Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 08-27-2012, 08:16 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1984 MasterCraft 351
'84 S&S - Excessive water coming in above floor line?

It seems like when I'm at about 80% throttle or higher and come off the throttle hard to about 10% or less I get an excessive amount of water coming in from the back right. It has to be above the floor line since it **seems like it comes from behind the seat.....

My neighbor with the '83 seems to think it's just coming from above the rubrail or perhaps over the side but it just seems a bit hard to believe, especially since I did it Sunday morning with only me in the boat (+175LBS and no cooler!)

With that said, the boat in general seems to take in VERY little water, the bilge stays very low on water so there is no way it's a constant leak.

Has anyone experienced this??

Thank you in advance!!!!!
Old 08-27-2012, 08:49 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 Matercraft Prostar 190, LTR330,powerslot,PP,heater
Just a thought but I had a rat (dirty dirty rat) that ate a hole in my speedo tube. Could not find the leak as it only leaked at speed. It may be something like this and when you throttle off the level of the boat changes and allows the water to run down the floor toward the front. Just an idea?? Do your speedo/s still work?
Old 08-27-2012, 09:14 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84starsandstripes View Post
It seems like when I'm at about 80% throttle or higher and come off the throttle hard to about 10% or less I get an excessive amount of water coming in from the back right. It has to be above the floor line since it **seems like it comes from behind the seat.....

My neighbor with the '83 seems to think it's just coming from above the rubrail or perhaps over the side but it just seems a bit hard to believe, especially since I did it Sunday morning with only me in the boat (+175LBS and no cooler!)

With that said, the boat in general seems to take in VERY little water, the bilge stays very low on water so there is no way it's a constant leak.

Has anyone experienced this??

Thank you in advance!!!!!
Peter in OZ has a valid point.

If you're all about finding the leak, pull the rear seat, the rear fuel cell cover panel, remove the engine cover, and pull the rear center floor section. Take it out on the water and get a friend to look for a leak. First place I'd look is the drive shaft packing gland, and have new graphite packing handy...

Next place I'd look is the exhaust hose to transom connection, then I'd look for a hole in the muffler(s).

Next place I'd consider is the platform brackets that are mounted with lag bolts into the transom. Water pushing the platform when slowing can open up a loose lag bolt....

The neighbor also has a valid point but that is usually at slower speeds...

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Last edited by Cloaked; 08-27-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:36 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Probably coming thru the deck and hull joint. At just the right speed - attitude of boat and spray is right against rub rail... IMO
Old 08-28-2012, 12:28 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft, Stars & Stripes, 1984, 351,
Send a message via Yahoo to sargentino
I have seen this happen on mine.... I re culked the edge around the boat and ski platform mounts speeds ect.
Now the only time i get a bunch of water in the back is when I do back turns....lol
Old 08-28-2012, 12:40 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1984 MasterCraft 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by petermegan View Post
Just a thought but I had a rat (dirty dirty rat) that ate a hole in my speedo tube. Could not find the leak as it only leaked at speed. It may be something like this and when you throttle off the level of the boat changes and allows the water to run down the floor toward the front. Just an idea?? Do your speedo/s still work?
Thanks for the response! Speedo's don't work but I have new speedo tubes that I need to install so this is very possible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloaked View Post
Peter in OZ has a valid point.

If you're all about finding the leak, pull the rear seat, the rear fuel cell cover panel, remove the engine cover, and pull the rear center floor section. Take it out on the water and get a friend to look for a leak. First place I'd look is the drive shaft packing gland, and have new graphite packing handy...

Next place I'd look is the exhaust hose to transom connection, then I'd look for a hole in the muffler(s).

Next place I'd consider is the platform brackets that are mounted with lag bolts into the transom. Water pushing the platform when slowing can open up a loose lag bolt....

The neighbor also has a valid point but that is usually at slower speeds...

I have a strong feeling that it's the rear platform brackets. The entire platform seems pretty loose, especially when weight is put on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentino View Post
I have seen this happen on mine.... I re culked the edge around the boat and ski platform mounts speeds ect.
Now the only time i get a bunch of water in the back is when I do back turns....lol
Rubrail and everything will most likely be redone this winter so if I don't find it by then we'll see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorczak1 View Post
Probably coming thru the deck and hull joint. At just the right speed - attitude of boat and spray is right against rub rail... IMO
Definitely possible, water does get pretty high when coming off!

Tags
1984, s&s, stars and stripes