to look for a leak. First place I'd look is the drive shaft packing gland, and have new graphite packing handy...

Next place I'd look is the exhaust hose to transom connection, then I'd look for a hole in the muffler(s).

Next place I'd consider is the platform brackets that are mounted with lag bolts into the transom. Water pushing the platform when slowing can open up a loose lag bolt....

The neighbor also has a valid point but that is usually at slower speeds...

.

.
I have a strong feeling that it's the rear platform brackets. The entire platform seems pretty loose, especially when weight is put on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentino View Post
I have seen this happen on mine.... I re culked the edge around the boat and ski platform mounts speeds ect.
Now the only time i get a bunch of water in the back is when I do back turns....lol
Rubrail and everything will most likely be redone this winter so if I don't find it by then we'll see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorczak1 View Post
Probably coming thru the deck and hull joint. At just the right speed - attitude of boat and spray is right against rub rail... IMO
Definitely possible, water does get pretty high when coming off!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
1984, s&s, stars and stripes

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:05 PM.